Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:38:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't fight a bull trap (worth reading)  (Read 1237 times)
yokosan (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:55:46 AM

Disclaimer: I am currently 25% BTC, 75% $

A bull trap occurs when you get a bullish signal on a stock only to watch that stock fall further and further down. When a situation like this happens it is important to remember not to fight it. Don’t put more money into a losing position trying to force it to go back up, (unless you have several billions of dollars of play money of course.)

Every investor and trader will get caught on the wrong side of a trade from time to time no matter how good of a trader they are. You can lessen how often it will happen by looking at things like trends, and fundamentals of a company. But nothing can eliminate bad trades altogether.
So, what do you do when you’re caught in the middle of a trap? The most important thing to do is to cut your losses short. The smaller your losses are when you are wrong the less they will affect your account.

The way to succeed trading the stock market is not to never make mistakes and always pick good stocks. We will all make mistakes from time to time we are not perfect and the signals that we trade off of are not perfect either.

The secret of making money in the long term as a trader is to make sure your losses are small and your winners are huge. If you get into a stock that heads down you can always cut your losses short and move onto the next trade. If you keep your losses short you do not need to win big on the next trade in order to come back from it.

If you do not get out of a bad trade early or even add to the bad trade it can drastically increase your loss for the stock. This means your next winner will have to be huge just to make up for the previous loss, and if you want to be profitable overall your winners have to be that much bigger.

Something my dad always taught me is when you are digging yourself in a whole; the first thing to do is to stop digging. It is the same when trading stocks. If you are losing money on a bull trap the first thing you should do is to stop putting money into that stock.

That is why it is considered a buy signal when a stock is at support. If a stock breaks support it is likely that it will continue to go lower and it is time to get out of that position. In other words by buying at support or close to it you can easily exit with a small loss if the stock breaks lower, and let it run if it continues to go up and make higher highs.

It is impossible to predict exactly what will happen next, regardless of what method you use. So reacting and preparing for all possible situations is essential to making a decent return.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 12:05:20 PM

A bull trap occurs when you get a bullish signal on a stock only to watch that stock fall further and further down. When a situation like this happens it is important to remember not to fight it. Don’t put more money into a losing position trying to force it to go back up, (unless you have several billions of dollars of play money of course.)

Every investor and trader will get caught on the wrong side of a trade from time to time no matter how good of a trader they are. You can lessen how often it will happen by looking at things like trends, and fundamentals of a company. But nothing can eliminate bad trades altogether.
So, what do you do when you’re caught in the middle of a trap? The most important thing to do is to cut your losses short. The smaller your losses are when you are wrong the less they will affect your account.

The way to succeed trading the stock market is not to never make mistakes and always pick good stocks. We will all make mistakes from time to time we are not perfect and the signals that we trade off of are not perfect either.

The secret of making money in the long term as a trader is to make sure your losses are small and your winners are huge. If you get into a stock that heads down you can always cut your losses short and move onto the next trade. If you keep your losses short you do not need to win big on the next trade in order to come back from it.

If you do not get out of a bad trade early or even add to the bad trade it can drastically increase your loss for the stock. This means your next winner will have to be huge just to make up for the previous loss, and if you want to be profitable overall your winners have to be that much bigger.

Something my dad always taught me is when you are digging yourself in a whole; the first thing to do is to stop digging. It is the same when trading stocks. If you are losing money on a bull trap the first thing you should do is to stop putting money into that stock.

That is why it is considered a buy signal when a stock is at support. If a stock breaks support it is likely that it will continue to go lower and it is time to get out of that position. In other words by buying at support or close to it you can easily exit with a small loss if the stock breaks lower, and let it run if it continues to go up and make higher highs.

It is impossible to predict exactly what will happen next, regardless of what method you use. So reacting and preparing for all possible situations is essential to making a decent return.

I thought you sold 99% of your BTCs and were through with trading?
yokosan (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 12:12:21 PM

Then the bear trap came and I made a tidy profit 30 mins later.

It's an addiction. I'm working on it, but yeah... it's hard when there are so many suckers out there.
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 12:26:41 PM

It's an addiction. I'm working on it, but yeah... it's hard when there are so many suckers out there.

So you made huge mistakes trading yet you're still giving advice?

Mark Oates

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 12:38:54 PM

I'd rather get advice from people who have made mistakes than people who haven't.  You can't teach luck.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 12:41:40 PM

Huh? He sold before the drop and he made a profit buying back in, how is that a mistake?
yokosan (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 12:50:45 PM

I've made many mistakes in the past. The biggest of which was turning all profit into $. Wont make that mistake again.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 01:22:32 PM

I've made many mistakes in the past. The biggest of which was turning all profit into $. Wont make that mistake again.
ha ha, and another mistake is turning 75% into $
yokosan (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 02:01:52 PM

ha ha, and another mistake is turning 75% into $

Maybe, but I would wait another 36 hours before being sure.

Monday morning is the time to re-evaluate the strategy for the coming week.
XxionxX

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

Digital money you say?

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 12:05:49 PM

I don't brow beat anyone for not holding bitcoin, but why are you holding so much usd? The usd market is looking grim atm. You don't have to be a goldbug to know that you should diversify out of the usd.

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 12:07:58 PM

I have a better suggestion. Do not trade 1 minute chart, trade weekly chart instead.

-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: