Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:15:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Password security?  (Read 303 times)
tomaso88 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 09:34:09 AM

What do all of you use to protect your passwords, I've heard of password managers like lastpass but I'd rather a cold storage for my password. does any one know of any device that are small that just read text files to carry your passwords on?

or do you have any other suggestions for protecting your passwords?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 09:42:23 AM

I'm not aware of any "hardware" password manager implementations that allow you to read your password from the device. And even if you use something like that, you are not protected when entering said password on a compromised computer.

Keepass is a good password manager to use. It also has good mobile versions that basically allow you to carry the passwords on your phone. You can store the encrypted database on dropbox so you always have access to it.

The advantage of a password manager is that it also uses obfuscation techniques to enter your password to websites, so you are partially safe if you happen to log in on an infected computer.
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 09:48:25 AM

basically i see two way to store a password.
allays if you want something safe and hidden you use a password.
you can remember it or write it down somehow (paper or digital).
so there are the risks of forgetting it or losing/damaging it.
If you have written it down you have to worry that somebody finds it and so you want to safely hide it.
And here begins the circle again.
so at some point either your trust your brain or some open paper/textfile.  so train your brain!

tomaso88 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 09:54:38 AM

I'm not aware of any "hardware" password manager implementations that allow you to read your password from the device. And even if you use something like that, you are not protected when entering said password on a compromised computer.

Keepass is a good password manager to use. It also has good mobile versions that basically allow you to carry the passwords on your phone. You can store the encrypted database on dropbox so you always have access to it.

The advantage of a password manager is that it also uses obfuscation techniques to enter your password to websites, so you are partially safe if you happen to log in on an infected computer.
thanks looking good from what i've read so far
onlinedragon

Activity: 1036
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 10:04:13 AM

thanks looking good from what i've read so far
I also use something like Keepass but then 1password https://1password.com. Working also great on any device desktop or mobile. Found also a Reddit post about it maybe you want to check it out yourself. For me 1password worked great and didn't use anything else.https://m.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/4ijk7f/lastpass_v_1password_which_one_would_you_choose/
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 10:07:21 AM

are you looking for something in the lines of this one?
https://passwords.mytrezor.com/

It's still not offline storage, but at least the encryption is done with an offline device (disclosure: i haven't read the full information on how they encrypt/decrypt, so it's possible i'm missing the point here)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: