Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:50:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions regarding blockchain storage on Core wallet  (Read 691 times)
yan33 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 10:43:43 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Hi,
I am currently running a full node, and running out of space. For technical reasons I many not be able to upgrade to storage for a while.

1) If I have some more space on another partition, is there a way to tell Core to concatenate another chainstate folder(s) to the current one?
(So it will use the space I have on another partition).

2) What are the consequences of using pruning? Will that impact my ability to send/receive txs, or it just means I can't fully verify everey tx?

3) What does the 'n' in "prune=<n>" stand for, and what is a good configuration to use?

Many thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 01:16:57 AM

Hi,
I am currently running a full node, and running out of space. For technical reasons I many not be able to upgrade to storage for a while.

1) If I have some more space on another partition, is there a way to tell Core to concatenate another chainstate folder(s) to the current one?

2) What are the consequences of using pruning? Will that impact my ability to send/receive txs, or it just means I can't fully verify everey tx?

3) What does the 'n' in "prune=<n>" stand for, and what is a good configuration to use?

Many thanks!

Here is some info on pruning:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/v0.11.0/doc/release-notes.md#block-file-pruning
"N is the number of MB to allot for raw block & undo data."

And
https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.12.0#wallet-pruning
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 01:46:22 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Hi,

No it is not possible. However, you can copy the entire data directory to another place and then start Bitcoin core with the command line option
Code:
--datadir=<path>
where <path> is the path to the moved data directory.

No, pruning just means that old blocks are deleted. This only happens once they have been verified and validated. You will still be able to verify every block and transaction and you will still need to download every single block in the blockchain. Pruning also makes it so that you cannot bootstrap a new node, rescan your wallet, or keep the transaction index.

It does not impact your ability to send and receive transactions.

Many thanks!
n is the amount of space in MB that you want to reserve for the block and undo files. The minimum is 550. This is to store at least two days of blocks and their corresponding undo files.

yan33 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 07:01:12 PM

Thanks a lot friends! That was very helpful Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: