Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:15:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 25% WTF  (Read 2289 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 04:31:02 PM

By the time they're done they won't have any money to invest in bitcoins in the first place

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/23/17428178-cyprus-now-looks-to-take-25-percent-from-bank-accounts-of-wealthy

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 04:56:53 PM

By the time they're done they won't have any money to invest in bitcoins in the first place

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/23/17428178-cyprus-now-looks-to-take-25-percent-from-bank-accounts-of-wealthy

The big money won't come from the cypriots.  The big money will come from the people that don't want to end up like the cypriots.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 04:59:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, €100,000 is a lot of money. But I wouldn't really class that as wealthy.

Equilux

Activity: 353

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 05:02:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, €100,000 is a lot of money. But I wouldn't really class that as wealthy.

Especially if you consider that a small or medium business will easily have a 100,000 in the bank for wages and other expenditures ...

flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 05:09:49 PM

If you are retired and € 100.000 is all your life's savings...  How many years will you be able to live on that?
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 05:20:04 PM

The whole thing is just blantant stealing.
Nothing more. Nothing less.

So if some poor sod has €100,001 in bank, does 25% of the €1 get stolen, or 25% of the €100,001?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 05:33:55 PM

So if some poor sod has €100,001 in bank, does 25% of the €1 get stolen, or 25% of the €100,001?

25% of €1

Basically, the stealing has already happened the moment the money was deposited in the bank.  This is just reconciliation.  Just like Madoff was stealing from his clients the whole time, not just the week it was all discovered.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Ogig

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 05:43:56 PM

Minimal wages at Cyprus are around 750€ month. Just a guess but i'm gonna say that you'd be considered quite wealthy with 100.000€ sitting in your bank.

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 07:27:03 PM

Sadly many of the Russian oligarchs and others this "tax" was intended to hit were tipped off and moved funds before the whole fiasco started. 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 07:55:42 PM

Can I just ask.. is this stealing?

I mean people there avoid taxes all the time, but still depend on their government in some ways. The stupidity of it aside isnt this just a tax, without anything morally wrong with it?

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 08:00:37 PM

I mean people there avoid taxes all the time, but still depend on their government in some ways. The stupidity of it aside isnt this just a tax, without anything morally wrong with it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't euros the property of the ECB or some such?

How can you 'steal' what's already yours?
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 08:09:29 PM

Sadly many of the Russian oligarchs and others this "tax" was intended to hit were tipped off and moved funds before the whole fiasco started. 

you expected anything else?

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 08:16:32 PM

How do you work that one out? sombody born in the UK may have to pay tax here even if they live in russia and have deposits in Cyprus, I highly doubt any of the high net worth individuals use government funded schools, hospitals or anything else. They will still pay purchase taxes like VAT and local taxes.

I don't think anybody should pay taxes on there labour, on there purchases maybe but taxation is theft because it is not volountary and collected at the threat (or use of) force. It's no different to a Mafia demanding protection money, and too be honest I'd rather pay the mafia.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 08:22:03 PM

What if they do a 25% tax once every year? Still a tax? Or stealing? Does it become stealing at 25% once a month, or perhaps once every 6 months?

When it comes down to it, these banks are using depositer money to pay their creditors, and however you define a tax, 25% deposit taxes is not how I would define a bank.

Vires in numeris
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 08:27:31 PM

What if they do a 25% tax once every year? Still a tax? Or stealing? Does it become stealing at 25% once a month, or perhaps once every 6 months?

When it comes down to it, these banks are using depositer money to pay their creditors, and however you define a tax, 25% deposit taxes is not how I would define a bank.

A tax is when it's prearranged.   Though it's fair to say it's stealing as well,  it's not exactly the same thing.

"You will be taxed 6% each time you buy anything in a department store"  - fine, I understand $1 dollar is actually $1.06

stealing is when they shut down your bank account, yank 25% out of it.  zero notice, zero time to hedge against it.

What happened was stealing.

"I have payroll this week for my employees and I have $200,000 in the bank account for them when payroll is paid out to everyone i'll have zero.

Now the government steals 25% without notice,  25% of his employees are not getting paid.

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 09:58:12 PM

you expected anything else?

Nope, par for the course.  Still sad for the average Cypriot. 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 10:07:24 PM

Flawed assumption: that a "tax" is not stealing because it's called a "tax."

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:42:58 PM

I prefer to call it tribute instead.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 12:08:01 AM

Depends on which definition you use.
a. A payment in money or other valuables made by one ruler or nation to another in acknowledgment of submission or as the price of protection or security.

works, but
1. A gift, payment, declaration, or other acknowledgment of gratitude, respect, or admiration

it definitely is not.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:38:31 AM

QFT  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: