Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:47:22 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The two exhaust ports in the Death Star of Steem  (Read 556 times)
MWD64 (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 10:44:43 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2016, 11:02:03 PM by MWD64

I see a lot of high-level math discussions on here about the under-the-hood minutia of Steem and Steemit. But I have two very simple questions that I haven't seen addressed, let alone answered.

Let's say Steem turns out NOT to be a Ponzi scheme or any kind of scam. And let's say the technology is solid.....And the business model of apparently paying out WAY more than the site and coin are organically generating turns out to be sustainable past the current bubble.

1. If the text content is on a blockchain, then the site cannot be censored without a hard fork. So how will the company deal with DMCA demands?

What happens if someone posts a chapter of a Harry Potter book on there? Or posts trade secrets? Or something beyond copyright and patent....Like if someone turns their posts on Steemit into a new Wikileaks and shares "top secret" government documents?

I hate intellectual property laws, but since Steem is a company with corporate charters and papers with real names on them and investors and a public face and probably an office, they will have to comply with these laws or fail. Or go to jail.

Sites like Facebook, Twitter and even Wordpress.com's blog hosting have to take down stuff every hour to keep from ending up being sued into submission. To get that big, will Steem have to hard fork every hour?

2. The Steemit blockchain is hard to censor, but the web URL is on regular DNS. Steem missed a big opportunity by not incorporating Namecoin-like features. Not to register everyone, but to register their own 4 websites or whatever on their own blockchain. And issue a browser plugin to read that info. And be able to point it elsewhere if their domains get seized and they end up running the company from some country with no extradition. Or from the inside of some embassy.

MWD

Check out and use The BipCot NoGov license
joksim299
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1014

Bitdice is scam scam scammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 11:30:33 PM

1. They can filter content from site. Delete disputed content from Site while it is still visible on the blockchain.
2. https://steemit.com/namecoin/@dantheman/dns-via-steem

MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 11:36:51 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2016, 12:29:22 AM by MWD64

1. They can filter content from site. Delete disputed content from Site while it is still visible on the blockchain.

Hmmmmm. So that goes in the other direction, countering the claim that Steemit is uncensorable. I guess it can only be censored by the central censoring committee.

And if the deleted content is still on the blockchain but not the site, it seems like it's still a problem. If someone made a third-party program to "view the dark web of the Steem blockchain", it could still be trouble for the company.

Interesting. Odd that Dan put the giant "ICANN" on there. That's kind of like waving a government flag while yelling "fuck government!"

Also, no discussion on using it for Steem's sites. Or having people have the plugin or method for viewing the site if the DNS is grabbed. That has to be done BEFORE the censorship. The fact that Namecoin didn't have that for the average person until 3 years in is of the main problems of Namecoin.

Thenoticer

Activity: 332

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 11:41:35 PM

From my limited understanding, steem and steemit are separate. And yes, anyone can create a steamit style site to interact with steem.
MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 11:43:21 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2016, 12:31:03 AM by MWD64

From my limited understanding, steem and steemit are separate.

Yes, but it's one company. If one part fails the other part will fail. They're distributed but not decentralized at all. And totally interconnected in survival.

And yes, anyone can create a steamit style site to interact with steem.

Yup. So that's still a huge problem for them for growth. The possibility of a "View the Steemit dark web" app.

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 01:47:48 AM

Hmmmmm. So that goes in the other direction, countering the claim that Steemit is uncensorable. I guess it can only be censored by the central censoring committee.

B... B... But, I thought it was DECENTRALIZED.  What happened guise?  I thought the Larimers were against centralization... Isn't my content on Steem "Safer than a Swiss Bank"?

Seriously though, the Larimers are in bed with the Chinese Communists on every level of their operations, and gee whiz, doesn't a "central censoring committee" sound like something straight out of the Communist Manifesto?  The only freedom the Larimers support is the freedom to pimp out women over the internet as long as they're getting a cut of the proceeds.  So, if you want to strip naked or post degrading pictures of women you're in luck, but don't try saying anything bad about the Larimers or their communist backers, because we can't have that now can we?

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2016, 02:00:53 AM

B... B... But, I thought it was DECENTRALIZED.  What happened guise?  I thought the Larimers were against centralization... Isn't my content on Steem "Safer than a Swiss Bank"?

Seriously though, the Larimers are in bed with the Chinese Communists on every level of their operations, and gee whiz, doesn't a "central censoring committee" sound like something straight out of the Communist Manifesto?  The only freedom the Larimers support is the freedom to pimp out women over the internet as long as they're getting a cut of the proceeds.  So, if you want to strip naked or post degrading pictures of women you're in luck, but don't try saying anything bad about the Larimers or their communist backers, because we can't have that now can we?

The Chinese thing would explain a lot, but do you have proof? or even evidence? or even some links?

And what's this about pimping women?

Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 02:13:33 AM

From my limited understanding, steem and steemit are separate. And yes, anyone can create a steamit style site to interact with steem.

They went to a lot of trouble...
To create, launch and mine the STEEM blockchain in a specific way entirely for well documented legal reasons...
So Steemit Inc is only liable for a web site that is a simple blockchain "viewer" that censors out stuff.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1410943.0

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,22125.0.html?PHPSESSID=ichlfafb0tct3ptc0gfugfvb31

IMO, the Steemit blogging platform is pointless, juvenile and worthless (as Dan said, only a "Trojan Horse")...
The real value of STEEM is the possibility that any party can build truly revolutionary apps on a fast, scalable blockchain.

https://steemit.com/namecoin/@dantheman/dns-via-steem

Dan can now throw out ideas every day...
And Devs will be PAID by whale upvoting to build an elaborate infrastructure...
So the Big Picture is, arguably, more exciting and coherent than Ethereum.
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 02:30:23 AM

The Chinese thing would explain a lot, but do you have proof? or even evidence? or even some links?

Haven't you seen the pictures Stan Larimer posted of himself in China courting big Chinese businesses (aka the Chinese Communist Govt) in an attempt to get additional backing and support for their Bitshares/Graphene scheme?  AND THEY GOT IT!  Not to mention that if you looked on the original Bitshares website, they laid it all out for you.  The largest holders (besides the Larimers) and financiers of Bitshares were Chinese nationals.  I'd bet the farm that the same goes for Steem too.  We all know that the Chinese Communist Govt has total monetary control over the country and nobody in China has any significant amount of money or owns a large, successful business unless they want you to and you're part of their game plan.  Personally, I think it's a little coincidental that all their projects are backed by the CENTRALIZED COMMUNIST PARTY and are structured in such a way that creates CENTRALIZED CONTROL over the ecosystems.  Call me crazy, but I think it may be intentional.

You tell me what it is called when the main monetary creation mechanism is provided from dumb women exposing themselves.  This is the content that the whales (the Larimers, the Chicoms) upvote to lure in the saps, so they can cash out and make their profit.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
MWD64 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2016, 02:40:38 AM

Haven't you seen the pictures Stan Larimer posted of himself in China courting big Chinese businesses (aka the Chinese Communist Govt) in an attempt to get additional backing and support for their Bitshares/Graphene scheme?  AND THEY GOT IT!  Not to mention that if you looked on the original Bitshares website, they laid it all out for you.  The largest holders (besides the Larimers) and financiers of Bitshares were Chinese nationals.  I'd bet the farm that the same goes for Steem too.  We all know that the Chinese Communist Govt has total monetary control over the country and nobody in China has any significant amount of money or owns a large, successful business unless they want you to and you're part of their game plan.  Personally, I think it's a little coincidental that all their projects are backed by the CENTRALIZED COMMUNIST PARTY and are structured in such a way that creates CENTRALIZED CONTROL over the ecosystems.  Call me crazy, but I think it may be intentional.

You tell me what it is called when the main monetary creation mechanism is provided from dumb women exposing themselves.  This is the content that the whales (the Larimers, the Chicoms) upvote to lure in the saps, so they can cash out and make their profit.

Thank you.
MWD

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: