Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 05:44:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralizing Torrents.  (Read 240 times)
cryptor0th (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 07:09:26 AM

Hey

As you may know by now Kick ass torrents was  taken down last week by the FBI.
We have repeatedly seen trends of centralized repositories of decentralized files being taken down over the years. I was wondering what is stopping people from leveraging the same technology in sharing the said repository too.
Consider OpenBazaar - at the end of the day, it is a decentralized repository of items, with reputation tied to individual accounts. In cases such as the Panama leak, there was a clear need for a decentralized whistle blowing tool that would allow anyone at any level of governance to leak information without personally being in trouble.

What I am proposing is something similar to Open Bazaar

>Client runs on the PC's of those sharing / downloading files
>Client required to "share" / upload - files of certain amount before they can download - maintaining network
>All files shared across the network (think storj)
>Credibility of uploader verifiable by previous downloads and upvotes (think steem)

The reason why I believe in something like this is

>Whisteblowing is increasingly becoming difficult
>Centralized repositories of file sharing are repeatedly taken down
>Anonymously establishing identity / reputation is crucial while sharing files and having this on a blockchain helps

This is a gist of what I believe would be the future of file sharing. I'll follow up with a white paper later this week.
Feel free to discuss / think out loud in the mean time.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2016, 07:14:43 AM

One thing you should consider is that if you are going to have a blockchain implementation then it would be best to separate the "content" from the chain (e.g. just keep the hash of the content in the block that is stored).

In this way any content can be deleted if required as you would not want people using the system to end up in jail due to unwittingly having "illegal content" stored on their computer.

Of course you could just encrypt all stored content but authorities can demand your password so that isn't necessarily the safest approach.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: