Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:29:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did we ever get a public resolution to "index out of range" for 64 bit linux?  (Read 447 times)
Coin-Keeper (OP)

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 08:13:09 PM

This is my first post.

I have been reading here for over a year now and I am the proud owner of some bitcoins.  I find Electrum to be a great wallet for my needs.  Thomas, you and your team make an exceptional product.   Formerly, I used two computers with one for my online or hot watching only wallet.  The other was a cold wallet and my signing wallet machine.  Throughout this time I have experimented with multi-sig, and a few online wallets (only small amounts).  I have made the move to a Trezor but ran into a glitch.  I am a linux user and for security I would like to continue if possible.  I setup an Electrum only VM using debian 64 bit.  Its clean and performs flawlessly and is connected to a linux host OS.  100% linux machinery.

Before many say do a "search" let me say I have read the threads here on --- "index out of range" with 2.6.4 and 64 bit linux.  Also, over at github, I scoured those threads and I noticed where they were closed.  Several "coders" there mentioned what seemed like an easy solution.  l am not a developer on electrum so I continued to search for a public binary (signed by Thomas) that bears the needed code corrections.  I cannot find one anywhere I have looked.

I am hoping this won't be simply dismissed because I don't know where to turn.  I can always build a windows VM for electrum/Trezor, but using that OS for security is a laughable contradiction!  I know the hardware wallet will still hide all private keys, but I'ld rather use a secure OS.  Can anyone here help me?

If there is no public solution offered, can you direct me to the code changes required and I may build my own binary.  I know that process as I have built several binaries.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coin-Keeper (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 07:15:12 PM

About 30 reads and no "bites".  Maybe go at it another way:

1. Are there members here that ARE on 64 bit linux + Electrum 2.6.4 + Trezor that are having good success with their wallets?  If so, what config scenario are you using?  I would be happy to build another VM using a different distro if for some reason it "likes" Trezor + Electrum.  Open at this point, but cringing at resorting to Windows.

2.  I am wondering if using this combination in a VM is the reason.  Can't see why but thought I would "fish" for a variable to change looking for a correction of the issue.

*** note:  this VM and the Trezor perform all transactions perfectly while connected to the mytrezor site. ***  I want to gain access to Electrum for security/privacy as I'ld like to go 100% TOR once I get this going.

Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Coin-Keeper (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2016, 07:08:25 PM

Its tough to tackle on this end.  The other software products (MyCelium, MultiBit) do work with the Trezor though.  They don't support Trezor's passphrase technology which leaves multiple hidden wallets and the use of a decoy wallet out of the question for me.  Electrum has easily handled this in the past, but something is "glitched" in code somewhere.  Maybe the Trezor code but I am not smart enough to run it down.  I am kind of surprised there aren't numerous threads and posts on this issue looking back until about May when 2.6.4 went mainline.  It would seem that many "seasoned" users here would be on linux systems, and yet somewhat silent on this issue.  Don't you just hate to sort of be the "lone ranger", which makes you feel like it must be operator error on your end?

I don't see a binary for 2.7.0 so that must be your private build using commits from over at GitHub??

Coin-Keeper (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 09:03:48 PM

I decided (my personal choice) to stick with a linux OS, but that means I'll be using wallet.mytrezor dot com for sending coins since Electrum does not work for me.  Too bad.  I still will use Electrum for "watching only" since I can export the xpubs from the Trezor for my watching wallets.

Hopefully when the next release shows up it will work on my setup.  I feel kind of "stupid" that I can't get this working, but I am not alone.

Let me state how much I enjoy reading and learning on this site.  I would love to know how many hours I have spent "lurking" here.  You guys have really helped me over the years.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: