Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:42:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage of BFL and Avalon  (Read 2425 times)
scyth3 (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:12:32 PM

BFL has the capacity sitting idle to manufacture ASICs. Avalon has working chips and design. Why not?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:18:18 PM

BFL has the capacity sitting idle to manufacture ASICs. Avalon has working chips and design. Why not?

What capacity? 3 assembly benches and a reflow oven on a pair of sticks?
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:36:24 PM

Not sure why everyone pokes fun at BFL for their equipment - if they had taken pictures of the facility they contracted to populate boards for the BFL singles and the initial batch of SC units people would be screaming scam. The pictures could've been taken from anywhere when the same is true for the Avalon team.  At least BFL has production equipment that they own.

Avalon hasn't exactly been on the ball as far as unit production goes either. Just finishing batch 1 now? What? It's been quite a while since the original "We're shipping!*" announcement.

*shipping defined as 2 review units and a trickle of retail units starting weeks later

I think BFL is incompetent as much as Puerto/Frizz/Entropy/etc but sheesh, I wouldn't want to order from Avalon now either - you probably won't get it for 6+ months at their current rate.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:40:05 PM

Not sure why everyone pokes fun at BFL for their equipment - if they had taken pictures of the facility they contracted to populate boards for the BFL singles and the initial batch of SC units people would be screaming scam. The pictures could've been taken from anywhere when the same is true for the Avalon team.  At least BFL has production equipment that they own.

Avalon hasn't exactly been on the ball as far as unit production goes either. Just finishing batch 1 now? What? It's been quite a while since the original "We're shipping!*" announcement.

*shipping defined as 2 review units and a trickle of retail units starting weeks later

I think BFL is incompetent as much as Puerto/Frizz/Entropy/etc but sheesh, I wouldn't want to order from Avalon now either - you probably won't get it for 6+ months at their current rate.

One group finished the race the other group is still trying to figure out what the course to the finish line is.    when success is a finished race, I would say avalon has done a kick ass job.

Photon939

Activity: 452

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:47:25 PM

I agree and successful they are, but their production capacity is hardly worthy of praise. Couple that with nearly non-existent customer support, "no refunds, ever", missing power targets, the fact that their design is basically just an FPGA hardcopy and the recent massive price hike and it begins to put a damper on my enthusiasm.

Awesome for all the people who have one, sucks to be in line for everyone else.

I've been in a similar position myself. Released a product that was so successful I had people reselling them used for more than the retail price because I didn't have anywhere near the production capacity to meet demand. It lead to a lot of frustrated potential customers.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:48:13 PM

BFL has no capacity. What they do have is millions of dollars in pre-order funds. Everything else is contracted out to 3rd parties.

Buy & Hold
nbtcminer

Activity: 249

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:52:52 PM

If you haven't noticed the not so subtle discord (sometimes blatant jabs) between Avalon and BFL, getting them to work together would be like getting Israel and the Palestinians to achieve peace; it ain't happening within our lifetime.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 03:59:51 PM

I agree and successful they are, but their production capacity is hardly worthy of praise. Couple that with nearly non-existent customer support, "no refunds, ever", missing power targets, the fact that their design is basically just an FPGA hardcopy and the recent massive price hike and it begins to put a damper on my enthusiasm.

Awesome for all the people who have one, sucks to be in line for everyone else.

I've been in a similar position myself. Released a product that was so successful I had people reselling them used for more than the retail price because I didn't have anywhere near the production capacity to meet demand. It lead to a lot of frustrated potential customers.

The difference is they were upfront about this, communicated problems and they are shipping.   Batch #1 minus problem orders is shipped by my estimates.   Batch #2 starts soon.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
BitSyncom

Activity: 336

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:03:52 PM

I think I'll commit Seppuku before this happens. Speaking of which:
Inaba, I have a knife to recommend for you when April 1st comes.

edit: oh he removed that Seppuku statement if BFL doesn't ship by April...

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:16:03 PM

Nah, it's still there:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/632-getting-ready-april.html#post9395

Quote from: BFL_Josh
I would probably have to commit seppeku if we were delayed until April.

Buy & Hold
scyth3 (OP)

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:25:00 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Josh only an employee of BFL? Don't let one employee ruin a great business opportunity. You should have a talk with the real owners of BFL, whoever they are. They should also fire Josh, what kind of company tolerates their employees making public statements like that?
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:34:38 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Josh only an employee of BFL? Don't let one employee ruin a great business opportunity. You should have a talk with the real owners of BFL, whoever they are. They should also fire Josh, what kind of company tolerates their employees making public statements like that?

Oh, but we know the owners of BFL and all about their prior convictions for fraud.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:16:37 PM

what kind of company tolerates their employees making public statements like that?

At least you're asking the right questions.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:04:06 PM

The search button is your friend.

Red_Evil

Activity: 1484
Merit: 500

Across The Universe

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:09:15 PM

Josh is Ceo .. but im not Sure which of them ....

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:12:57 PM

Negative. Josh is their COO, though his usual title is CBT. "Chief Bridge Troll"

Red_Evil

Activity: 1484
Merit: 500

Across The Universe

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:14:38 PM

Negative. Josh is their COO, though his usual title is CBT. "Chief Bridge Troll"

Oh ok thanks for correcture
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:18:55 PM

One group finished the race the other group is still trying to figure out what the course to the finish line is.    when success is a finished race, I would say avalon has done a kick ass job.

The Chinese Turtle company put some Jetpacks on their shell. They made it past the finish line and are sleeping.

The Amercian (Kansas) Rabbit has had a massive coronary Before the start of the race followed by a few embolism. Currently the rabbit is struggling to find its way to the finish line.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:27:10 PM

LOL

Does this mean he will live?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:29:46 PM

Josh told us that himself. He said they are fine with it and even encouraged him on this.

At the very least Jody doesn't seem to mind.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: