Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:37:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain R1 - When is the chip going to be upgraded  (Read 893 times)
lovenlifelarge (OP)

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 05:37:55 PM

The R1 currently has the 1384 chip (I believe?)

When will the R2 with the 1385 chip? (The S7 chip)

And / Or will the R3 with the 1387 chip? (The S9 chip)

I really wanna get on board with the IOT's in the bitcoin arena but the R1 just doesnt cut the mustard whatever way i work it.

& the only other machine out there, The 21 Computer is still priced a little to high...

When will bitmain release the R3 (1387 chip) in the router??

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 09:35:25 PM

I doubt they are going to bother 'till they at least get close to selling out on existing R1 units.

*IF EVER*

R1 is BM1384 for the mining chip.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 04:31:33 PM

I doubt they'll ever make another rendition of anything even remotely close to the R1 ever again- the U3 was mainly discontinued, and the R1 wasn't ever too widely bought. IIRC there was something about Gekko compacs and U3s running on the R1, and the U3s wouldn't go zombie with some kind of software Crazyguy's firmware fixed all of those issues and also allowed the Gekkoscience Compac to run on the R1, pretty neat stuff! The R1 was a great idea on paper, but nobody really bought into it too much, and it'll just go into the trash with the U-series. Unless Bitmain makes another set of USB-based miners(which is unlikely, since the demand for those has generally shrunk to almost nothing, and it's a bit of a niche market), there's nearly no chance for an 'R2'.
bomberb17

Activity: 773
Merit: 528

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 04:32:19 PM

They should also let the user choose to mine in a pool, instead of forcing solo-mining.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 04:34:16 PM

They should also let the user choose to mine in a pool, instead of forcing solo-mining.
There's software for that; Crazyguy's firmware allows you to use the 5 GH/S on a pool of your choice. I'll link it to you later if you're interested, but I don't really remember where it was located.
Pretty neat stuff, also fixed the U3 Zombie issue. It's not the best miner for its price anyways, and unless you're using the outdated U3 or the Gekko Compacs on them, it's worthless, at least to me.
gt_addict

Activity: 2520
Merit: 622

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 04:37:31 PM

R1 Firmware upgrade from crazyguy:-

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=612390.msg6775261#msg6775261

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
bomberb17

Activity: 773
Merit: 528

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 04:44:16 PM

Even so, efficiency is very bad for today's standards.
If bitmain upgrades its chip I would consider buying.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 08:13:33 PM

I don't see it happening as I don't think they got the sales they wanted.  It had a decent amount of hype and added to antpool a special page in hopes of showing R1 hitting a block.  But don't think I have heard of anyone with R1 getting this lucky (but I have not been looking).   I think they had high hopes and it just did not sell like a full miner does for them.

Also it was a U3 controller, so if they would do a new R series likely would make sense to do a new U series.  But again I think they won't make these in foreseeable future.  The money per amount of hash is just high as not a lot of chip's on either device.  So I don't see cost's ever being close to buying a full big miner.  So with that and small sells I would put it in the neat category that I would play with if they do make, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 06:10:28 PM

My personal opinion is that the Antminer R1 will be placed in a glass case, right next to the 21 Inc. Bitcoin computer, and the Bitfury Mining Light Bulb.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 07:13:10 PM

My personal opinion is that the Antminer R1 will be placed in a glass case, right next to the 21 Inc. Bitcoin computer, and the Bitfury Mining Light Bulb.

2 of those really never made it very far which show's how little interest most companies have selling a product with so little profit.  21 Inc made a RPI topper for a insane price they knew would not sell but only a few.   I always wondered how many they even made as I think it was a very limited batch.

I still would buy a Bitfury light bulb today if it sold.  But they said it would come to market... and never did ended up being a show piece they seem to have did to try to impress Richard Branson ( https://twitter.com/richardbranson/status/606827985388335105 ) when they had a few companies go to his island a while back.  On these did we ever see more then the 3 they showed off?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: