Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:57:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can one's PM be full?  (Read 664 times)
Xiaoxiao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 11:43:22 AM

I receive a lot of PM's and also use this feature as a valuable form of communication with a lot of people, which is why I'm wondering if their is a limit to the # of messages one can have in their inbox.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 11:58:32 AM

No. Having too many PMs will slow down your inbox though.
ndnh
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005

New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 02:10:50 PM

I receive a lot of PM's and also use this feature as a valuable form of communication with a lot of people, which is why I'm wondering if their is a limit to the # of messages one can have in their inbox.

No. I couldn't find it but theymos had answered a similar question.

Having too many PMs will slow down your inbox though.

What do you mean? I haven't noticed any slow down just yet anyway.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 02:17:40 PM

I am not really sure that I understand why, but according to theymos, after you have a certain number of PMs in your inbox, it will take longer to access your PMs. I have 515+ pages of messages in my inbox and it takes a noticeably longer amount of time to access my inbox, verses how long it takes me to access my inbox in accounts with ~20 pages of PMs.

It started being noticeably slow when I had 200 or so pages of messages in my inbox.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:18:42 PM

I am not really sure that I understand why, but according to theymos, after you have a certain number of PMs in your inbox, it will take longer to access your PMs. I have 515+ pages of messages in my inbox and it takes a noticeably longer amount of time to access my inbox, verses how long it takes me to access my inbox in accounts with ~20 pages of PMs.

It started being noticeably slow when I had 200 or so pages of messages in my inbox.

Right. When you load any PM page, it actually does some processing of all of your PMs. The SQL query is really complicated, so I haven't been able to figure out how to optimize this. (After you load one page, it'll be fast for a while due to caching.)

Also see:
I actually have code written for exporting PMs into an mbox file compatible with Thunderbird, but I haven't gotten around yet to figuring out how best to present this functionality to users. (It's unusual because it takes a bit of time to generate and the resulting file should maybe be encrypted.)

If any established members have a strong need for it, I can manually create an export for you. For example, if you have so many PMs that the PM page is slow to load for you, you can get a PM export from me and then use the "purge PMs" feature. I'll probably only do this one time per person...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2016, 08:28:49 PM

I posted about a problem related to fat inboxes a while ago where sorting by sender seemed to mess up / cut off: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1032329.0

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2016, 08:50:22 PM

Right. When you load any PM page, it actually does some processing of all of your PMs. The SQL query is really complicated, so I haven't been able to figure out how to optimize this. (After you load one page, it'll be fast for a while due to caching.)

Also see:
I actually have code written for exporting PMs into an mbox file compatible with Thunderbird, but I haven't gotten around yet to figuring out how best to present this functionality to users. (It's unusual because it takes a bit of time to generate and the resulting file should maybe be encrypted.)

If any established members have a strong need for it, I can manually create an export for you. For example, if you have so many PMs that the PM page is slow to load for you, you can get a PM export from me and then use the "purge PMs" feature. I'll probably only do this one time per person...
If for example, there was a reason, possibly due to a dispute that an old PM would be needed to be publicly verified, would there be a way to prove that the contents of a PM was what was actually received? Currently someone could allow access to their account (bad idea, but some people do this sometimes), or the PM can be reported to a moderator who can quote the contents of the PM. 

Also, if you were to export the PMs for someone, would you be willing to do it again if they were to receive x00 additional pages of PMs subsequent to you doing this? Or, is this unlikely to happen prior to when the new forum comes out (and it will no longer be an issue)?
Das

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 08:48:09 AM

So if I have so many messages on my inbox running to several pages, I could just delete my old messages to reduce the number of pages and have shorter loading time... right?
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2016, 10:02:31 AM

So if I have so many messages on my inbox running to several pages, I could just delete my old messages to reduce the number of pages and have shorter loading time... right?

Yes, at least the first time you load it as after that its at least partially cached.

Xiaoxiao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 07:03:05 PM

Another question: I see that bitcointalk.org is https, but the inbox has a disclaimer that messages cannot be guaranteed to be secure.  What does that mean?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 08:05:09 PM

Another question: I see that bitcointalk.org is https, but the inbox has a disclaimer that messages cannot be guaranteed to be secure.  What does that mean?
It is trivial for either Theymos or BadBear to view anyone's personal messages. If the forum were to get hacked then it would be possible that the hacker could view the content of any personal message you have ever sent or received.

There is also the option to receive an email with the content of a personal message anytime someone receives a PM. The security of any given email service is unknown, and it is possible for someone to intercept the content of such PMs between bitcointalk's SMTP server and the email server of the receiver's email service.

It is always prudent to GPG encrypt any message that you do not want to be made public, or at the very least send a privnote link (that only works once) that would make it difficult to prove the content of the message.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: