Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:50:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RX 480 PCI-E Power draw problem  (Read 416 times)
t2yax (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Arianee:Smart-link Connecting Owners,Assets,Brands

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 09:21:16 AM

Hey guys today i've learned that rx 480 draws more power from the port than pci-e standarts.can it be problem about mining or ethereum mining ?

arianee
• • • ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Smart-link Connecting Owners, Assets And Brands
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ • • •
Discord
Telegram ⊐●⊏ Reddit
Twitter ⊐●⊏ Instagram
Medium ⊐●⊏ Linkedin
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Q_R_V

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 09:51:31 AM

If we are talking about reference design board then yes. If you are going to buy non reference board (ASUS, MSI, POWERCOLOR) then there shouldn't be a problem.
Cryptozillah

Activity: 687
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 11:16:52 AM

Hey guys today i've learned that rx 480 draws more power from the port than pci-e standarts.can it be problem about mining or ethereum mining ?
I have six RX 480 8GB Reference cards running in one rig mining ETH.
The cards are really sucking a lot of juice trough the PCIE slot making the connectors to my USB risers to be not healthy hot.
I solved this with splitting the risers up on more 12v rails (3 in total with two cards on each rail) from the psu. Now the connectors are in the more "normal" temps and mining operation have been going on without problems.
mandica

Activity: 693
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 02:47:51 PM

If we are talking about reference design board then yes. If you are going to buy non reference board (ASUS, MSI, POWERCOLOR) then there shouldn't be a problem.

That is right. It is better to use 8Pin PCIE non reference cards to mine. Otherwise you might burn the risers or the mainboard PCIE slot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: