Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:53:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Bitfinex. Will they cover the 65 million dollar BTC Theft or just fold?
They will cover the loss. - 2 (3.4%)
They won't cover the loss. - 28 (48.3%)
They will not cover and not fold. - 13 (22.4%)
They will cover and fold - 5 (8.6%)
No frigging idea. - 10 (17.2%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex. Will they cover the 65 million dollar BTC Theft or just fold?  (Read 2077 times)
Barbut

Activity: 1694
Merit: 502

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 06:39:25 AM

I have no idea, what if they did it from inside and now talking about some hackers. Who can cover 65 million dollars? Probably they will just give one big sorry letter to everyone, full with some excuses.

As I know this is not the first time something like this happening, and for sure not the last time. People should start to be more careful with their money, I never keep my coins on exchangers.

I'm sorry for people who lost their coins, but I doubt they will be refunded. Looks like people should think twice before choosing where they will trade.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
corporatist

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 06:40:20 AM

That's why the bitcoin price it's going down?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10436

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 06:40:44 AM

I don't feel comfortable attempting to answer this poll because it is based on a premature assumption regarding the supposed exact amount that Bitfinex lost in this latest attack, and without even evidence of the remainder of their holdings.

i take your point..thus the no frigging idea choice was added it can apply to all the above....

(its not like i really know how to setup a correct poll don't ya know) Smiley

They have confirimed on reddit they lost just over 119 thousand Bitcoin

"They?"   I have read a couple of reddit threads that have that theory, but did Bitfinex confirm or admit to the situation? 

I am not trying to negate the potential validity of some investigations done by insightful technical folks, but we really need some kind of confirmation and/or rendition by Bitfinex - and maybe it is true that the Reddit folks are right on the money, but until then, I still consider the matter to be a bit speculative with some potential holes regarding the extent of money moved by whom and who controls the private keys and whether any of those moved coins are recoverable (or the private keys).

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
beastmodeBiscuitGravy

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 06:45:38 AM

I don't feel comfortable attempting to answer this poll because it is based on a premature assumption regarding the supposed exact amount that Bitfinex lost in this latest attack, and without even evidence of the remainder of their holdings.

i take your point..thus the no frigging idea choice was added it can apply to all the above....

"They?"   I have read a couple of reddit threads that have that theory, but did Bitfinex confirm or admit to the situation?  

I am not trying to negate the potential validity of some investigations done by insightful technical folks, but we really need some kind of confirmation and/or rendition by Bitfinex - and maybe it is true that the Reddit folks are right on the money, but until then, I still consider the matter to be a bit speculative with some potential holes regarding the extent of money moved by whom and who controls the private keys and whether any of those moved coins are recoverable (or the private keys).

https://np.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/4vtv1m/bitfinex_down_due_to_bitcoin_security_breach/d61oetn

This isn't "folks on reddit". This is Zane Tackett https://www.reddit.com/user/zanetackett, Bitfinex's community relations guy. This is as straight from the horse's mouth as you'll get.

It is confirmed in the just released WSJ article as well.

Time to accept it.

[Where is the: They won't cover, and will fold, option? or is that just implied?]
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 06:56:01 AM

"They?"   I have read a couple of reddit threads that have that theory, but did Bitfinex confirm or admit to the situation?  

https://np.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/4vtv1m/bitfinex_down_due_to_bitcoin_security_breach/d61oetn

This isn't "folks on reddit". This is Zane Tackett https://www.reddit.com/user/zanetackett, Bitfinex's community relations guy. This is as straight from the horse's mouth as you'll get.

Time to accept it.

[Where is the: They won't cover, and will fold, option? or is that just implied?]

hey i admit it is a crummy poll I made Sad

but the 'thread' seems to be there is no way they can cover that much $$ and survive...but take this poll with a grain of salt..if I had a life I woud not have made it Sad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
lordlucan

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 07:04:32 AM

Well Zane says less than 50% of the held bitcoin was taken,no other altcoin was taken and no Cash.I think you will see bitfinex up and running quite quickly.As for how they address the losses now thats another issue but if you had US dollars in your account as I did I think they will still be there.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:12:46 AM

Time to accept it.

No one is trying to deny anything, and yep those links that you provided seem to confirm that Bitfinex folks are admitting to the nearly 120k BTC loss, which hopefully also means that at some point in the very near future they are going to be able to provide an update to their status page including an admission to the amount of coins that they lost and maybe other relevant and detailed information that will help, instead of making us have to surf through various reddit threads to figure out what is going on.

Regarding the poll, I do now have enough information to answer it, which I did, and I see the poll results.  There sure is a lot pessimism regarding Bitfinex's ability to cover the losses... Surely, that is a lot of value (i mean the bitcoins) to admit to losing in such a short period of time,,, so yeah, understandable pessimism.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
kenscho

Activity: 234

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:14:45 AM

anyone has the hash link from these 120k bitcoins?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 07:15:19 AM

Honestly, every single person who lost money there is at fault. Have these people learnt nothing from Mt.Gox? Keeping high amounts of Bitcoin on online services is just a 'theft waiting to happen'. Bitfinex made two mistakes in their setup:
1) No cold-storage layer.
2) No withdrawal limit/sanity check.

I couldn't care less whether these people get their money back. I'm more interested in how the hacker managed to get the money out of a multi-signature implementation.

anyone has the hash link from these 120k bitcoins?
They obviously aren't on 1 address.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:40:09 AM

I really don't know how they will handle this situation because that is really a huge amount. If they can cover that, well that would be great. However, if not, then we must learn some lessons from it. Storing bitcoin/money online is always a risk that's why we must consider things like this before deciding to put such amount. Even though I don't have money on Bitfinex, I do hope that they can fix this issue so that customer losses can also be addressed.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 07:43:42 AM

I really don't know how they will handle this situation because that is really a huge amount. If they can cover that, well that would be great.
Great for who exactly? The ignorant people who kept a large amount of money on a singular service that is online 24/7, which is completely counter-intuitive to securing your own Bitcoin?

However, if not, then we must learn some lessons from it.
I've seen the word "must" hundreds of times, yet most people learn nothing from this. It's time to stop talking and start doing something.

Storing bitcoin/money online is always a risk that's why we must consider things like this before deciding to put such amount.
You don't say?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
clickerz

Activity: 1414
Merit: 505

Backed.Finance

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 08:50:26 AM

I thats almost $60,000,000++ according to some report,as value varies but still thats a huge amount. Hope they can recover it and continue its operation.Many clients are worried if they can recover thier bitcoin investment. Keep us updated here.

Open for Campaigns
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 08:59:50 AM

1. According to some sources, which can be considered "trustful", the stolen amount was 119,756 BTC. This is more like $72-75Mn (considering the price of Bitcoin at the time).
2. I'm not sure what was the exact market cap, but the breech is probably the major reason, which wiped out between $1.5Bn and $2Bn in the cryptocurrency market. The loss is not only on Bitfinex, but it is also to day traders, "weak hands" and pretty much everybody. We are talking about 100s of millions $ in "short term losses".

Personally I believe that Bitfinex have the funds to recover the loss, but more important is that cryptocurrencies were hurt in general with another negative impact. Don't exactly remember, but I think that only Karpeles is blamed for the 750k BTC "stolen" from MtGox. What happened next? He spend like a year in jail and was recently released. The way I see it, Bitfinex guys has 3 options:

1. Offer a good bounty for the hacker/s and I really want him to agree on that. The guy is already rich, but it has to protect himself all the time. If I was the hacker/s, I would accept the bounty for everybody's sake.
2. Take whats left (which would be tens of millions $ for sure) on the exchange, take some time in minimum security jail and continue with their lives on the back of everybody who had deposits on the exchange.
3. To (at least) try to restore all of the stolen funds.

I believe that 1st scenario would be best for everybody.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:03:27 AM

I'm more interested in how the hacker managed to get the money out of a multi-signature implementation.
My money's on BitGo being compromised. They used a unique 2-of-3 scheme in which they have (or can get) access to 2 of the keys. At least they did two years ago, and I as far as I know nobody heeded the warnings that this was a stupid idea. Roll Eyes

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
chichidori
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:07:55 AM

If they have anything left they might give a small amount back but in my opinion they will not pay and fold. hacking Involving BTC is getting worst.
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:34:14 AM

Time to accept it.

No one is trying to deny anything, and yep those links that you provided seem to confirm that Bitfinex folks are admitting to the nearly 120k BTC loss, which hopefully also means that at some point in the very near future they are going to be able to provide an update to their status page including an admission to the amount of coins that they lost and maybe other relevant and detailed information that will help, instead of making us have to surf through various reddit threads to figure out what is going on.

Regarding the poll, I do now have enough information to answer it, which I did, and I see the poll results.  There sure is a lot pessimism regarding Bitfinex's ability to cover the losses... Surely, that is a lot of value (i mean the bitcoins) to admit to losing in such a short period of time,,, so yeah, understandable pessimism.

this was posted on another thread ..have not checked it but if true they never multi-sig'd crap ...and will dump it on the customers...likely in their terms of agreement it is your
multisig (supposed) wallet thus your problem

here is the quote..if true imho they will wash their hands of the responsibility imho

We don't use cold storage for bitcoin, since our implementation with bitgo we've used segregated customer wallets so that each user has their own bitcoin wallet.

bitgo is saying they were NOT compromised at this time also I've read

what a cluster

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:48:05 AM

Title says it all

Bitfinex. Will they cover the 65 million dollar BTC Theft or just fold?

You can comment here. But please take the Poll.

Myself I'd be shocked if they could cover a 65 million dollar btc loss. But the poll will tell here, so feel free to vote.

Bitcoin exchanges have it within their power to tell customers who were robbed on their exchange, to go and fuck themselves quite frankly.

That is what Kraken told me, and many other Kraken customers just two weeks ago when a bunch of Kraken accounts got emptied. In all probability, Kraken's Bitgo system got hacked as well, but to a much lower amount, and Kraken covered their losses by robbing 'unprotected' customer accounts, and then blaming the losses on the customers.

I suspect that Bitfinex shall reopen, and in one way or the other, will pass on the losses to it's customers. Either just telling those customers who have seen large chunks of Bitcoin leave their Bitfinex wallet addresses, 'tough shit', ya all have been bumped, or they will socialise the losses, and everyone takes a haircut.

Bitfinex was by far the major and most liquid USD exchange. I suspect that the operators/owners of the exchange will resist just lying down and dying right away.....they will hobble along on life support for a while yet.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Lionidas

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 06:59:57 PM

I would think they would just cut their losses and just file for bankruptcy to not have a slue of lawsuits that are fourth coming.
You don't think people who lost their coins will just sit back and forget that this exchange allowed their funds and undoubtedly their personal information to be stolen and not take legal action is beyond me to believe. Roll Eyes
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 07:12:36 PM

I would think they would just cut their losses and just file for bankruptcy to not have a slue of lawsuits that are fourth coming.
You don't think people who lost their coins will just sit back and forget that this exchange allowed their funds and undoubtedly their personal information to be stolen and not take legal action is beyond me to believe. Roll Eyes

You are assuming that people are going to lose their coins.  We don't know that, yet.  Sure someone is going to lose, but details are still quite speculative, especially when they are saying that customers are going to be able to verify their accounts and also they are developing plans to go live again at some point in the near future.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 06:18:13 AM

they don't seem to have ran away and close shop cause they are still announcing things on their status website.

but again this has been the scenario  with all the previous similar hacks, they waste some time for a while and say we are pursuing things and then after a couple of months of trolling they disappear.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: