Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:39:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Faucet  (Read 7444 times)
Tenroe (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:09:26 PM

Hi there I know this probably get's asked a lot but is there any chance Bitcoin Faucet is ever gonna be working again> ive been checking for weeks and got nothing to show for it. I really want to get into this Bitcoin thing but due to my current situation (living in the UK with no access to any of the funding methods) have absolutely no way to purchase any Bitcoins. Just wondering if anyone else knows of any other ways to get even just a tiny bit of starter coins.

My Bitcoin address is 1PxvWC1g2BXXUjGkh5xE9SqWYQDGbX1TdK if anyone wanted to donate even the tiniest amount. Any tips would be great.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aral

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:24:11 PM

You can buy bitcoins at britcoin.co.uk.
Tenroe (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:27:20 PM

The exchange rate is horrible though. The pound is way stronger than the dollar at the moment but somehow you get less bitcoins for pounds which makes no sense. Im hoping to find a place to sell stuff for bitcoins for now. But the thing is im American I only live here to be with my wife. So im hoping soon i'll be able to buy in dollars for the better rates.

Im just trying to get started WITHOUT getting jacked on those terrible exchange rates. Embarrassed
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:30:27 PM

The exchange rate is horrible though. The pound is way stronger than the dollar at the moment but somehow you get less bitcoins for pounds which makes no sense. Im hoping to find a place to sell stuff for bitcoins for now. But the thing is im American I only live here to be with my wife. So im hoping soon i'll be able to buy in dollars for the better rates.

Im just trying to get started WITHOUT getting jacked on those terrible exchange rates. Embarrassed

Maybe the real banks overestimate the worth of your pound?

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
Tenroe (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:35:54 PM

Why woud America then admit that it's dollar was worse off? Fact is I go back to America to visit family every year and almost double my money because the pound so strong when I buy from the American market. The Pound has way more backing than the dollar at the moment so it makes no sense for the dollar to be favoured over the pound in this marketplace. That's just fact.

Anyways the point is im not letting myself get screwed just for not living at home. Im only asking for pointers he guys. Just really excited to find a way to start making Bitcoins without getting jacked for what are essentially fees that shouldn't exist in the Bitcoin matket, just because of my location.
aral

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:58:37 PM

Use a credit card to buy Liberty Reserve Dollars, then transfer those into mtgox. You will have to pay a few % to do this but it should be fairly fast.
Tenroe (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:03:29 PM

Thanks guy ill check that out Cheesy Tho whole prospect of Bitcoins just makes so much sense these days. Cannot wait to be apart of this market!
aral

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:07:49 PM

Alternatively, you could of course do a bit of mining if you have a decent GPU.  btcguild.com does instant payouts so you could see a few BTC in your account.  I live in the UK an that's what I'm doing.  I like the idea but there's not a lot I can do with BTC right now so I haven't bothered to buy any (and the prices are jumping around like crazy!)
xlcus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:08:19 PM

You can buy bitcoins at britcoin.co.uk.
The exchange rate is horrible though. The pound is way stronger than the dollar at the moment but somehow you get less bitcoins for pounds which makes no sense.
It depends.  The highs and lows tend to lag a little behind MtGox in my experience (Smaller market), so sometimes you'll get a better exchange rate on Britcoin, sometimes you don't, depending on if the rate is currently rising or falling.
Tenroe (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:10:11 PM

Unfortunately I can't afford any of the equipment necessary to do mining. Im kind of a struggling voice actor at the moment and between stable jobs. Will definitely look into mining once ive got a steady income though. I just don't feel right using any of my wife's income for my crazy ventures into new markets lol.
smackdaddy

Activity: 45

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:09:07 PM

Probably not much to be done then.
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:14:36 PM

Hi there I know this probably get's asked a lot but is there any chance Bitcoin Faucet is ever gonna be working again> ive been checking for weeks and got nothing to show for it. I really want to get into this Bitcoin thing but due to my current situation (living in the UK with no access to any of the funding methods) have absolutely no way to purchase any Bitcoins. Just wondering if anyone else knows of any other ways to get even just a tiny bit of starter coins.

My Bitcoin address is 1PxvWC1g2BXXUjGkh5xE9SqWYQDGbX1TdK if anyone wanted to donate even the tiniest amount. Any tips would be great.

MtGox?
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 06:45:33 PM

The exchange rate is horrible though. The pound is way stronger than the dollar at the moment but somehow you get less bitcoins for pounds which makes no sense.

While (price in GBP > price in USD), do:
    1. Change GBP -> USD
    2. Change USD -> BTC
    3. Change BTC -> GBP

At the end of every iteration, you have more GBP than at the beginning.

Enough people doing this will mean nobody buys on GBP market, until prices on GBP and USD market are the same.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
zdmas

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:51:55 PM

You can get some small amounts of bitcoins by doing some pooled mining if you have a slow GPU or CPU.
mr-sk

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:07:47 PM

Just wondering if anyone else knows of any other ways to get even just a tiny bit of starter coins.

So to answer that question:

1) You can mine. I'd join something like deepbit and get started. You'll get a slow trickle if you dedicate the time / cpu / gpu. You can get up and running easily if you setup a deepbit account and using something like Diablo miner. Really easy to get going.

2) You can trade, see mtGox. You can fund that from a dwolla account, which you can fund from a traditional wire transfer (among other options).

3) Buy a mining contract, see here: bitcoinrigs.com

4) The faucet..worked for me a few weeks ago. Peak back every couple of days...

5) Trade your services (web dev, marketing, etc) for bitcoins. Yes, you can get paid in bitcoins.

Good luck!

Telegram
Tenroe (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:38:19 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the help guys im heading in the right direction now Smiley. Have been doing the online web based "mining" on bitcoinplus.com. It's slow as hell but it's better than nothing. Will be looking to buy into the market come my next payday so yeah things are all ready moving along THANKS!
spruce

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:55:08 PM

Getting money from a UK bank account into both Britcoin and Mt Gox is EASY. I've done both in the past week. Britcoin I've done twice using online banking from home, both fee-free. The first time took under 24 hours, the second a couple of days but that was during the big changeover and he says it's now same day.

Mt Gox involved going to my bank teller window and doing a priority transfer to a French account, details on the Mt Gox site. It cost £15 total in bank fees. I got an email 47 hours later from Mt Gox saying they got the money. It seems to be far easier to get money into Mt Gox from the UK than it is from the US (assuming you already have a regular UK bank account).

I haven't tried getting money back to my bank account but I assume it is just as easy as both sites do the reverse of the depositing procedure.
spruce

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:00:41 PM

I just sent you 0.015 BTC. Merry Christmas. Smiley
Tenroe (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:15:35 PM

Well thank you very much bro duder! Once i start bring in a few BTC's myself ill repay the favor Grin

Gotta say the community around this thing is pretty damn awesome on it's own. Im looking forward to the way this stuff changes everyday life. Bankers can shove it!
Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:26:45 PM

So wait, when selling bitcoins, it'd be better to sell in British Pounds, right? then through the magic of the interwebs turn that into USD
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: