Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:20:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Mixer - How to Secure your Identity !  (Read 1951 times)
Gianluca95 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 09:47:47 AM

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-mixer-how-to-secure-your-identity

Bitcoin was designed as an anonymous and decentralized currency. But transactions are never truly anonymous, as they are recorded and available on the Blockchain — the distributed ledger which keeps a record of every Bitcoin transaction.

When you use Bitcoin to pay for goods and services, you need to provide your name and address to the seller for delivery purposes. This means that a third party can trace your transactions and find ID information. This is the reason why there are such services as Bitcoin mixer, for example, which allows you to exchange your Bitcoins for different ones which cannot be associated with the original owner.

Martin Albert, Bitalo Owner, explains to CoinTelegraph:

“You cannot overcome the general principles of the Bitcoin network, that means in the end you can only make it very complicated to track individual coins, but still you can track every coin back to the block where the coin was mined.”

And you? What do you think about mixer?

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2016, 09:50:46 AM

Mixers have their place and serve their purpose, but bitcoin was never designed to be anonymous. You can put your money to services that do not require your information or only minimal. When you buy milk in the store, do they ask for your address? Would you buy milk at a store that does? So why is it ok to give out your address when buying digital goods?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 09:59:54 AM

Yes bitcoin is not true anonymous so we can use crypto mixing services for keep be anonymous, it is like [banned mixer] who has low fees and low minimal transaction only 0.001 BTC . You can mix 0.001BTC it is secure, save and fast.
SAMKUSH

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 10:07:50 AM

I have never used a mixer as of yet but I have been thinking of using it in the future if I need to keep my Bitcoin transactions anonymous.   Most of the services I use do not store much personal information about me.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 10:42:17 AM

Mixers have their place and serve their purpose, but bitcoin was never designed to be anonymous. You can put your money to services that do not require your information or only minimal. When you buy milk in the store, do they ask for your address? Would you buy milk at a store that does? So why is it ok to give out your address when buying digital goods?

I think providing the address that is mentioned in the article is for delivery purposes. If you buy purely digital goods I don't see any reason the provide your physical address. But when you buy physical goods online using bitcoin, the goods somehow need to arrive at your home.

Unless you use a PO box or something, you will always need to provide personal details when buying this type of stuff.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 10:49:22 AM

I am happy that we have such a thing as a mixing service. All coins that I withdraw from exchanges that will be sent to my cold wallets, will go through bitmixer first before ending up in my cold wallet. I don't want an exchange to follow me and hand over information to governments and such.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2016, 10:59:47 AM

I think providing the address that is mentioned in the article is for delivery purposes. If you buy purely digital goods I don't see any reason the provide your physical address. But when you buy physical goods online using bitcoin, the goods somehow need to arrive at your home.

Unless you use a PO box or something, you will always need to provide personal details when buying this type of stuff.

That is true, when you need goods delivered you have to provide an address. It must not be a personal one though. Can be a company one, a PO box like you said or even a local store can work sometimes. Breaking connections between digital and physical identities is not easy and requires work, but with a little creativity it can work.

I think bitcoin is more often used for digital goods and I had several occasions where I was asked to provide a full address for those (e.g. gift cards). One time they even wanted to verify my (obviously fake) address. I asked for a refund in bitcoin and somehow a verification was no longer needed (I assume they never held any bitcoin). Its usually the last time I use a service like that. At least according to german law a company should only store the information that are needed(!) for a deal. My address is not needed when I pay with bitcoin for a gift card worth a reasonable amount.

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2016, 11:08:33 AM

Ive never used bitmixer but im more than aware of its capabilitys. but i would say if you are looking to use your cryptocurrencys for something that you wish to have more or complete anonymity then your best bet is probably to use an atrenative coin that supports higher anonymity. I wont bother offering an example since im sure thats a debate in itself. For me though i dont really need the extra anonymity , Should i need to for any reason i wouldnt hesitate to use a mixer since they are their to serve that purpose.

pandalion98

Activity: 504

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2016, 12:00:22 PM

I think people only use mixers if
    1. They're paranoid
    2. They've committed a crime and don't want any link to the stolen coins.

Bitcoin wasn't designed to be anonymous, just like what the others here on this thread are saying.
yenxz

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 12:36:03 PM

Hmmmm ,, to date I have not tried using a mixer but I have thought to use them in the future .
If I have to keep my bitcoin anonymous , because most of the services that I use do not store personal information about me .
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 12:37:23 PM

That is true, when you need goods delivered you have to provide an address. It must not be a personal one though. Can be a company one, a PO box like you said or even a local store can work sometimes. Breaking connections between digital and physical identities is not easy and requires work, but with a little creativity it can work.

I think bitcoin is more often used for digital goods and I had several occasions where I was asked to provide a full address for those (e.g. gift cards). One time they even wanted to verify my (obviously fake) address. I asked for a refund in bitcoin and somehow a verification was no longer needed (I assume they never held any bitcoin). Its usually the last time I use a service like that. At least according to german law a company should only store the information that are needed(!) for a deal. My address is not needed when I pay with bitcoin for a gift card worth a reasonable amount.

nobody need your address if you buy milk. that is true, but if they find out, that somebody in their store poised all the packages containing milk, then they could warn all the costumers.
this is not very likely but an argument. also if i buy/sell a car or something with a certain price i want to have some sort of address just in case. and i don't care if it is just a digital product or not.   

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 12:39:54 PM

I think people only use mixers if
    1. They're paranoid
    2. They've committed a crime and don't want any link to the stolen coins.

Bitcoin wasn't designed to be anonymous, just like what the others here on this thread are saying.

You are wrong. In the whitepaper of bitcoin it can be clearly read "bitcoin is electronic cash system". Cash means anonymity. So in any case, bitcoin needs to become way more anonymous to stay true to the definition of what cash is, we must push for an agenda that is pro-anonymity to strengthen bitcoin. Once governments start tracking everything you will wish that bitcoin is more anonymous.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2016, 12:40:52 PM

nobody need your address if you buy milk. that is true, but if they find out, that somebody in their store poised all the packages containing milk, then they could warn all the costumers.
this is not very likely but an argument. also if i buy/sell a car or something with a certain price i want to have some sort of address just in case. and i don't care if it is just a digital product or not.   

"Just in case"? Which case, Im paying bitcoin. Wait for a confirmation and there are only cases where I need to contact you, because you sold me a shit car.

Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 12:48:26 PM

having mixing services is always a good thing in bitcoin, because apart from anonymity that everybody is talking about , there is another concept that is important to a lot of people and that is privacy.
it is so important to keep one's privacy when online, especially when you are using something like bitcoin where every random person on the internet can have access to this public data called blockchain and see what you are up to and you can even be targeted if your privacy is compromised.

Only Bitcoin
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 12:55:28 PM

"Just in case"? Which case, Im paying bitcoin. Wait for a confirmation and there are only cases where I need to contact you, because you sold me a shit car.

well did you read the part with the poisoned milk? also let us say the manufacturer discovered a flaw in his car where suddenly the breaks don't work anymore.
If i would have your address, than i could warn you in both these cases. i would certainly appreciate it if i would not have to die.
buy i guess it is your own choice.     

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2016, 01:27:30 PM

well did you read the part with the poisoned milk? also let us say the manufacturer discovered a flaw in his car where suddenly the breaks don't work anymore.
If i would have your address, than i could warn you in both these cases. i would certainly appreciate it if i would not have to die.
buy i guess it is your own choice.     

As long as its my choice, Ill take the risk of poisoned milk. I also hear press is pretty good at reaching people when cars have a major flaw.

Cuidler

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 04:25:38 PM

I think bitcoin is more often used for digital goods and I had several occasions where I was asked to provide a full address for those (e.g. gift cards). One time they even wanted to verify my (obviously fake) address. I asked for a refund in bitcoin and somehow a verification was no longer needed

It seems the verification request was to protect themselves if the gift card is stollen. But then it doesnt make much sence as you cant return digital goods and the cost to sue you for a theft is not worth it. Plus it is easier to stole it from torrent sites than use stolen gift card. So I see no reason why they requested verification, maybe its just their routine.

To stay anonymous with Bitcoin requires a lot of thinking when to use the mixer. But it is better than using one wallet for many years, as then everybody can check your habbits in the last few years with a bit of effort. No effort required if you just use one address - crazy people and services using one Bitcoin address only.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
Lionidas

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 04:28:34 PM

I would not trust a mixer site with my identity what so ever.
Their business is in hiding ones traces from others knowing where your bitcoin transfer are coming from and frow. So what do you think they would be doing with your personal i.d?
Makes not much sense to me to trust them at all. Angry
lemipawa
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 04:32:39 PM

Well so far mixers serves its purose for me since Im using an exchange to convert my coins to fiat and that exchange doesnt want coins coming from gambling sites so instead of creating another wallet and send it there before it reaches the exchange site I would rather send my coins to mixers and so far no problem yet.

However I noticed that the address that mixers use are fresh or new with no transaction, so for tgose who are tracking someone its  kinda like a give away tgat the coins was sent to an address created by a mixer.
SmartIphone
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 07:12:06 PM

As shorena says it is not needed for everything to ask us to provide ID/selfie with ID and lots of other verification procedures which are needed mostly for lifting the limit for debit cards or using exchanges.
I like the idea of bitcoin mixers because sometimes it is needed to use these, but I hate when it is used by hackers which hide their identity in this way mostly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: