Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:36:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I made a giant, overpriced mining rig  (Read 7816 times)
Tea, Towels, Vogons etc.

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 06:45:14 AM

I think what you did was a calculated risk that was well reasoned. Mine the crap out of BTC before the ASICS arrive in force.
Screw BFL, I wouldn't worry about them. They haven't even demonstrated a working prototype.
The Avalon guys, on the other hand, could really start to make things difficult by mid summer to next fall once batch 3 is shipped....I say once your net profit starts dropping like a rock, switch over and start mining litecoin instead.
I think litecoin and bitcoin are kind of symbiotic...lots of GPU miners who get chased out of bitcoin by the ASICs are gonna have two choices: mine litecoin without worry of ASIC competition and still be able to trade it for USD or BTC, or sell their stuff. The Litecoin network is going to offer resource redundancy (it 'stores' yesteryear's computing power and equipment), kind of how the used car market still provides a useful transportation for people. 
Litecoin will always play second fiddle to bitcoin, but it has demonstrated staying power and offers an alternative to Bitcoin that has enough advantages to make it a viable alternative (and some might argue, complementary) currency.
Drewbert

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 07:32:37 AM

I think you should make changes to the hardware to correct the wrong assumptions you made, in order to divert capital to other projects or recover it.

Take the important bits (the GPU cards) out of all the expensive hardware and repurpose that hardware right where it is and sell it or lease it to someone that really does need what it offers.

Then put the GPU cards into cheaper hardware and put them to work, before ASIC's spoil the party. They don't need to be in geographically diverse locations. Stick them all in a location with the cheapest possible power costs, set them running and recover some funds.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 07:42:58 AM

You could start selling hot air.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 10:39:29 AM

* Jay_Pal Grabbed some popcorn and hit the "watch" button.

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 10:56:40 AM

I am so for Pics or it Didn't happen on this one. I don't understand why you would spend that much. If I had 10k right now id be buying BTC and flipping having and hoarding as many coins as I possibly could. I am doing that with less as we speak!! Good Luck though, I would love to see pictures. No one is copying your Rig, TRUST ME!! Cool

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
TCollar (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:21:51 PM

I think you should make changes to the hardware to correct the wrong assumptions you made, in order to divert capital to other projects or recover it.

Take the important bits (the GPU cards) out of all the expensive hardware and repurpose that hardware right where it is and sell it or lease it to someone that really does need what it offers.

Then put the GPU cards into cheaper hardware and put them to work, before ASIC's spoil the party. They don't need to be in geographically diverse locations. Stick them all in a location with the cheapest possible power costs, set them running and recover some funds.

I'm mining right now.  The second rig will be up soon.  The other hardware has actually suited my needs in spite of being overkill because I have used the CPUs and RAM to do some modeling on pools and their mining success and times when it is most likely to happen.  I am at 59KH/s now and I hope to double that by today or tomorrow. But it is still a costly prospect for me but I am up and running unlike most of the ASIC folks.

TCollar (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:24:42 PM

I am so for Pics or it Didn't happen on this one. I don't understand why you would spend that much. If I had 10k right now id be buying BTC and flipping having and hoarding as many coins as I possibly could. I am doing that with less as we speak!! Good Luck though, I would love to see pictures. No one is copying your Rig, TRUST ME!! Cool

I never took pics while I was building it.  I have actually never taken a picture of a computer in my life except for at work when something went wrong and needed a photo back up for a meeting.

But, I am going to ask the folks down at the colo to take a pic for me, if you do not mind seeing racked computers next to other racked computers.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:26:57 PM

To any noob who might be mislead the OP is full of crap.  The numbers simply make no sense.  First of all the fact that he didn't realize that redundancy doesn't matter, nor does high end CPU, nor does massive amounts of ram or storage should be a clue.

Mining is perfectly parallel.  There is no need for inter hasher communication just some very very basic control and management.  A low end sempron is more than enough to run OS & cgminer.

Still that would just mean the (imaginary) rig is just a bad investment.  The OP stated 12 GPU and 59 GH/s.  There is no GPU which can produce ~5GH/s.   A 5970 heavily overclocked can get about 850 MH/s but it isn't going to be stable, cool, or efficient and getting more than 800 MH/s out of 7970 is unlikely.  More realistic 24/7 efficiently clocked GPU are going to get much less. OP didn't build anything but a tall tale.

or TL/DR version:
You could start selling hot air.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:28:58 PM

Not to mention that there isn't any OS that supports more than 8 GPU's native (as i recall!)

TCollar (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:43:35 PM

You are right about the redundancy part not being useful.  I made what I knew and failed at that part.

I have two 8 core cpus per board at 4 per cluster.  CentOS and many other versions of Linux support 8 CPUs just fine.  Mine is actually small compared to many others I have worked with.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 02:08:15 PM

As far as my huge amount of memory, I will need that to run numerous instances.  One thing I am just checking out is the possibility of adding nodes even if I could virtualize an ASIC chip.  They have such low power useage and would take up low CPU and perhaps GPU cycles that if I can virtualize and ASIC instance , then maybe this rig would not be a waste of money.

Now that is comedy gold right there.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
TCollar (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:47:10 PM

As far as my huge amount of memory, I will need that to run numerous instances.  One thing I am just checking out is the possibility of adding nodes even if I could virtualize an ASIC chip.  They have such low power useage and would take up low CPU and perhaps GPU cycles that if I can virtualize and ASIC instance , then maybe this rig would not be a waste of money.

Yep, turns out that would be impossible to very hard.  So I have stopped looking into that possibility.

But still, the promise of my virtual ASIC chip, as improbable as it is, is still about the same delivery rate as the real ASIC chip makers are doing.  THAT is comedy gold there, except that real people are getting really ripped off.  I just made a foolish purchase thinking that my knowledge of another field would make me do good in this one and I am not doing too bad. I am not going to clear my initial investment if I keep going as I am going, but others fell for a "Straw to Gold" scheme and while calling me foolish (which I admit has truth to it) they are singing the praises of non-existent hardware that they paid money for.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 02:51:15 PM

Yep, turns out that would be impossible to very hard.  So I have stopped looking into that possibility.

But still, the promise of my virtual ASIC chip, as improbable as it is, is still about the same delivery rate as the real ASIC chip makers are doing.  THAT is comedy gold there, except that real people are getting really ripped off.  I just made a foolish purchase thinking that my knowledge of another field would make me do good in this one and I am not doing too bad. I am not going to clear my initial investment if I keep going as I am going, but others fell for a "Straw to Gold" scheme and while calling me foolish (which I admit has truth to it) they are singing the praises of non-existent hardware that they paid money for.
So, turns out, this is just another BFL bashing thread.  Very clever and entertaining though.  You get the Pinkie Pie award for this week!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:52:28 PM

As far as my huge amount of memory, I will need that to run numerous instances.  One thing I am just checking out is the possibility of adding nodes even if I could virtualize an ASIC chip.  They have such low power useage and would take up low CPU and perhaps GPU cycles that if I can virtualize and ASIC instance , then maybe this rig would not be a waste of money.

Yep, turns out that would be impossible to very hard.  So I have stopped looking into that possibility.

Good. Because you obviously don't know what an ASIC is. You know what virtualizing an ASIC means? It means buying an FPGA.

TCollar (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:56:39 PM

If you go back you will see people telling me how foolish I am to not get an ASIC rig. My point is they barely exist.  They are like trying to find sasquatch on a day where it is too hot to wear an ape suit.

So, yah, a bit of bashing but I had to put up with GPU and cluster bashing so I am sure ASIC and BFL can take my criticisms just fine.

Meanwhile I will just row across the lake while listening to taunts from people who bought a speedboat they don't have yet.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:58:53 PM

ASIC or not you didn't build ANYTHING.  It isn't that you super rig is pointless or not economical .... it doesn't exist.   You claim to get 59 GH/s out of 12 GPU.  That is a 100% lie.   You made up a stupid lie, got caught, now own up to it.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:00:13 PM

But still, the promise of my virtual ASIC chip, as improbable as it is, is still about the same delivery rate as the real ASIC chip makers are doing. 

Hmmm. BTW, what do you think this is?

Besides boxes of fans and blue lights of course
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:01:36 PM

ASIC or not you didn't build ANYTHING.  It isn't that you super rig is pointless or not economical .... it doesn't exist.   You claim to get 59 GH/s out of 12 GPU.  That is a 100% lie.   You made up a stupid lie, got caught, now own up to it.
You didn't took into consideration the intel eptacores and the various TB of ram. That has to speedup the rig somehow. Not sure of how!

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:11:13 PM

Did I misread? I thought he said that that rate was between 4 systems. 4x 12GPUs = 48GPUs. My estimates before he posted his rates were based on them all being 7970s. His new rate is possible with them all being this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131483&Tpk=7990&IsVirtualParent=1

Or similar by another brand. Considering the official 7990 has not been released and the limited quantities of custom designs from other vendors, it is incredible that he was able to get 48 of them.

Also insane that they aren't overheating all to crap, never mind even fitting due to the coolers. What's your solution for that?

TCollar (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:11:20 PM

It looks like a shelf of ASIC rigs,  Probably from Avalon.

Easy to buy those Avalons, aren't they?  ASIC chip production is just increasing exponentially with the demand huh? 
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: