Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 08:42:06 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Security breach exchange Bitfinex - Update 6th of Aug 2016  (Read 1396 times)
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1452

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 01:12:27 AM

Just another example of why not to leave funds on an exchange for extended lengths of time.  

I feel bad for those who lost out, I hope the amounts were minimal and Bitfinex is able to make everyone whole.

I cant believe i'm still surprised at this whole hacking thing but i actually am.
Thought their security was pretty tight nowadays after their last hack from some time ago ....

It should be. After all the exchange hacks that have occurred in the history of bitcoin, it is funny that the exchanges today have not learned anything. Maybe some exchanges are set up and are running some sort of "long con" now? I do not know if it is just me but I am not comfortable keeping my money in an exchange based in Asia.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 04:09:17 PM

Latest update dd 6th of Aug 2016

https://bitfinex.statuspage.io/

Bitfinex Interim Update

Incident Report for Bitfinex

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 05:05:34 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2016, 05:31:48 PM by iamnotback

I told you they would be forced to pool the losses, and I updated that logic/explanation today:

I don't think the non-BTC accounts are protected. Even if they were also segregated accounts, the bankrupty of Bitfinex should view all segregrated accounts in equal legal standing, thus they all must suffer proportionally.

The theft is Bitfinex's liability.

So all non-BTC accounts on Bitfinex should be affected proportionally. I presume Bitfinex will eventually realize this. Unless law is somehow different in Hong Kong.

I presume the knee-jerk selloff of BTC is an overreaction. Bitfinex still has significant resources, so everyone on Bitfinex should probably get a loss but not a total loss.

Joel Katz is mistaken:

As I explained  four days before, your logic that bankruptcy is required is incorrect because presumably the BTC funds held at Bitgo were not partitioned according to segregated accounts, thus the BTC is part of BTC and non-BTC pool of assets which backs all segregrated accounts BTC and possibly also non-BTC. Your logic would only apply to physical non-fungible assets. Thus even if Bitfinex were not bankrupt, it would still need to spread the loss proportionally to all "segregated" accounts BTC and non-BTC. The concept of segregated account is not to be used for what you are thinking, rather it is to protect the account holder from a lawsuit against Bitfinex which would attempt to grab those assets marked as owned by the segregated account owners. But since these assets are not partitioned by account number, then all of the BTC and possibly also non-BTC accounts are of equal standing w.r.t. to the asset pool. So although Bitfinex would be bankrupt if they could not pay the BTC account holders out of proportional losses for other account holders (BTC and/or non-BTC), they do not have to declare bankruptcy in order to spread the losses proportionally, unless the assets were partitioned by segregated account number. But with a fungible, electronic asset, it seems entirely arbitrary to mark some fungible units for some accounts if all were accessible by the same password set vulnerability. The vulnerability indicates the assets were not partitioned, at least not for all BTC account holders although perhaps one could make an argument that the non-BTC assets were partitioned since they were apparently not subject to the same vulnerability as partitioned. QED.

In other words, the pertinent qualifier is, “segregated from what?”. The crypto assets were segregated at least from the other business liabilities of Bitfinex, but not from each other (or at least not BTC accounts segregated from each other).
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: