Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:55:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Terracoin Difficulty Question  (Read 4798 times)
H@ml3t

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 10:33:20 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2013, 11:01:41 AM by H@ml3t

Why is terracoin difficulty jumping around 3x back and forth? Anyone else see a pattern here? Looks like some big miners are exploiting the fast difficulty adjustment. I guess so much for the supposed feature 'miner jump resonance free'

Someone please make a chart to trace back when this all started

Code:
height difficulty
96000  5001
96030  8254
96060  2671
96090 10580
96120  3830
96150  9622
96180  3270
96210  8391
96240  3029
96270  9203
96300  2330
96330  8029

I thought about this when I saw the TRC profitability on dustcoin steadily bouncing between 60% and 140%now even more than 300%, propably somebody is jumping on and off with an ASIC. But as far as i can see this does not cause any major problems, only slightly above average profitability for the jumper and sometimes delayed transactions.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jar

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:18:56 PM

It looks like the difficulty retargetting algorithm will be updated at block 99988 in order to address the resonant difficulty changing we've been observing. This will be a mandatory update.  I think that the block will be reached in about 4 days so I'm not sure how this change will be rolled out so quickly. Obviously, a few more eyes on this update would be a good thing.

https://github.com/terracoin/terracoin/commit/300d6ac14fd5aaa6a71e14090fa72b1b1d029488
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:50:39 PM

It looks like the difficulty retargetting algorithm will be updated at block 99988 in order to address the resonant difficulty changing we've been observing. This will be a mandatory update.  I think that the block will be reached in about 4 days so I'm not sure how this change will be rolled out so quickly. Obviously, a few more eyes on this update would be a good thing.

https://github.com/terracoin/terracoin/commit/300d6ac14fd5aaa6a71e14090fa72b1b1d029488

So what exactly is the difference between Terracoin and Bitcoin now? The only unique thing it had going for it I can see is a faster difficulty adjustment, which turned out to be a bad idea.
celkaris

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:57:11 PM

It looks like the difficulty retargetting algorithm will be updated at block 99988 in order to address the resonant difficulty changing we've been observing. This will be a mandatory update.  I think that the block will be reached in about 4 days so I'm not sure how this change will be rolled out so quickly. Obviously, a few more eyes on this update would be a good thing.

So what exactly is the difference between Terracoin and Bitcoin now? The only unique thing it had going for it I can see is a faster difficulty adjustment, which turned out to be a bad idea.

I don't think it was such a bad idea, just that is depend on a big enough network hashrate not to be abused Sad

What is see now looks more like a 51% hashrate abuse, seeing 3 people mining only at low diff, and leaving when it rise again, holding ~ 100GH/s (more than the current network)

As i said earlier in another post, recently started chains have to immediately deal with huge-hashrate devices, which bitcoin didn't have to, as total network grew fast enough before such devices came into existence...

The three dudes that are jumping in at low diff, and out when it grows again at coinotron won't get any benefit at all, they'll just lower the trc price...
(test0024, gr0bi42 and wwwish or something ; don't understand why they join a pool though ... funding coinotron ?? :p )
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 06:26:59 PM

It looks like the difficulty retargetting algorithm will be updated at block 99988 in order to address the resonant difficulty changing we've been observing. This will be a mandatory update.  I think that the block will be reached in about 4 days so I'm not sure how this change will be rolled out so quickly. Obviously, a few more eyes on this update would be a good thing.

I don't think it was such a bad idea, just that is depend on a big enough network hashrate not to be abused Sad

It's unfortunate and I think Terracoin will struggle to grow and probably shrink in the long run.

If the difficulty of Terracoin is made more like Bitcoin I just can't see it being viable long term now because even a coin like Litecoin gets questioned what's different about it when there are obvious benefits to Scrypt and faster confirmations, so how Terracoin will stand up to such criticism I don't know.

In my opinion PPCoin is the only legit alt coin left alongside Litecoin. But time will tel...
jar

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 06:40:12 PM

Confirmation time is still lower than bitcoin and is different than the difficulty adjustment time. Bitcoin has many good things about it.  Confirmation time is shorter with TRC.. Fast difficulty adjustment isn't bad and Terracoin will still be faster.. The implementation probably was a bit ill conceived and prone to some abuse.  I think it will be corrected ahortly.
jar

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 06:56:02 PM

It's unfortunate and I think Terracoin will struggle to grow and probably shrink in the long run.

If the difficulty of Terracoin is made more like Bitcoin I just can't see it being viable long term now because even a coin like Litecoin gets questioned what's different about it when there are obvious benefits to Scrypt and faster confirmations, so how Terracoin will stand up to such criticism I don't know.

In my opinion PPCoin is the only legit alt coin left alongside Litecoin. But time will tel...

I see the future as a mix of alt coins.  There is no fixed pie where in order to have a winner, there must be losers.  Litecoin got an early start.  Terracoin benefits from ASICs. Some people see this as a problem but I see it as a benefit as long as the number of users is sufficiently high and the hash rate isnt too imbalanced.  Any coin that doesnt require specialized hardware in the future may be at risk to attack from botnets. I suppose the challenge for small altcoins will be to become big enough fast enough.  I think the prevalence of ASICs will do that for Terracoin and other Bitcoin clones based on the same algorithm.
jar

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:27:57 AM

It may still be a bit early to say, but it looks like the significant resonant difficulty changes have stopped.  This and the upcoming patch should smooth things out.
spacegoat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We are connected. you are me I am you.

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:14:28 AM

uh.  so to send terracoins it takes 6 confirms lasting 6 hours a piece, 36 hours?  URG!  for some stupid reason I took my TRc off btc-e and now its going to take 72 hours to get them back on?  what a load of crap man.  luckily I only had $200 in TRC trasferring so its like whatever.  but what a total shit coin man.  I can't believe I got suckered into even considering using it.  if the price completely crashes in the next 72 hours I'm going to throw a BFL asic at whoever invented this stupid coin.

I get soothing words, "no its gonna be alright, this is just a bump in the road.  its healing." 

do you realize how much damage you do to suckers like me by promoting SHITCOINS?  because I actually listen.  and this is the second time my terracoins have been stuck in transit for more than a day.  you can't even begin to think that terracoins will ever be adopted by anyone if transfers take over 1 day.  bullshit

yeah baby yeah
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:14:18 AM

uh.  so to send terracoins it takes 6 confirms lasting 6 hours a piece, 36 hours?  URG!  for some stupid reason I took my TRc off btc-e and now its going to take 72 hours to get them back on?  what a load of crap man.  luckily I only had $200 in TRC trasferring so its like whatever.  but what a total shit coin man.  I can't believe I got suckered into even considering using it.  if the price completely crashes in the next 72 hours I'm going to throw a BFL asic at whoever invented this stupid coin.

I get soothing words, "no its gonna be alright, this is just a bump in the road.  its healing."  

do you realize how much damage you do to suckers like me by promoting SHITCOINS?  because I actually listen.  and this is the second time my terracoins have been stuck in transit for more than a day.  you can't even begin to think that terracoins will ever be adopted by anyone if transfers take over 1 day.  bullshit

"do you realize how much damage you do to suckers like me by promoting SHITCOINS?"

Seriously? So you're blaming people like me for participating in an open source software project that is a fork of bitcoin, and being excited enough about it that you decide to get involved as well?

If you are so a)impatient b)gullible c)rude you should think twice about whether or not the crypto community is the place for you. No one forced you to mine those $200 worth of coins, and certainly no one force you to BUY them either.

If you're just in it to "get rich quick" then the community doesn't need you- and I'm putting that honestly, and fairly. We need people who will develop projects, understand the system. We need people who actually UNDERSTAND how these things work.

We don't need angry rude people who are going to be unpleasant and actively discourage volunteers with vitriol because a piece of software didn't work 1000% fantastic right out of the bag. All these cryptocoins have their software flaws- they are just all waiting to be found. It took bitcoin 4 years to fork on an error, but it still forked: and they have a whole foundation of braniacs testing this stuff.

Alt coins don't get the benefit of being able to do 100% complete testing of their software before releasing it. That's what the community does. Thats what WE DO by using it. WE are the debugging process. Not even bitcoin is Version 1.0 yet- it's version 0.8 BETA software. While some Altcoins have programmers perhaps more genius then others, they too must stay up awake wondering if there is some program detail they missed. They can only hope that their fan base, the community, will be helpful in finding, discovering and communicating problems that arise.

So, once again- the community is happy to have anyone who wants to help out, and we are certainly happy to have you. I think most will agree with me that at this point in this grand crypto-experiment what is not helpful is people who are just here for illusionary money and have no intention of helping to make things grow and flourish in a productive way.

If you do "get rich quick": fabulous. We are all for it, but don't complain if it doesn't happen, and if you do end up with buckets of bitcoin, try to think of a productive way to reinvest in the community- build things, support people.

And when something breaks- help to fix it. Don't shit on the volunteers who are here because they believe in what they are doing, who reinvest what they make- both in time and money. If you want to gamble- play the lottery. If you want your $200 in terracoin to be worth something- download the latest client, get your GPU hashing no matter few coins it may make, and be positive. Don't discourage the very people on whom the future of your "investment" depends.

more or less retired.
spacegoat

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 08:50:00 AM

sorry.  i just feel like I'm getting the runaround.  I ask a question I'm affirmed A when really it is B.  its just frusterating.  I really hope for the best, if I can help in any way I will.  but I have a tiny laptop so I can't mine.  sorry for the explosion rabbit, I just don't have patience I guess when it comes to losing control.  namashka.  p.s.  am I getting this right, its about 40 hours to send or receive trc now?  for some odd reason I sent it to my own wallet and didn't realize it would be lost in limbo for a week from that click.  and of course there's no way to reverse it.  hoy.  does anybody have an asic to point at the network for a little while? 

yeah I'm new to all this and I apologize, and I am understating my investment.  so it was just me being stupid.

yeah baby yeah
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:12:56 AM

sorry.  i just feel like I'm getting the runaround.  I ask a question I'm affirmed A when really it is B.  its just frusterating.  I really hope for the best, if I can help in any way I will.  but I have a tiny laptop so I can't mine.  sorry for the explosion rabbit, I just don't have patience I guess when it comes to losing control.  namashka.  p.s.  am I getting this right, its about 40 hours to send or receive trc now?  for some odd reason I sent it to my own wallet and didn't realize it would be lost in limbo for a week from that click.  and of course there's no way to reverse it.  hoy.  does anybody have an asic to point at the network for a little while? 

yeah I'm new to all this and I apologize, and I am understating my investment.  so it was just me being stupid.

No worries. There is a temporary fix coming that should speed everything up again while a better solution is found. It's taking awhile to get to the point when the fix takes effect though. When de do get there though, it will speed up again.

more or less retired.
spacegoat

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:18:59 AM

k thanks rabbit, I never meant to infer that i didn't appreciate your positive attitude bud

yeah baby yeah
spacegoat

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:27:14 AM

over reaction, let's see if we can get an asic to speed us right along to that magic block shall we?

yeah baby yeah
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: