Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:11:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please come answer my annoying noob questions  (Read 580 times)
superdork (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:36:59 AM

1a- What books/articles would you recommend on the general subject of bitcoin? (direct to kindle books or links would be lovely)

1b- What books/articles would you recommend on bitcoin mining?

2- What site is the safest/easiest way to buy bitcoin? 

(yes I'm aware that I'll be doing quite a bit of reading in the immediate future to guide my decisions, but I'd like to also get some opinions)

3- How the fuck do I get my laptop (macbook) to stop changing bitcoin to bit coin?

4- What interesting theories/concepts or recurring thread topics are there that I should familiarize myself with?

(for example the 51% attack, or "what would happen if someone bought all the bitcoins" and anything else that I should avoid asking so as not to be that guy.....)

5- Why do men have nipples?

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:48:20 AM

I recommend all noobs read this article about transaction fees, but I may be a little biased Wink
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:49:23 AM

Sorry, for now I don't have direct links. But most of what I found is easy to find on google or the bitcoin wiki

1a- What books/articles would you recommend on the general subject of bitcoin? (direct to kindle books or links would be lovely)
The Bitcoin whitepaper by Satoshi
browse the bitcoin wiki
I found other good articles. If I get the time this week I'll try to dig them up again

Same as above. Also, this picture:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/img/06Bitcoin-1338412974774.jpg

In which country do you reside? I could tell you all about Canada and my experiences and I can tell you a bit about the US.

3- How the fuck do I get my laptop (macbook) to stop changing bitcoin to bit coin?
You will have to tell us what program is auto-correcting this. Your Safari? Microsoft word?
Easy solution: Stop using a Macbook.

4- What interesting theories/concepts or recurring thread topics are there that I should familiarize myself with?
*bitcoin difficulty
*peer-to-peer
*I'll add more when I check this thread again and am not so tired.

This is because we are all conceived based on the same "template." It might be easier to see it as we are all conceived as female, then if our genetics choose male, then we become male.
**disclaimer: my knowledge of why we have nipples is limited. I think I watched some tv show that briefly covered it like 5 years ago.**

mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:52:07 AM

I recommend all noobs read this article about transaction fees, but I may be a little biased Wink

Cheesy lol wow. All those domains must have been expensive. Ever heard of subdomains?

Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:54:15 AM

Cheesy lol wow. All those domains must have been expensive. Ever heard of subdomains?

Yes, subdomains are those things that turn 1200 domains into 120,000 domains Cheesy
superdork (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:07:56 AM

Sorry, for now I don't have direct links. But most of what I found is easy to find on google or the bitcoin wiki

The Bitcoin whitepaper by Satoshi
browse the bitcoin wiki
I found other good articles. If I get the time this week I'll try to dig them up again

Same as above. Also, this picture:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/img/06Bitcoin-1338412974774.jpg

In which country do you reside? I could tell you all about Canada and my experiences and I can tell you a bit about the US.

You will have to tell us what program is auto-correcting this. Your Safari? Microsoft word?
Easy solution: Stop using a Macbook.

*bitcoin difficulty
*peer-to-peer
*I'll add more when I check this thread again and am not so tired.

This is because we are all conceived based on the same "template." It might be easier to see it as we are all conceived as female, then if our genetics choose male, then we become male.
**disclaimer: my knowledge of why we have nipples is limited. I think I watched some tv show that briefly covered it like 5 years ago.**

You rock.

(2) I'm in the US and it is quite late and my kids are going to wake up early, so I'll be reading this all tomorrow, as well as any other suggestions I come a across, but many thanks.

(3) I'm on a macbook pro 10.8.2, on safari

(5) Indeed, the nipples are formed before our sex has been decided as I recall based on a bio class a long time ago, and as such we have the corresponding tissues for either gender and at a certain point things either become boy parts or girl parts.... I mainly threw the nips question in there to spice up the conversation, try it at a party... also, did you know that the female clitoris an the head of the penis originate from the same tissue? or that the scrotum, I believe, is from the same tissue that becomes the labia majora? food for thought, and I'm not a doctor so I could be wrong on that, it has been a while since I studied Bio or Anatomy.   

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

superdork (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:12:30 AM

6-  How long does it take to set up a wallet and make a purchase?  (USD$ to bitcoin)

6b- what reading material/youtubevid/thread should I check out to get a grasp on this process?

7- What do you think of the current rise of bitcoin price and how that might relate to the financial shitstorm currently going on in Cyprus?

7b- is there any thread already in existence on here that discusses the Cyprus situation in relation to bitcoin? (here is your chance to call me names and tell me about the search function!)

bbond77

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:20:14 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2013, 06:38:53 AM by bbond77

All i can answer is my personal experience regarding one of your questions.

Q:
A:
     I just got into Bitcoin a week ago today. I downloaded the newest Mac client and participated in the "free bit coin" bullshit for 4 days straight.
 (i just got injured and have a lot of free time to research some interests I'v had to put off like BTC.) I got up to 0.25ish and by that time I had got the basics down as far as...

ease of operations / some risk assessing / and simply just familiarizing myself with the entire intriguingly exciting force forging its way into out mad mad reality we call BITCOIN...

Any Way...

Bitcoin is hitting a spot, I call a growing pain, where its popularity is finally catching up to the mildest anticipations of the architects, pioneers, and originators of the Bitcoins beginning infrastructures.

Basically...

Coinbase and MTGOX are the 2 top "direct" places to buy in my experience.
But the growing pain is the fact that its new. And right now, at least with Coinbase the "system" is consistently backed up. They hit one bump in the road and the growing force (bit coin interest growth) behind  it has caused a domino effect and back-flow of data processing.

Both (MT and Coinb) require ID conformation and the purchasing route I'mgenerally referring to is Bank to BTC purchases. (USD to BTC "direct")

Coinbase confirmed my info in less than 2 days. But i Could not initiate a purchase due to "a nonspecific 24hr BTC selling cap...yada yada..." On the 5th day I could finally INITIATE a purchase.

I use that word right now in its full sense because I knew (by reading forums) that even after "purchasing" I would be but into PENDING. I have been in pending for...damn near 3 days now.
Im not upset because my interest is honest and excited. Im not an investor for a living but I do like having OPTIONS.

MTGOX takes almost 10 days to confirm. I'm on day 8 now i think and by watching the queue  im on track for little over 2.5 days out so... it is what it is.

You can purchase through MTGOX via other means than bank transfer like DWOLLA but by the 25th this month ( 3-25-13) all users using other means of purchase need to be VERIFIED so I would suggest just doing it initally if you are planning on using MTGOX.

I hope all this jargon helps. Its all just my personal accounts and experience so far.

Grin CheerZ.. BTC SLV GLD SEED & .223!
bbond77

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:31:37 AM

"stop using macbook"

HA!

I used my Macbook to play with the new Windows 8 Cry..... HAVE FUN WITH THAT ONE!! Cheesy Shocked Cheesy Shocked

HAHAHAHA!!

Bit coin to Bitcoin

Simple fix =

Right click (2 finger click) on "bitcoin" after you manually correct it and select "Learn Spelling"

I dont suggest turning in your Gold for Silver. Unless you are a silversmith (i do admit "PC" - "DOS" - "micro.." WTF ever you want to label Non-Mac as the Programmers and hackers bread and butter)
superdork (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 07:17:40 AM

"stop using macbook"

HA!

I used my Macbook to play with the new Windows 8 Cry..... HAVE FUN WITH THAT ONE!! Cheesy Shocked Cheesy Shocked

HAHAHAHA!!

Bit coin to Bitcoin

Simple fix =

Right click (2 finger click) on "bitcoin" after you manually correct it and select "Learn Spelling"

I dont suggest turning in your Gold for Silver. Unless you are a silversmith (i do admit "PC" - "DOS" - "micro.." WTF ever you want to label Non-Mac as the Programmers and hackers bread and butter)

thanks mate, little shit like that can really become annoying and I knew there was a quick fix!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: