Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:11:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin should be calles "digital currency" instead of "virtual currency"  (Read 1250 times)
bcearl (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 02:50:55 PM

"Virtual" sounds like not real. Like virtual realities, or Linden Dollars and WoW dold.

"Digital" is a much better word, like digital audio and video, or digital signatures that are used for transactions.

I think that is an important difference that affects the public perception of bitcoin a lot.

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:22:01 AM

I agree, geeks understand virtual is just another type of real, but the general public thinks it's make believe

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
bcearl (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:43:24 AM

I agree, geeks understand virtual is just another type of real, but the general public thinks it's make believe

"Virtual" is acutally a word with a fixed meaning. For example virtual is what you see when you look in the mirror.

Digital instead just means that it based on discrete numbers, which is very true of bitcoin.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:51:48 AM

Money in your bank account is also virtual. It only exists as a number in a database. Just like linden dollars and WoW gold :p

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
bcearl (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:54:59 AM

Money in your bank account is also virtual. It only exists as a number in a database. Just like linden dollars and WoW gold :p

Yes, but opposed to that, bitcoins are not. They are digital - like digital music - but not virtual.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:16:46 PM

Even though LL tries to get their asses out of the line of fire by saying L$ is just make believe monopoly money, people still trade it back and forth with official government money; what could make that any less real than Bitcoin?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
bcearl (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:20:40 PM

Even though LL tries to get their asses out of the line of fire by saying L$ is just make believe monopoly money, people still trade it back and forth with official government money; what could make that any less real than Bitcoin?

Your L$ is just a number on a computer of LindenLab's. They could just change it like they want.

Your BTC balance is established by the block chain that nobody can just change.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:26:46 PM

So you're saying Bitcoin is more real than government issued money?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
bcearl (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:30:14 PM

So you're saying Bitcoin is more real than government issued money?

Depends. Maybe not more real than green paper bills. But more real than FED loans to banks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: