Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:47:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to import privatekey in electrum desktop wallet?  (Read 1658 times)
mobnepal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 03:57:06 PM

This question may sound silly however i couldn't see option to import private key in electrum wallet. I have tried importing via console like in other alts wallet but it is giving error, what is the actual code that can be used to import private key in eletrum console.

I used;
Code:
electrum importkey : private key
In console
Jhanzo

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

Thank satoshi

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 04:02:27 PM

Create a new wallet and choose "Restore a wallet or import keys" then enter any private keys you wish to import.  That's the only way you can import private keys in electrum afaik.  Better to just sweep so you can still make use of the standard deterministic wallet.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2016, 04:02:53 PM

Electrum is a hierarchical deterministic wallet. That means all its private keys and therefore addresses are generated from the same seed.
If you import a key then it couldn't be generated from that master key. To protect users from losing their coins importing an external private key is normally disabled.
It is strongly recommended to sweep your key instead (Wallet > Private keys > Sweep) so its funds will be moved to an address whose private key can be generated from the master seed.

Alternatively you can create a new wallet (File > New/Restore > Restore a wallet or import keys) but sweeping is the best solution most of the cases.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: