Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:02:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - Have a Antminer S7, not leds on controller board  (Read 1712 times)
bilabonic (OP)

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 03:20:30 PM

Hi all

I and presuming the controller board on my S7, the green and red Led's DO NOT come on ?

PSU's are fine, i have an 800w powering one bank of 3 and the controller board and an 1300w EVGA powering the other six, fans work and the 'little' leds (3 off near the end of the white ribbons are ON)....

Anyone got any ideas, network cable is fine as i have several of LKETC miners.....

Can you just purchase the controller board ? Will the controller board just power up of the 800w (without the 6 blade connection)

Cheers

BTC - 1Ayax24aAU8c1xwAakK94DVDkm4kbfZ8Ch
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 03:32:51 PM

Yes the controller can be powered up by itself to see if it is dead or alive. Just leave the hash boards all unplugged.

As for parts, if you take a quick look through Bitmains site starting at the Support tab > Service, you eventually find https://shop.bitmain.com/product.htm?parts=parts

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 06:10:25 PM

Yes the controller can be powered up by itself to see if it is dead or alive. Just leave the hash boards all unplugged.

As for parts, if you take a quick look through Bitmains site starting at the Support tab > Service, you eventually find https://shop.bitmain.com/product.htm?parts=parts

Thanks for reply, just wondering if i need the black BB board or the I/O board, the 3 small red leds on the I/O light up ok....

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 01:25:31 AM

Leave the hash boards unplugged and just power the controller/IO board.
Do the lights on the LAN jack start up with the green one (network active) blinking?
Does the little blue light next to it eventually light?

If no, methinks controller is probably bricked or dead.
You said the fans work and red LED's on the IO board light so I'd think it is probably OK. The bank of green LED's (not lit I assume) shows coms activity.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 12:23:49 PM

Leave the hash boards unplugged and just power the controller/IO board.
Do the lights on the LAN jack start up with the green one (network active) blinking?
Does the little blue light next to it eventually light?

If no, methinks controller is probably bricked or dead.
You said the fans work and red LED's on the IO board light so I'd think it is probably OK. The bank of green LED's (not lit I assume) shows coms activity.

NOTHING except the tiny red leds near the boards, no green comms led, no red led and no fans power up, using an 850w psu which powers up fine by shorting correct pins....

yogibear84

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 02:16:55 PM

Hi All, Hi bilabonic

Its the seller of this S7 BTC miner here.
The unit is (should/was/tested) working well, hope the video walk through was followed to ensure it is all connect up properly.
the usual pin 3+4 on PSU (850w and RM1000w one) should be in place, do ensure it is in place, and not peeled back, or pin fallen out.

walk through of my setup(testing) pre-shipping.
https://youtu.be/byicTWp7r1g

my S7 setup, pre shipping again, -all about power supplies connections
https://youtu.be/urkXA2ShCd4

Bear in mind the RM1000 has the modular cables, in case they are not plugged in properly?
Have them meter-tested post power on, to ensure they are correctly plugged.

I am scratching my head here, not sure what the issue you're experiencing there to be honest.
Do you mind posting here photos and video-walk-through of your setup by any chance as well?

that would help set any assumptions away and get us all on the same page there.

cheers
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 03:48:32 PM

Hi All, Hi bilabonic

The unit is (should/was/tested) working well, hope the video walk through was followed to ensure it is all connect up properly.
the usual pin 3+4 on PSU (850w and RM1000w one) should be in place, do ensure it is in place, and not peeled back, or pin fallen out.

Bear in mind the RM1000 has the modular cables, in case they are not plugged in properly?

I am scratching my head here, not sure what the issue you're experiencing there to be honest.
Do you mind posting here photos and video-walk-through of your setup by any chance as well?

cheers

Looking at video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urkXA2ShCd4&feature=youtu.be at 22 seconds looks like molex to PCIe?  For S7's I would never use this adapter as it just is not the same power as PCIe cable.  And most molex to PCIe are not meant for the watt's were talking about.  Also in video you mention that it was hot with smaller PSU what specifically was hot and how hot are we talking about?

So not sure with adapter/hot miner might have had a hard life.   It is sounding like controller has a problem which you might order due to time to get.  But when running are you still using that molex to PCIe adapter?
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 10:35:41 AM

Hi All, Hi bilabonic

cheers

Looking at video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urkXA2ShCd4&feature=youtu.be at 22 seconds looks like molex to PCIe?  For S7's I would never use this adapter as it just is not the same power as PCIe cable.  And most molex to PCIe are not meant for the watt's were talking about.  Also in video you mention that it was hot with smaller PSU what specifically was hot and how hot are we talking about?

So not sure with adapter/hot miner might have had a hard life.   It is sounding like controller has a problem which you might order due to time to get.  But when running are you still using that molex to PCIe adapter?

Hi it is a VERY simple setup mate, pretty impossible to get it wrong is it 100% correct, the RM1000 does NOT work....Plus just using the smaller 850w PSU, which does work  WILL not even power the ethernet/I/O board !!!!

Looks like i will have to return through Ebay returns policy...

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 10:25:03 PM

Hi All, Hi bilabonic

cheers

Hi it is a VERY simple setup mate, pretty impossible to get it wrong is it 100% correct, the RM1000 does NOT work....Plus just using the smaller 850w PSU, which does work  WILL not even power the ethernet/I/O board !!!!

Looks like i will have to return through Ebay returns policy...

Sounds like a odd mix of issues.   Not being able to power up on controller does make it sound like bricked most likely.    But if your RM1000 is dead even if you flashed and fixed that it would not work.  Out of curiosity did you hook RM1000 up to PSU tester?  As if not under load they can be very very quiet.   I have not used for S7 but older smaller miners with RM1000.

Either way best of luck on return ebay heavily favor's buyer on policy so should end up fine for you, just going to be some headaches on time wasted and getting through return.  But that can depend on seller they can effect time frame hugely on return's.
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2016, 04:20:24 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2016, 04:39:13 AM by bilabonic

It is strange mate, the RM1000 is a SIMPLE no go, not working, i have a RM750w and several EVGA's plus others over the years without ANY probs with pin shorting,,,,That;s not really an issue. It's faulty.

What i can not fathom is that the S7 will not even 'talk' light up etc...I have done a LOT of research and it has 2 main components, the I/O module and the BB board (black pcb board)that the ethernet cable plugs directly into (plus hashing blades)

I do have an S2 (plus an s3+ and several dragon miners) and they have a BB board (basically a raspberry pi) which i COULD try on it, but don't won't to do that as it may 'fry' it and cause problems with Ebay returns.

The seller has been brilliant and very understanding plus we have had a good chat about mining etc so i do really feel sorry for him.....

Video here of S2 and you will see the black BB board being removed, holds a micro SD card for details (much like a raspberry pi that uses a standard sd card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM4gRCexyQk

I started mining when it was a PAIN with GPU's (who remembers trying to get 6 GPU's of one MB..lol), several PSU's etc so i KNOW what i'm doing, i joined here a few months after i started mining in 2013 so have experience, being asked is the power plugged all the way into the PSU and not knowing how to connect it is laughable i'm sorry.

Cheers

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 14, 2016, 09:46:08 AM

It is strange mate, the RM1000 is a SIMPLE no go, not working, i have a RM750w and several EVGA's plus others over the years without ANY probs with pin shorting,,,,That;s not really an issue. It's faulty.

RM1000 fan not working all the time, fan working only when it is necessary to be cooled.
You can use B.B.B. from S5 miner with your S7.

S3 do not have B.B.B. and S2 B.B.B.  is without memory and  only works from SD card.
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2016, 09:57:53 AM

RM1000 fan not working all the time, fan working only when it is necessary to be cooled.
You can use B.B.B. from S5 miner with your S7.

S3 do not have B.B.B. and S2 B.B.B.  is without memory and  only works from SD card.

Only have an S2 and S3, not that i would take it apart, it looks like it just sits on the main s7 unit, the RM1000 has never been put undo load.

anakinisme

Activity: 589
Merit: 500

Founder Of miningpuppets

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2016, 04:36:15 PM

Try swapping your network cable to check if it's working. Try to swap with another Controller board+io board. Reset and replace with latest firmware before you proceed.
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 04:57:17 PM

Try swapping your network cable to check if it's working. Try to swap with another Controller board+io board. Reset and replace with latest firmware before you proceed.

Network cable is 100% ok, not swapping anything as i want to return it for refund !!!!

I do not have a compatible i/o board or controller BB board anyway !!

Cheers

MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2016, 11:01:17 PM

You probably needs a new control PCB set in this... Return to seller if it was via Ebay, or ask Seller to get you the replacement Control PCB set.  Im sure its cheaper for the seller to send you the replacement Control PCB set with BBB than to deal with Ebay Return.

Network cable is 100% ok, not swapping anything as i want to return it for refund !!!!

Cheers

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
bilabonic (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 07:40:23 AM

You probably needs a new control PCB set in this... Return to seller if it was via Ebay, or ask Seller to get you the replacement Control PCB set.  Im sure its cheaper for the seller to send you the replacement Control PCB set with BBB than to deal with Ebay Return.

Cheers

So you are stating it would require a new I/O board (what the mining cards plug into) and the smaller BB board that ethernet plugs into it ?

How much would that be ? Do you have a price/direct link ??

Thanks

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 04:03:21 PM

So you are stating it would require a new I/O board (what the mining cards plug into) and the smaller BB board that ethernet plugs into it ?

How much would that be ? Do you have a price/direct link ??

Thanks

https://shop.bitmain.com/product.htm?parts=parts
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: