Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:14:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me find my bitcoin files (OSX)  (Read 922 times)
gmiwenht (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:35:28 PM

I am still struggling to get bitcoin working from the command line. I tried to copy a new bitoin.conf file into /Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin, but messed something up and the directory disappeared. So I uninstalled Bitcoin, and installed the new version 0.8.1.

Now when I do cd /Library/Application\ Support, I see:

Code:
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 gmiwenht  staff  3493 Mar 24 18:06 Bitcoin

when I try to cd into that, it tells me

Code:
-bash: cd: Bitcoin: Not a directory

When I open my client, it still somehow finds my old wallet, which I thought I deleted.

Can someone please help me, in really simple terms:

1) Where is my wallet.dat file?
2) How do I get into the Bitcoin directory?
3) How can I save a bitcoin.conf file there?
4) How do I run bitcoin from the command line?

1xsBEUVzo6EtAST5Bq96AztiTR5mBXNzt
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:51:54 PM

1) Where is my wallet.dat file?

~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin/wallet.dat

Please note the tilde at the beginning.  This indicates your current user's "home" directory.  Most likely this will be:

/Users/{yourUserIdHere}/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/wallet.dat

2) How do I get into the Bitcoin directory?

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin

3) How can I save a bitcoin.conf file there?

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin
vi bitcoin.conf
A
{type all the stuff you want}
[ESC]
:wq

Note that [ESC] means to press the ESC key on your keyboard.

4) How do I run bitcoin from the command line?

/Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app

This assumes that you installed Bitcoin-Qt into the /Applications folder.  If you did not, then you'll have to determine where you did install it.
gmiwenht (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 11:08:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I totally missed the tilde.

Is there any way to get into that directory with the finder? I can't see it in my home directory. How can I open that file with TextEdit?

And the main follow-up question: how do I run Bitcoin from the command line? I mean bitcoind, which I believe comes installed with the Bitcoin app. I can't find this file anywhere.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 11:32:26 PM

Is there any way to get into that directory with the finder? I can't see it in my home directory.

I believe that OSX hides the Library folder by default.  I think you can run:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

From a terminal command line to "un-hide" it.  You may need to restart your finder after running that command.

How can I open that file with TextEdit?

While in TextEdit, if you create a new file...

Click "Save" and you should be prompted for a filename and location.
In the "Save As:" text entry field, type the tilde character and it should pop up with a "Go to the folder:" text entry.
Type in the path: ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin and click "Go".

I'm not sure how to open the file if you've already created it and still have the folder hidden.  I suppose you could run it from a command line.

And the main follow-up question: how do I run Bitcoin from the command line? I mean bitcoind, which I believe comes installed with the Bitcoin app. I can't find this file anywhere.

I don't think there is a bitcoind for OSX.  Or at least there wasn't the last time I looked, but it's been almost a year.
salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 11:36:15 PM

Is there any way to get into that directory with the finder? I can't see it in my home directory. How can I open that file with TextEdit?

In the finder menu under 'Go' there is a 'Go to Folder...' menu option (shift-apple-G), you can type '~/Library' in there to open the library. I'm sure there's some simple 'chmod' type thing you can do in the terminal if you want to make it permanently visible, you should be able to find out with a little googling. -edit or read the above post!
gmiwenht (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:14:30 PM

Can someone please confirm? Is there any way to run bitcoind on OSX? Is there another command line tool I can use to automate sending/receiving? I need to automate some things at the command line.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: