Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:47:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC for Goatpig's work  (Read 1042 times)
Ratatosk (OP)

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 04:38:19 PM

Hi

Why not add a check box at top of main screen Armory GUI : "Check if you want to support Armory developpement, this will add a 0.001 BTC fee to every outgoing transaction and send it to dev team" ?

0.001 is an exemple... Could be more or less by default, like 0.000nn BTC... but in Options window, user should also be able to increase his donation : "How much do you want to donate instead of the minimum default 0.000nn BTC, if you checked this box on main screen : 0.0_____ BTC"

No ?

It seems so obvious for me as system...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 04:57:22 PM

The ATI Armory had something like this option in the "Send" dialog. I'm sure goatpig will add a similar thing if and when he thinks it's appropriate to do so.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2016, 04:59:48 PM

Right more goatpig doesn't want to accept any donations. He doesn't think it is necessary yet.

common

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 12:10:37 AM

I would like to support goatpig's efforts as well because Armory is mission critical software for my use case.

Although this would likely be unpopular, personally, I wouldn't mind a small non-optional fee built into the pre-compiled clients that can't be removed, so he can skim a small transaction fee and % of a point off of every transaction. At the very least, an optional suggested donation fee should be present, shown to the user, and should have be manually set to zero by a cheapskate to avoid donating. Maybe a running cumulative suggested donation based upon the total volume of the transactions could be shown to the user that can be cleared if a transaction is actually sent.

It's wonderful to be altruistic but as time goes on, the foregone opportunity cost associated with donating time to a volunteer effort mounts. The original Armory project seemed to implode because there was no push to generate income from the project. In fact, Armory was giving away bitcoins to other groups like the EFF, which was puzzling to me. Armory is very important to some of us, so we want to support the project to ensure its survival. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for the money or seeking compensation for ones efforts.  Even if donations are not perceived to be necessary, banking a war chest for a rainy day when funds are needed is a good idea. If goatpig doesn't want the money, he can use it to hire another coder.

The only reason I can think of that someone might want to reject funds is to avoid any tax related shenanigans. Maybe he doesn't have time to setup a non-profit etc.

I may not post much but I do frequent this subforum and I am interested in supporting this project.
gangtraet

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 06:44:50 AM

I would like to support goatpig's efforts as well because Armory is mission critical software for my use case.

Although this would likely be unpopular, personally, I wouldn't mind a small non-optional fee built into the pre-compiled clients that can't be removed, so he can skim a small transaction fee and % of a point off of every transaction.

This will never happen, if for no other reasons then for reasons of privacy.

If goatpig doesn't want the money, he can use it to hire another coder.
Not for the money he can raise with donations.  Once the first 25 people have donated 25$, the flow becomes a trickle.  And a decent programmer probably costs around $100 per day.

The only reason I can think of that someone might want to reject funds is to avoid any tax related shenanigans. Maybe he doesn't have time to setup a non-profit etc.
Again, perhaps the income is not worth the hassle.  Sadly.  Armory is a great part of the Bitcoin infrastructure, but very very few open source projects are able to generate enough income to actually pay a developer.

On the other hand, what better way to show moral support than to put our money where our mouths are - I, too, have donated to Armory in the past, and want to do so again.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 08:42:46 PM

Why not add a check box at top of main screen Armory GUI : "Check if you want to support Armory developpement, this will add a 0.001 BTC fee to every outgoing transaction and send it to dev team" ?

Privacy leak, bloat/increased fees and small outputs are expensive to consolidate (ie most of the value will go to miners). Also, mandatory donations are a contradiction.

Again, perhaps the income is not worth the hassle.  Sadly.  Armory is a great part of the Bitcoin infrastructure, but very very few open source projects are able to generate enough income to actually pay a developer.

Every penny counts, but there are some circumstances to consider. First of all, Bitcoin isn't really suited for many small donations. I guess I could setup a changetip account which will avoid all the on chain consolidation, but suddenly I have to dedicate time to that stuff. I like to take my time and weight out each option properly, and I just don't have the brain cycles to deal with that atm.

Next, I won't setup a donation address until I'm happy with the level of my contribution. Currently I don't want to think about that until the new wallets are out.

And a decent programmer probably costs around $100 per day.

Far from it. More like $100/h. I could fetch that if I was to look for a job right now. Decent devs in this space start around $50/h. You also have to keep the balancing act in mind. You can get cheaper hires but they will most likely have no experience in crypto nor BTC. It will take months before the guy is productive, and everything he submits you have to thoroughly review meanwhile. That will impact your productivity doubly, for the time you spend training him, and the time you spend watching over his shoulder.

There is currently too much technical debt in Armory. I can't afford to divert time to look for, evaluate and train candidates.

I may not post much but I do frequent this subforum and I am interested in supporting this project.

There are other ways to contribute besides direct donations.

You could petition Theymos to get me or a veteran member elevated to moderator. It would be very useful to be able to set stickies on this sub forum.
You could participate to testing phases and review code.
If that's not your cup of tea, you could write tutorials for Armory.
You can also try to isolate and reproduce specific bugs and report your findings on the issue pages of the github repo. This would drastically reduce the cost of fixing the bug on my part.
If you have some web design in you, I would consider setting up a gh-pages branch and merge in yours PRs. This project could definitely use a webpage. It would be pretty cool if it was community managed too.

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2016, 08:59:56 PM

If you have some web design in you, I would consider setting up a gh-pages branch and merge in yours PRs. This project could definitely use a webpage. It would be pretty cool if it was community managed too.
You should definitely do that. I setup a github pages site for Armory a while ago. Take a look http://www.achow101.com/BitcoinArmory/ and https://github.com/achow101/BitcoinArmory/tree/gh-pages. It hasn't been updated, but I can update it.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 16, 2016, 08:29:22 PM

You should definitely do that. I setup a github pages site for Armory a while ago. Take a look http://www.achow101.com/BitcoinArmory/ and https://github.com/achow101/BitcoinArmory/tree/gh-pages. It hasn't been updated, but I can update it.

We'll have to figure out a domain first though.

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2016, 08:47:48 PM

We'll have to figure out a domain first though.
How about btcarmory.org? Currently available on godaddy

common

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 01:48:41 AM

Every penny counts, but there are some circumstances to consider. First of all, Bitcoin isn't really suited for many small donations. I guess I could setup a changetip account which will avoid all the on chain consolidation, but suddenly I have to dedicate time to that stuff. I like to take my time and weight out each option properly, and I just don't have the brain cycles to deal with that atm.

Next, I won't setup a donation address until I'm happy with the level of my contribution. Currently I don't want to think about that until the new wallets are out.

I'll be watching for you to accept donations.

There are other ways to contribute besides direct donations.

You could petition Theymos to get me or a veteran member elevated to moderator. It would be very useful to be able to set stickies on this sub forum.
You could participate to testing phases and review code.
If that's not your cup of tea, you could write tutorials for Armory.
You can also try to isolate and reproduce specific bugs and report your findings on the issue pages of the github repo. This would drastically reduce the cost of fixing the bug on my part.

Ok, I'll try to participate in the development of armory.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: