Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:48:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Returning to bitcoin after sometime - Any tips would help  (Read 923 times)
blogospheroid (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 03:24:18 AM

Hi all,

I'm returning back to reading and browsing about bitcoin after sometime.I didn't realise that an India sub-forum was also there (I'm Indian)

I need a little help.

I had a really old version of the client that has a text wallet.
I stopped updating my blockchain a long time ago.

I want to move my coins to some wallet that requires just a password to remember and doesn't need the entire blockchain.

Any tips on how I can move my wallet? Are there any options other than upgrading my client and downloading 7 GBs or something?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 03:34:38 AM

If your wallet.dat is unencrypted, this is not a problem at all, you can import your wallet.dat file.

If it is encrypted, easiest option is to let your blockchain download once and then move it out. or use pywallet to decrpyt.

Else, select 'run', type %appdata% and hit enter.

Go into the Bitcoin folder and make a backup of the file wallet.dat.

Go to blockchain.info and create a web wallet and upload your private keys and its done.

If you not very confident of doing it, reach out to me and we can do a  quick Team Viewer session to get you underway.

blogospheroid (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 04:36:45 AM

Hi Benson,

Thanks for the info. Is the blockchain.info web wallet secure or is it prone to vanishing the way that mybitcoin did? I don't mean to impugn anybody's motives, but this has happened before.. So, I'm wary.. I heard electrum offers a way to store the wallet without downloading the entire blockchain, Is that true?

Warm Regards and Thanks in Advance.
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 04:41:42 AM

Blockchain.info does not store your private keys.
It is a user friendly service with multi-factor authentication as well, so quite secure.

You could also explore Electrum, Paper wallet, Brain wallets and several other ways to secure your Bitcoins.

I think someone was also offering a service to send a copy of the blockchain on a DVD for BTC.

Am sure that more suggestions will come up as the thread grows

blogospheroid (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 05:07:19 PM

Hi Benson,

Real life took over and I could not follow up with your comment. If there is a doc on the net where this is explained, could you share it with me? I don't want to take your personal time away.

Warm Regards and Thanks in Advance
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 05:34:22 PM

Finding it surprisingly hard to find a document as such that explains the process.

You could try different tutorials like how to find my wallet.dat, then search for how to import my wallet.dat into electrum or blockchain.info.

Am hoping someone may simplify this for you a bit more.

Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 06:36:54 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2013, 07:12:41 PM by Amitabh S

Hi all,

I'm returning back to reading and browsing about bitcoin after sometime.I didn't realise that an India sub-forum was also there (I'm Indian)

I need a little help.

I had a really old version of the client that has a text wallet.
I stopped updating my blockchain a long time ago.

I want to move my coins to some wallet that requires just a password to remember and doesn't need the entire blockchain.

Any tips on how I can move my wallet? Are there any options other than upgrading my client and downloading 7 GBs or something?

if you have only a few keys, you can try the blockchain.info import link that allows importing keys from an encrypted qt wallet. Will dig it up link later if you can't find it.

I recall there were some bugs when the number of keys is large.. Some keys are not imported.

EDIT: Link is https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
blogospheroid (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:03:45 PM

Thanks, Benson and Amitabh. I will dig around and if I'm too wary, I'll come back here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: