Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:09:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone please explain a security aspect of BitCoin to me?  (Read 1047 times)
Crystallas

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 04:03:29 AM

It's all on the blockchain.

The blockchain is anonymous. It shows transactions but no way of telling who owns the addresses

Yep, which IMO, is a major... MAJOR plus for security. Like others have said, if you want some type of extra verification service, they exist as well.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mithrandi

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 04:29:04 AM

The transaction is of course visible in the blockchain for anyone to see, and since you control the sending address, you could sign a message using the key(s) of the wallet address(es) the payment was made from if you needed to prove that you are the person that sent the transaction. Unfortunately, there is nothing stopping the *recipient* from claiming that the bitcoin address you sent the funds to is the wrong address; I believe this is something that the "Signed URIs" proposal at http://electrum.org/bitcoin_URIs.html is attempting to solve, but I don't know if any online store currently implements this.

Aztec

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 04:35:05 AM

Yep, which IMO, is a major... MAJOR plus for security.
Completely agree with this. I don't want every tom dick and norbert knowing what I'm buying on Silk Road
flavius

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

welcome to riches

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:40:55 AM

A transfer being reversible is just as bad as it not being reversible. You can't win when it comes to selling online, either the seller takes a loss, or the buyer does, there is no middleground that fixes everything.

If it's reversible sellers will lose money, and you have to realize it being reversible would be pointless if the user had already moved the money, since you can't have a negative bitcoin balance.

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: