Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:18:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiki governance  (Read 4596 times)
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 11:39:46 PM

I support ripper234's efforts to establish rules of fair play and consensus building.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 12:01:36 AM

I support the effort to make this Bitcoin wiki tent bigger. Comments on discussion pages should not be removed until issues are settled. It may help to require references (as in external or notable articles) when disputes cannot be otherwise resolved.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 12:48:10 AM

I support the effort to make this Bitcoin wiki tent bigger. Comments on discussion pages should not be removed until issues are settled. It may help to require references (as in external or notable articles) when disputes cannot be otherwise resolved.

Why should comments on discussion pages _ever_ be removed?
Discussions can be archived if the talk page gets crowded.

We can document how to do this if the need arises.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
aantonop

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 03:25:34 AM

I would support clear rules, clear and transparent process and broad inclusive participation by the community. Basically, the exact opposite of the bitcoin.org management.

@gmaxwell is much more comfortable with rule by decree, as he has demonstrated on the bitcoin.org Press Center debacle. He cannot be trusted with a "community" process because he treats it like peasants petitioning the king. Just go check out the pull requests on bitcoin.org to see how it works: He keeps changing his mind on what the criteria are, applying them any way that supports his predetermined decision, no matter how inconsistent and transparent.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 06:54:51 AM

I would support clear rules, clear and transparent process and broad inclusive participation by the community.

I fully agree. What do you think about this (latest) version of the rules?

We haven't defined the exact process for determining and setting these rules yet ... right now that is open for debate, but I'd like to focus on the specific rules, get as wide as possible acceptance on that, and perhaps move on to define processes for changing them later on.

AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:30:45 PM

Something has to be done, I see no down side of adopting the proposed "core rules".
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:07:58 AM

Have all the wiki pages been locked to editing?

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 10:41:12 AM

Have all the wiki pages been locked to editing?

The wiki pages are protected from spam using the BitcoinPayment system. You make a small one-time contribution and then you can edit everything (except pages that are truly locked).

Ideally new users should see a message telling them about this system more prominently, but I don't know how to implement it ... it's possible that only MagicalTux has access to do this kind of change (and he is quite busy).

TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:22:07 PM

The wiki pages are protected from spam using the BitcoinPayment system. You make a small one-time contribution and then you can edit everything (except pages that are truly locked).

I used to be able to edit and it isn't telling me to make the payment.  Old users weren't grandfathered in then?

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 12:26:03 PM

I used to be able to edit and it isn't telling me to make the payment.  Old users weren't grandfathered in then?

No.
A lot of old users were created by spambots, prior edits do not mean a user isn't a spambot.

kuzetsa

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:59:32 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 05:43:07 AM by kuzetsa

Why should comments on discussion pages _ever_ be removed?
Discussions can be archived if the talk page gets crowded.

We can document how to do this if the need arises.

^The procedures are well-understood, and already documented as follows:

nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 03:21:24 AM

Hope this information helps, and I'm volunteering to help fork the the "talk page archiving" implementation & documentation from en.wikipedia.org, and will be careful to avoid a violation of any relevant creative commons license terms (attribution procedures)[/list]

That's great! Give it a try and let's see how it works out - no harm it trying. Hopefully we can get away with mostly a copy/paste job from wp :).

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
    Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
    OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
    My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
    kuzetsa

Activity: 369
    Merit: 250

View Profile
    May 06, 2013, 04:27:35 AM
    Last edit: May 06, 2013, 05:44:57 AM by kuzetsa

Hope this information helps, and I'm volunteering to help fork the the "talk page archiving" implementation & documentation from en.wikipedia.org, and will be careful to avoid a violation of any relevant creative commons license terms (attribution procedures)

That's great! Give it a try and let's see how it works out - no harm it trying. Hopefully we can get away with mostly a copy/paste job from wp Smiley.

Relevant self-quote cut-copy-pasted from IRC:

Code:
    (Timestamps Local NY time)

[23:32:47] <kuzetsa> so I'll likely just make a single copyright / attribution page
    [23:33:11] <kuzetsa> (like a template or something) and then just transclude it onto all the "copied from wikipedia" utility templates and whatnot

Exact section from the license in question states:

Quote from: Creative Commons Attribution - Share-Alike 3.0 Unported License
    Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work.)

@nanotube -- Ok then, sounds like a plan...

I might not have much time in the next 48 hours, but I'll almost certainly be able to have a working version before the end of the month of May 2013
    Pages: « 1 [2]  All
      Print  

Jump to: