Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:59:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: *HELP LOST BITCOINS*  (Read 803 times)
lukek1993 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 07:06:41 PM

Hi Guys, first time poster here.

I have been buying bitcoins for a few months now but only small transactions.
I bought £170 worth earlier (.353 btc)

Copied the electrum receiving address and pasted it into bitbargains send address.
It has been several hours and nothing has come into my account, i checked the receiving address on electrum and the coins are in a watch only wallet. (I dont believe it is mine)

I have no idea how this happened and i am extremely worried. Can anyone advise on what i can do please Sad

i can provide all proof that the coins were purchased by me ( appears on my bank statement, show my account on bitbargain etc.)
i just need to know how to get them from this watch only wallet into my own wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 07:09:47 PM

Please post the bitcoin wallet address or better yet post the transaction. So we have some information to look at.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 07:11:27 PM

Hi Guys, first time poster here.

I have been buying bitcoins for a few months now but only small transactions.
I bought £170 worth earlier (.353 btc)

Copied the electrum receiving address and pasted it into bitbargains send address.

Did they send the coins? Is the transaction confirmed? Can you post the transaction id?

It has been several hours and nothing has come into my account, i checked the receiving address on electrum and the coins are in a watch only wallet. (I dont believe it is mine)

So you are watching someone elses address (why?) and send coins there? (why??)

I have no idea how this happened and i am extremely worried. Can anyone advise on what i can do please Sad

i can provide all proof that the coins were purchased by me ( appears on my bank statement, show my account on bitbargain etc.)
i just need to know how to get them from this watch only wallet into my own wallet.

You cant. A watch only wallet is one - as the word says - where you watch only, you cant spend. Its missing the crucial part (the private key). Electrum does not just generate these wallets, you have to specficially create it. How did you create the wallet exactly?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 07:16:13 PM

Here are the details from blockr.io in regards to my transaction:

Hash
1VVNzb5kVDSLHAsYrxCuMbKv1bSisHDS2
Balance
0.35200000 BTC
Total received
0.36150000 BTC
Transactions
Unconfirmed
0.00000000 BTC
Note: Unconfirmed balance is not part of the address balance or total.

this amount is showing in that hash wallet when i copy and past it into electrum open/restore wallet. but is saying it is watch only.

I have no recollection of ever creating a watchonly wallet. I have only ever used the one and havent had this issue in the past.
In my list of receiving addresses on my wallet i cannot find this particular one
raj1

Activity: 35

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 07:23:34 PM

Hash
Balance
0.35200000 BTC
Total received
0.36150000 BTC
Transactions
Unconfirmed
0.00000000 BTC

this amount is showing in that hash wallet when i copy and past it into electrum open/restore wallet. but is saying it is watch only.

I have no recollection of ever creating a watchonly wallet. I have only ever used the one and havent had this issue in the past.
In my list of receiving addresses on my wallet i cannot find this particular one
so is this the withdrawl address you have set into bitbargans because this address is created last month and i think you also have its private key in any of your wallet brecause if you copyed it from someone other then it should be used multiple time but it is not.so tell me how many wallets do u have
lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 07:37:55 PM

"so is this the withdrawl address you have set into bitbargans because this address is created last month and i think you also have its private key in any of your wallet brecause if you copyed it from someone other then it should be used multiple time but it is not.so tell me how many wallets do u have"

Yes this is the address my electrum wallet generated for me when i opened it up earlier today.
I have around 3 wallets in total (one default and 1 that i used my seed key to open up which in turn duplicated it)

I have no recollection of setting up a watch only wallet. I have absolutely no idea how this random generated code came up, especially when it is linked to someone elses.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 07:40:26 PM

Hash
Balance
0.35200000 BTC
Total received
0.36150000 BTC
Transactions
Unconfirmed
0.00000000 BTC

Yes, because you copy pasted an address. That is how you create a watch only address. If I could spend your bitcoin because I had your address bitcoin wouldnt work, because no one could tell anyone their addresses.

If the address is not from your wallet, why did you use it for a withdrawal and expect the coins to end up in your wallet?

-snip-
so is this the withdrawl address you have set into bitbargans because this address is created last month and i think you also have its private key in any of your wallet brecause if you copyed it from someone other then it should be used multiple time but it is not.so tell me how many wallets do u have

There is no such thing. It was maybe used for the first time in a transaction last month.

"so is this the withdrawl address you have set into bitbargans because this address is created last month and i think you also have its private key in any of your wallet brecause if you copyed it from someone other then it should be used multiple time but it is not.so tell me how many wallets do u have"

Yes this is the address my electrum wallet generated for me when i opened it up earlier today.
I have around 3 wallets in total (one default and 1 that i used my seed key to open up which in turn duplicated it)

I have no recollection of setting up a watch only wallet. I have absolutely no idea how this random generated code came up, especially when it is linked to someone elses.

Now Im confused. You say its not in your list of addresses, but it was created by your wallet?

lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 07:48:46 PM

Hash
Balance
0.35200000 BTC
Total received
0.36150000 BTC
Transactions
Unconfirmed
0.00000000 BTC

Yes, because you copy pasted an address. That is how you create a watch only address. If I could spend your bitcoin because I had your address bitcoin wouldnt work, because no one could tell anyone their addresses.

If the address is not from your wallet, why did you use it for a withdrawal and expect the coins to end up in your wallet?

Because when i first loaded electrum up today, in my receive address - this was the one that was provided to me, i simply clicked the small blue copy button and put it into my bitbargain send address. i didnt just make it up.

-snip-

There is no such thing. It was maybe used for the first time in a transaction last month.

Now Im confused. You say its not in your list of addresses, but it was created by your wallet?

correct, it was in my recieve address at first, it then dissapeared after i clicked save. i cannot find it anywhere in my list of addresses.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 08:07:28 PM

-snip-
correct, it was in my recieve address at first, it then dissapeared after i clicked save. i cannot find it anywhere in my list of addresses.

Not even here?

Try signing a message with the address. If you can the wallet has the private key for it and its just an update problem.

Here is a step by step for signing with electrum -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0

lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 08:30:12 PM

Hi Shorena, when i do this, it asks me to enter my password. which i do, it then proceeds to tell me this is an invalid address.

How do i paste pictures in? it doesnt allow me to do so.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 09:31:27 PM

Hi Shorena, when i do this, it asks me to enter my password. which i do, it then proceeds to tell me this is an invalid address.

So its part of the wallet, the wallet is just fucked up somehow. Try restoring from seed again.

How do i paste pictures in? it doesnt allow me to do so.

You have to upload them somewhere else and put the link (due to your rank it will not show). I use imgur.com

lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 09:49:45 PM

Here we go:

http://imgur.com/a/qxOTj

this is where the problem, i have reloaded my wallets from seed. like i say the watching only wallet is not recongised as my own. How i got the address for this wallet is a mystery, like i say my electrum wallet generated this receiving address initially. upon further inspection this is not one of my addresses.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 10:05:04 PM

Its not under "used" either?

this is where the problem, i have reloaded my wallets from seed. like i say the watching only wallet is not recongised as my own. How i got the address for this wallet is a mystery, like i say my electrum wallet generated this receiving address initially. upon further inspection this is not one of my addresses.

lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 10:27:23 PM

No it is not under used either, it isnt even a part of my change wallet  Huh Huh
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 10:51:52 PM

No it is not under used either, it isnt even a part of my change wallet  Huh Huh

So you need to figure out where you got the address from, because its likely an address you have copied from somewhere like a website or an address book.

lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 10:57:06 PM

What would your recommendations on this be then?

I am 95% certain that this code was on the receiving address page where you have the option to set expiry, save and new.

How can i rectify this situation, i am literally f*cked if there is no resolution
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 11:08:02 PM

What would your recommendations on this be then?

I am 95% certain that this code was on the receiving address page where you have the option to set expiry, save and new.

Well:

#1 its true, which means you have malware that injected the address in your electrum so you would send the coins to the hacker instead of your own wallet.
#2 its not true and you got the address from somewhere else, probably around that time. Keep in mind that its not a "new" address. As raj1 pointed out the address was used before.

IMHO #2 is more likely. It might even be one of your addresses from a different wallet.

How can i rectify this situation, i am literally f*cked if there is no resolution

You cant undo a transaction. Your only solution is to figure out where the address came from. If its the address under control of someone else, try to contact them.

lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 11:33:40 PM

How can i find out the owner of the address???
lukek1993 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 11:45:48 PM

upon further inspection, if you look at the picture i posted earlier, the last time i withdrew btc (14/07/2016 at 13.27) - the 9.6 mbtc i sent, 9.5 went to this watch only wallet...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: