Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:32:19 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I made a giant, overpriced mining rig  (Read 7816 times)
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:36:35 PM

Failover and cluster are two concepts that doesn't really apply to mining.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 10:37:46 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2013, 11:14:25 PM by paraipan

Pics or it didn't happen.
+1

We want pics! Anyway, what an ugly choose! 512GB of ram, you are trolling us, correct?

Failover means that when , lets say, The State of Missouri is destroyed in an act of clumsiness typical of that state and my rig is destroyed with it, my other rig either surrenders half of its tasks and takes on the tasks of the dead Missouri rig or it takes over in full by creating more instances to make up for those lost.  This is why I need huge logging space because the failover rig will have to collect data from the failed rig.  The colos provide 24/7 AC and backup power so I figured I might as well take advantage of them.  

Redundant means they are the same and have the ability to failover.

Yes... you must be really trolling.

GG Smiley

Do you think I could use my cluster for trolling and make some trollcoin with it?

Certainly  

Seriously now, some pics would be nice. They worth more than 1k words.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
TCollar (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:39:39 PM

Failover? Redundancy? can you elaborate further on those topics? because I don't think they apply to the bitcoin world unless we are talking about a pool that needs to be up 24x7 or a market exchange, but from the miner's perspective?

Failover means that when , lets say, The State of Missouri is destroyed in an act of clumsiness typical of that state and my rig is destroyed with it, my other rig either surrenders half of its tasks and takes on the tasks of the dead Missouri rig or it takes over in full by creating more instances to make up for those lost.  This is why I need huge logging space because the failover rig will have to collect data from the failed rig.  The colos provide 24/7 AC and backup power so I figured I might as well take advantage of them. 

I think what he was asking is how you are making this work for bitcoin.
Failing over the running applications does not help you because there is no "progress" in bitcoin mining.

Ok.  Hmmm...  More to test when it gets set up then.

Crap.

I think I may have been a tad done in by hubris in thinking clusters are better at everything.

oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:53:53 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.

It'd be nice if lack of pics could get me a refund.

But here we are.  Things happened.

Does google face recognition work for pictures of your rig?
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:02:35 PM

What GPUS are you going to be using?

gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:03:01 PM

My one test was a dismal failure at about 26600 Mh but I was testing on cracking phpBB3 hashes when I got that speed, so I will see for sure in a day or two.

Most likely this will be a bad investment though.  I can face that but I am going to look for ways to "hedge" a potential loss.

Well, according to the Bitcoinx mining profitability calculator, that hashrate would gross $4403.21/month.  Granted, you did spend a lot for your rig, but I wouldn't call that a dismal failure!

Unless I'm mistaken phpBB3 uses md5 hashes (~4x quicker to compute than sha256d) which fits with TCollar saying there's only 12 GPU total (~8GH/s with 7970 for sha256d))...

I hope it's all a big joke...

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Kaega

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:07:11 PM

Can you promise to ship in the next .. oh 2 months?

If so, where is the pre-order page?  I'm looking for a 2014 delivery.  Grin

Protect your coin: Buy a Treznor
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:07:35 PM

Just to clarify I have 12 GPU cards.

Epic fail

I do things for failover and redundancy because that is how I set up everything that handles potential income.  It might be excessive but it is just a habit.

As far as ASIC goes,  How many people do you know personally with ASIC rigs?

Doesn't matter, what matters is the Bitcoin difficulty and the speed at which it rises. If you think it rises because of new GPU miners, please share whatever you are smoking...

As far as my huge amount of memory, I will need that to run numerous instances.  One thing I am just checking out is the possibility of adding nodes even if I could virtualize an ASIC chip.

Virtualize an ASIC chip? You really don't know what you are talking about.

They have such low power useage and would take up low CPU and perhaps GPU cycles that if I can virtualize and ASIC instance , then maybe this rig would not be a waste of money.

[...]

I suspect LSD now.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
TCollar (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:10:41 PM

My one test was a dismal failure at about 26600 Mh but I was testing on cracking phpBB3 hashes when I got that speed, so I will see for sure in a day or two.

Most likely this will be a bad investment though.  I can face that but I am going to look for ways to "hedge" a potential loss.

Well, according to the Bitcoinx mining profitability calculator, that hashrate would gross $4403.21/month.  Granted, you did spend a lot for your rig, but I wouldn't call that a dismal failure!

Unless I'm mistaken phpBB3 uses md5 hashes (~4x quicker to compute than sha256d) which fits with TCollar saying there's only 12 GPU total (~8GH/s with 7970 for sha256d))...

I hope it's all a big joke...

I am starting to wish it was.  But I did take into account the speed difference.  We will see in my test tomorrow.  I might only lose half at this point if I part everything out on e-bay.

Beepbop

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:23:27 PM

stuffthatdidnthappen.txt
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 01:42:08 AM

Why would anyone buy a $90K of hardware without researching first?

Well I watched $70K disappear because I didn't set stops on some short options. I was near death at the time, so my only excuse is that it wasn't me who made that decision.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 01:50:41 AM

I'm going to lay this out pure and simple.

You made a huge financial miscalculation out of sheer ignorance.  My opinion is that you would be wise to cut your losses and sell the thing immediately.  If ASICs reach consumers at anywhere near the scale that a company like BFL intends to do within the next few months, you will likely never earn more than a maximum of $10,000-$30,000 (if you're lucky) before the difficulty gets so high that all of your useless extras start costing you more in electrical costs than what you'll earn generating BTC.

Wait a second...

You only have 12 GPUs?  HOLY DEAR GOD SELL!!!
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:27:58 AM

I'm going to lay this out pure and simple.

You made a huge financial miscalculation out of sheer ignorance.  My opinion is that you would be wise to cut your losses and sell the thing immediately.  If ASICs reach consumers at anywhere near the scale that a company like BFL intends to do within the next few months, you will likely never earn more than a maximum of $10,000-$30,000 (if you're lucky) before the difficulty gets so high that all of your useless extras start costing you more in electrical costs than what you'll earn generating BTC.

Wait a second...

You only have 12 GPUs?  HOLY DEAR GOD SELL!!!

This rig is called a sunk cost. Believe it or not, selling the thing now is the financially optimal choice.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:13:33 AM

You should start mining Litecoin NOW, and make bank.

edit: http://dustcoin.com/mining

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:50:54 AM

For much less than you paid, you could have instead won the bid for this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avalon-ASIC-Bitcoin-Miner-System-Rig-65-Gh-s-Guaranteed-Batch-2-PRE-ORDER-/171013152886?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item27d12da076

Last one on ebay sold for $20,600. As suggested, best way to try to make profit with what you have is to mine Litecoin.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:07:04 AM

also, do not immediately convert mined LTC to BTC...hold until LTC reaches $1

screamingservers

Activity: 22

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:14:19 AM

Just to clarify I have 12 GPU cards.    I do things for failover and redundancy because that is how I set up everything that handles potential income.  It might be excessive but it is just a habit.

As far as ASIC goes,  How many people do you know personally with ASIC rigs? 

As far as my huge amount of memory, I will need that to run numerous instances.  One thing I am just checking out is the possibility of adding nodes even if I could virtualize an ASIC chip.  They have such low power useage and would take up low CPU and perhaps GPU cycles that if I can virtualize and ASIC instance , then maybe this rig would not be a waste of money.

No pictures yet.  On the off chance this does work, I really don't want copycats with my rig chugging away at what could be my bitcoins.  If it works I might be open to "leasing" as part of my hedge plan.  Being that if it works, I lease instances as a hedge against BTC for dollars.

Failover? Redundancy? can you elaborate further on those topics? because I don't think they apply to the bitcoin world unless we are talking about a pool that needs to be up 24x7 or a market exchange, but from the miner's perspective?

Failover means that when , lets say, The State of Missouri is destroyed in an act of clumsiness typical of that state and my rig is destroyed with it, my other rig either surrenders half of its tasks and takes on the tasks of the dead Missouri rig or it takes over in full by creating more instances to make up for those lost.  This is why I need huge logging space because the failover rig will have to collect data from the failed rig.  The colos provide 24/7 AC and backup power so I figured I might as well take advantage of them. 

There is no data to collect, No reason to fail over. Your rigs are running calculations and reporting the results to the pool operator. If you want to solo mine, you may want redundancy in your main wallet but not for the whole rig. JUST RUN BOTH RIGS. No need for virtualization either. Like the guy up there said, you can run the os on thumbdrives with write errors. Hopefully those 96gpu are 6990's
Arigead

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:30:00 AM

I can't see how photographs would help someone build a competing rig.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 09:26:59 AM

This guy is either a troll or batshit insane. He has no clue what he's talking about and he's completely lying about everything. Op please setup an appt with your psychologist. Everyone needs to stop interacting with him.

gill83

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 09:36:01 AM

And what happens when the ASICs hit the scene. You think you can redeem your investment?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: