Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:10:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please remove/lock scam attempt threads  (Read 515 times)
justdimin (OP)

Activity: 2996
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 05:55:17 AM

I do see a practice of deleting threads which are begging for money (including asking donation/asking support in money).
Why not Staff members enforce same rules to "confirmed scam attempts". Permanent locking of those threads also would save many members from possible scams/problems.

I know classifying as confirmed scam attempt is hard. But concluding with an old scammer is not a big deal, I believe.
Here is the case I am talking about:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1572130
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1572134

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Backside walkaround

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 06:01:32 AM

Scams aren't moderated here, though begging, spamming, and trolling are if you can believe it.   It's one of the strange things about this forum.   So it's up to the community to leave these and other scammers red trust.  There's nothing else to be done.

If the original Backside walkaround can prove to me they are the old owner of this account, I can update the email address to the email address of their choosing.
Backside walkaround has lost access to their account as they used someone else's email address to sign up, and the owner of the email address got tired of random email notifications from this site after a few months and reset the password.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 06:05:21 AM

I don't see why we would generally just get rid of those threads, or are they random examples? If you had read the forum rules, you would have known that:

Scams aren't moderated here, though begging, spamming, and trolling are if you can believe it.   

It's one of the strange things about this forum.
I don't think it's strange at all. Deciding whether something is a scam or not isn't as easy as you think (surely there are some obvious example, but then again there are complex ones as well). There's potential for great error. However, if someone feels like this should be changed then the thread should be oriented towards a rule change suggestion.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
justdimin (OP)

Activity: 2996
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 06:24:01 AM

However, if someone feels like this should be changed then the thread should be oriented towards a rule change suggestion.
Thank you very much for foreseeing some possibilities.

Based on some certain number of reviews from Staff/DT members, we might have classifications like 'possible scam attempt' and 'confirmed scam attempt' (Already warnings are being issued similar to these).
Then a thread which is being concluded as 'confirmed' (by considerable amount members) must be removed or perma locked. Just suggesting yet again.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 06:30:27 AM

Based on some certain number of reviews from Staff/DT members, we might have classifications like 'possible scam attempt' and 'confirmed scam attempt' (Already warnings are being issued similar to these).
Then a thread which is being concluded as 'confirmed' (by considerable amount members) must be removed or perma locked. Just suggesting yet again.
That classification may indeed be alright. I don't see staff interfering at 'possible scam attempts' as this could do damage if some of us occasionally make a bad call or two. On the other hand, getting rid of confirmed scams may be a bit redundant. Wouldn't you say that, after something has been confirmed to be a scam (posts, threads, negative rating), that almost everyone avoids it? Additionally, if we lock/remove their thread, then we would have to keep an eye out for them so that they don't bring it up once more.
Don't get me wrong, I would not mind cleaning up some sections in regards to that, but the current rules do not involve handling either potential nor confirmed scams.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 09:42:56 PM

Evidence and provability are paramount on this discussion board. When you see someone begging in a post, you can easily tell that that's what that poster is doing. The same goes for posting referral links, copy-pasting other member's posts and running a spambot. However, scams are harder to define. While it's true that some scams are obvious, it would still have to be definitively provable in practice, and trying to prove every scam as such is just too much work for the mods. That's what the trust rating is for. Instead of having the mods run around trying to prove that a dubious project is a scam, they can just delete the easily provable spam posts while the members police and monitor themselves against scammers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: