Bitcoin Forum
August 15, 2024, 03:20:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alt coin mining and rigs, stupid questions  (Read 501 times)
Randomhero360 (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 01:59:38 PM

I was thinking about buildIng a rig, however I can't find much info about how they mine. It seems ETH is a very memory heavy mining. Will the same GPUs that mine ETH well mine other well? I don't want to put me in a hole with a machine that's great at mining a coin that useless now... Also here's my very stupid question, these "rigs" are they own stand alone computer basically just with many GPUs? Or is there something I can connect to my own computer that will run the GPUs?

Thanks for my stupidity!
damonwing

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 08:58:14 AM

its basically a computer with mobo that can support up to 6 gpus. you can even start mining with 1 card, just get a mining class gpu. slot it into  your current pc, download miner (software), create account and done. profitable or not, you have to calc urself.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 01:59:53 PM

Not stupid questions, just newbie questions.

There are no simples answers to guide you, the answers will take time as you learn. Mining is constantly changing
so what works best today may not be so in a month. GPU mining is the most flexible and can be profitable but CPU
mining is the best way to learn before you invest in big GPUs.

You can also buy standalone mning rigs but they generally only mine one algo, and can't play games.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
Mzie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 02:53:43 PM

i would say do some more research before you ask. It's very difficult to begin answering your questions , it really shows you havent done enough reseach about mining rigs.

Tip :

Go to youtube and type of Ethereum Mining Rig on the search bar
Randomhero360 (OP)

Activity: 21

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 02:36:21 PM

Well I have done a bit of research, back 5 years ago I was pretty fluent in Bitcoin mining. They had stand alone controllers you could use to acis mine, and I used that but it got way to competitive for a hobbyist. But with the new rigs it confused me! And from my research each alt coin used a different algo, which admittedly I'm not very good with fence the question, is gpu mining flexible, or would I be stuck. You answered most of my question tho!

Next question is I've been using site like whattomine.com and cointalk.com (i think it was) then I started reading things saying these site info is not very accurate. Is this true?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 02:41:08 PM

Well I have done a bit of research, back 5 years ago I was pretty fluent in Bitcoin mining. They had stand alone controllers you could use to acis mine, and I used that but it got way to competitive for a hobbyist. But with the new rigs it confused me! And from my research each alt coin used a different algo, which admittedly I'm not very good with fence the question, is gpu mining flexible, or would I be stuck. You answered most of my question tho!

Next question is I've been using site like whattomine.com and cointalk.com (i think it was) then I started reading things saying these site info is not very accurate. Is this true?

they are accurate, talking about whattomine, it's pretty good to have a fast result about profitability, but some coin that are more profitable are not present on whattomine...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: