Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:37:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin does not solve any problems!  (Read 2472 times)
momagic (OP)

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:06:57 PM

The way things are going with Bitcoin banks, Bitcoin gambling etc will Bitcoin actually solve the evils associated with money?

In the UK we blame the bankers for all the problems. What makes the Bitcoin Banks/Exchanges different than the greedy bankers? You say 'it's decentralized' but the people who have all the Bitcoins actually control the whole economy... like Goldman Sucks control the world.

Just a few thoughts, don't troll me too hard.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 09:10:38 PM

I have a dream, a dream that all of gods children will not need to exchange their bitcoins for anything other than goods or services.

A dream where people say "Fiat?  What's that?"

I have a dream.

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:33:31 PM

These are not problems with money; these are human problems - problems with greed, incompetence, etc.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
billysykes

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:35:16 PM

I have a dream of going to the supermarket and paying with BTC, once I can fill my car, buy groceries and pay for bills. I no longer need fiat......When that day comes I will party hard.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 10:17:21 PM

I have a dream of going to the supermarket and paying with BTC, once I can fill my car, buy groceries and pay for bills. I no longer need fiat......When that day comes I will party hard.

This may or may not happen, though I do foresee the possibility of a sizeable number of B&M stores accepting BTC/LTC, with the majority of transaction volume remaining (at least temporarily) in fiat.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:21:14 PM

With Bitcoin we have at least opportunity for change. If it is used properly. Keep the coins yourself, don't trust exchanges, banks and similar establishments. Trade person to person to avoid middleman and tracking. The problems are humans, but Bitcoin is great and unique tool to be used by our side.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
momagic (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:25:31 PM

The problems are humans, but Bitcoin is great and unique tool to be used by our side.

But if Bitcoin hits the mainstream, mothers and wives will find BTC to complicated to handle. If it does hit the main stream expect the masses to be trading with Satoshis, even I don't get that one.
astutiumRob

Activity: 201

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 10:28:32 PM

Bitcoin does not solve any problems!
Did you forget to tick the "world peace" option when you installed the client ?

will Bitcoin actually solve the evils associated with money?
How would a-n-other type of "money" solve a perceived problem with money ?

What _problem_ are you seeing, that you'd like to see bitcoin help you fix ?

www.astutium.com - domains | hosting | vps | servers | cloud - proud to accept bitcoins. UK colocation for BFL and KNC ASICs in Tier3+ DC
Register Domains with BTC
Want to make some bitcoins ? Miner on ebay | Buy GH/s
JackH

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:28:59 PM

You dont get it, Bitcoin is not ment to replace the current system, since banks are important for certain things, such as lending, financing, investments etc.

Bitcoin however is offering an alternative. Gone will be the days of having to apply for a merchant account and go through crappy rules at the banks backed up by their masters, Visa and Mastercard.

Gone as the days when the inflation can skyrocket and people's money loose value because someone in the top wanted to print more cash.

And gone are the days of extreme fees, frozen bank accounts, levies on money (Cyprus anyone?).

Bitcoin is that alternative that will get the banks to start respecting their clients once again. Its a competitive model that will get people to question why certain things are like they are. It will make paypal to rethink their extreme fees and arrogance.

Embrace Bitcoin because this is your only safe bet against the powers that be at the moment.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:37:47 PM

Stefan Molyneux covers this phenomenon well. For some reason, whenever someone proposes a radical new theory that could solve many problems we currently face, people assume it's presented as a utopian theory when it's not.

So, since nobody proposes that bitcoin will solve all the world's problems, we don't have to prove that. We do propose that bitcoin will solve many of the world's problems better than they are currently being addressed, and there is oodles of writing on how fiat enables all kinds of evil and the various concepts behind bitcoin will help eradicate fiat, etc., etc.

Also, human nature is a social construct.  Grin
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 10:44:05 PM

The problems are humans, but Bitcoin is great and unique tool to be used by our side.

But if Bitcoin hits the mainstream, mothers and wives will find BTC to complicated to handle. If it does hit the main stream expect the masses to be trading with Satoshis, even I don't get that one.

I showed my 73 year old mother how to exchange bitcoins on her iPhone. It was quite easy.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
momagic (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

I hear all of you guys but what about the whole bullshit backstory story? The way I see it Bitcoin is an alternative to the system, the same system that has put a stranglehold on freedom.

It's exactly the same thing, should BTC become a world leader the whole world will change... but will it be for the better?
whitenight639

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:23:13 PM

For too long we have been being nudged slowly towards a cashless society, partly by design, partly by laziness and apathy,

Bitcoin is Cash 2.0 It has the advantages of cash and more, It's like cash with a property title attached to it, It means people own their own labour and time rather than the debt based paper backed by your brothers labour and time. Bitcoins are not subject to the whim of central or retail bankers, or politicians.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
momagic (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:27:43 PM

For too long we have been being nudged slowly towards a cashless society, partly by design, partly by laziness and apathy,

Bitcoin is Cash 2.0 It has the advantages of cash and more, It's like cash with a property title attached to it, It means people own their own labour and time rather than the debt based paper backed by your brothers labour and time. Bitcoins are not subject to the whim of central or retail bankers, or politicians.

Yes, but whose? Satoshi?
whitenight639

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:58:48 PM

Yes, but whose? Satoshi?

no, nor the devs,

if anything it is subject to the majority of nodes / users / miners.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
BitPirate

Activity: 238

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:03:10 AM

First of all, sexism isn't sexy dude.

Secondly, it's a problem that will solve itself. As adoption increases, there will be money to be made from building a better interface. As these interfaces get better, adoption will further increase.

It's happened so man times before, with almost every gadget, appliance and service we use today.

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:19:24 AM

I have a simple question for the OP: When was the world ever good and fair? Was it before the invention of money? before the concept of bartering? Maybe it was before the invention of humans?

Your question is beyond Bitcoin's err... pay grade. Bitcoin is trying to fulfill one objective. What you seek could be found in spirituality or deep meditation, but not inside a bitcoin wallet.

Obviously it is a fun thread and I guess you already knew all that :-)
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:22:40 AM

Tell me, did ordinary people benefit from email coming into existence?  Did it solve any problems?  It's just another form of mail isn't it?
befuddled

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:51:54 AM

What makes the Bitcoin Banks/Exchanges different than the greedy bankers?

Banking is not inherently problematic or corrupt. The problem comes when the state 1) ensures deposits, and 2) gives them a monopoly on the creation of debt-backed money. The bankers book accounting profits when they make risky bets that pay off. But when the deflationary bust follows the inflationary expansion, the deposit guarantees become become a hammer over the sovereign and/or central bank, who ultimately take the bad debts off the balance sheets of the banks giving them good money in return (e.g. Maiden Lane and MBS) because they don't have any way of making good on the deposit insurance if they let the bank fail. Thus, profits are privatized for the bankers' bonuses, and losses are socialized, either through debasement of currency or outright bailouts from the sovereign (e.g. TARP).  This corruption is not even an unintended consequence of statism. It's right there in the FDIC charter (in the US case): "to create confidence in the banking system". Why is it a good thing to have confidence in an insolvent bank?

Under laissez-faire capitalism, bankers would have to compete on the basis of solvency, and would live in mortal fear of a bank run. They would never have taken the risks they ran in the runup to the banking crisis. Depositors would understand that their deposits are no better than the ability of the bank to make good on them. Depositors would want to know that the bank is solvent.

But because the sovereign and central bank are backing the banks, the ultimate consequence (historically) is debasement of the currency in an attempt to preserve the status quo by covering bad debts of banks (as well as to cover the fiscal insanity of the sovereign who can always find voters willing to vote for free-anything that the state otherwise has no way of paying for).

That's where Bitcoin comes in and why it's different. It can serve as a monetary base that cannot be debased by the state. It is a currency that can't be hyperinflated away.

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:54:45 AM

The difference between bitcoin and and the banking system:

Bitcoiners gamble with their own money.
Banks gamble with your money.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Pages: [1] 2 »  All