Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 01:45:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How will BitCoin survive as people die, wallets get lost, bitcoin grows, etc????  (Read 1421 times)
whatisthename (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:04:30 PM

If we get to the point of there only being 1 Million BitCoins available, how many "units" of currency can that break down to with all the decimal places? Can it provide enough liquidity? Sorry if it's a silly question.

Another big question:

A. How would people be WILLING to accept a currency that, by visual glance, LOOKS ridiculous if we get to the point that a Pizza costs .0000000001 BTC? Or a Car that costs .0000001 BTC? (obviously just examples only). Will people be willing to learn that stuff? I know we'll have things like mBTC and uBTC etc etc, but do you think the learning curve will be too steep for people, especially since we can go many many decimal places down the line? It's not "easy" in the sense of we just have cents with the dollar, and then we have commas to easily distinguish when we've gotten into thousands, millions, etc. I know it might seem like a silly question, but I think it's a serious one too. Is it "too much" for people to handle? Heck, I think Bitcoin is really cool, and I even kinda find it annoying that a pizza might cost .0000000001 BTC someday.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:07:07 PM

Bitcoin will survive off the living, not the dead. That's how all public company stocks work.

As for your numbers, do some research. It's 21,000,000 coins and we can't easily move past the limit of 8 decimals without severely screwing up everything.

Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:09:17 PM

we can't easily move past the limit of 8 decimals without severely screwing up everything.

Can one of the dev's comment on this? I heard a ways back that increasing the number of decimals was trivial.
whatisthename (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:12:14 PM

we can't easily move past the limit of 8 decimals without severely screwing up everything.

Can one of the dev's comment on this? I heard a ways back that increasing the number of decimals was trivial.

That's where I was getting at Matthew. I have been doing my research. Part of that research is posting on the NEWBIES forum, where it's full of Newbies who ask the basics. I'm not on the General board asking basic things with people who have thousands of posts.
ComposerPianist

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:13:22 PM

I agree something needs to be done about this. True, you could always move the decimal point, but that doesn't really seem like a sound solution to me.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:16:47 PM

The software uses a 64 bit integer for each value. You can't make that bigger; you can't add any decimals to that. Although the protocol itself is simple enough to change (hell, you could make it add letters instead of numbers and smiley faces), the program that actually does the calculation won't work without a major rewrite.

You'd have to update every bitcoind implementation, linux, embedded, modified/customized copies, windows clients, website backend codes using it, etc.

As a friend said, "That would be a much bigger change than anything that has ever happened since Satoshi's original client was released".

Fuzzy

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:18:36 PM

I agree something needs to be done about this. True, you could always move the decimal point, but that doesn't really seem like a sound solution to me.

Barring chain size and block transaction size limits, it IS a sound solution. Infinite divisibility is one of the key features of bitcoin. Even when all but a fraction of a bitcoin are "lost", the remainder can be split to meet any demand.
ComposerPianist

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:24:04 PM

Barring chain size and block transaction size limits, it IS a sound solution. Infinite divisibility is one of the key features of bitcoin. Even when all but a fraction of a bitcoin are "lost", the remainder can be split to meet any demand.

I guess, but I still think there should be more places past the decimal. Unfortunately you'd probably have to create a whole new currency because changing the protocol like that would cause a major fork. We already experienced a little fork with the recent block size discrepancies. How hard would it be to create one that has an infinite amount of places past the decimal? I think it would be an interesting experiment.
Fuzzy

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:24:56 PM

The software uses a 64 bit integer for each value. You can't make that bigger; you can't add any decimals to that. Although the protocol itself is simple enough to change (hell, you could make it add letters instead of numbers and smiley faces), the program that actually does the calculation won't work without a major rewrite.

You'd have to update every bitcoind implementation, linux, embedded, modified/customized copies, windows clients, website backend codes using it, etc.

As a friend said, "That would be a much bigger change than anything that has ever happened since Satoshi's original client was released".

2^64      = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616

BTC limit = 21,000,000.000 000 00? Huh

So can we move the decimal at least 3 more places?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:29:03 PM

So can we move the decimal at least 3 more places?

It needs to have a full 9 range to make any sense.

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:32:03 PM

How would people be WILLING to accept a currency that, by visual glance, LOOKS ridiculous if we get to the point that a Pizza costs .0000000001 BTC?

Well, I think people could get used to the units.  Metric units are in use in many many places.  Look at distance measurement.  People generally are OK hearing centimeters, millimeters, micrometers and nanometers.  Bitdimes, centibits, millibits, and microbits should get us pretty far.  After that, we start using satoshis.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
battmann

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

I am a student of programming and design.

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:53:12 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2013, 05:36:28 PM by battmann

I think I am more interested in some guy with like 13000 coins in a wallet suddenly dying without anyone knowing he has that much. Some basement dweller gets rammed by the pizza guys truck and all of a sudden there is a million $ worth of coins just lost to the interwebs. Have that happen enough and there goes your bitcoin cap of 21mil coins. Can't make anymore, and if that doesn't get fixed prices will skyrocket once enough have been taken out of circulation.

Does anyone else see a problem here?
anish

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:56:31 PM

hello all, i am new to this bitcoin. i am looking to buy Bitcoins against Moneypak. i can buy Bitcoins worth $10,000 a day. i am not kidding serious sellers reply me for a long term business relationship.  Cool
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4653

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:07:13 PM

How many years (or decades? or centuries?) will it be before there is a need to "add additional decimals"?  There are several possible solutions.  Not all of them require a re-write or any code changes to the current bitcoin protocol at all.  I'll let those in the future choose which of those solutions will work best for them when that time comes.  It probably won't be in my lifetime.  There's a decent chance it won't happen in the lifetime of anyone currently alive today.  Note that the 1 million bitcoins asked about in original post is 100,000,000,000,000 (100 trillion) units of currency.

I don't see any issue with people quoting prices in nano-bitcoins.  Then you can have your commas and get rid of your leading zeros.  There is no need for it now, but people will transition to it as easily as they understand what I'm saying when I say I bought a car for 24 grand.
battmann

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:35:16 PM

hello all, i am new to this bitcoin. i am looking to buy Bitcoins against Moneypak. i can buy Bitcoins worth $10,000 a day. i am not kidding serious sellers reply me for a long term business relationship.  Cool

You should go here if you want that kind of service:

www.cryptocurrent.com
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:35:59 PM

Let's say that the minimum BTC denomination required for a usable currency should have be equivalent to US$ 0.01 (i.e. a cent).
The smallest current BTC unit is 10^-8.
So there is no problem as long as the value of 10^-8 BTC is no more than 1 cent.
How likely is that?
For that to happen, each current BTC would have a value of US$ 1 million.
Now I am as optimistic as the next man, but I think it will be a little while before we see one million dollar bitcoins ;-)
So I don't think it is a problem.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
j05h

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:28:00 PM

People  author=battmann link=topic=158133.msg1674179#msg1674179 date=1364230392]
I think I am more interested in some guy with like 13000 coins in a wallet suddenly dying without anyone knowing he has that much. Some basement dweller gets rammed by the pizza guys truck and all of a sudden there is a million $ worth of coins just lost to the interwebs. Have that happen enough and there goes your bitcoin cap of 21mil coins. Can't make anymore, and if that doesn't get fixed prices will skyrocket once enough have been taken out of circulation.

[/quote]

People die having cash buried or hidden weird places that is never found. 
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:41:36 PM

Some basement dweller gets rammed by the pizza guys truck and all of a sudden there is a million $ worth of coins just lost to the interwebs. Have that happen enough and there goes your bitcoin cap of 21mil coins. Can't make anymore, and if that doesn't get fixed prices will skyrocket once enough have been taken out of circulation.

No problem.

I have 1 bitcoin
You have 1 bitcoin
There is an item worth 1 bitcoin in the 2 bitcoin economy.

You die and take your bitcoin with you to bitcoin heaven.

Now it's a 1 bitcoin economy
The item worth half the bitcoin cap now costs 0.5 bitcoins.

WeTradeCoins

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 06:43:33 PM

If you are dead, you dont give a *** anyways Tongue

www.WeMineLTC.com   0% FEE |   PPLNS  |   SSL  |   STRATUM  |  FULL DDoS PROTECTION LTC POOL!!
battmann

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:50:32 PM

Some basement dweller gets rammed by the pizza guys truck and all of a sudden there is a million $ worth of coins just lost to the interwebs. Have that happen enough and there goes your bitcoin cap of 21mil coins. Can't make anymore, and if that doesn't get fixed prices will skyrocket once enough have been taken out of circulation.

No problem.

I have 1 bitcoin
You have 1 bitcoin
There is an item worth 1 bitcoin in the 2 bitcoin economy.

You die and take your bitcoin with you to bitcoin heaven.

Now it's a 1 bitcoin economy
The item worth half the bitcoin cap now costs 0.5 bitcoins.

Lol your trolling right?

If someone takes half, even a quarter, of the twenty one million coins that can ever exist then the price of btc will go up exponentially.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: