Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:14:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what do i do with a freicoin  (Read 1470 times)
saddambitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:30:16 AM

the more i hoard this coin the more it loses value, where can i buy something with it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dreamweaver

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Trying to find my way.

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:00:46 AM

Well right now theres nothing really. Maybe check the Freicoin forums. But overall FRC seems like a really bad idea. Taking away value from people for hoarding doesn't sound like a good idea to me, hence why many havent bothered with it to begin with. Sounds a lot like what a central issuer of fiat would do. And who knows if a practical use for FRC will ever come.

BTC: 15hfE8dXf13Z1n5WQnpoF24Zr7G8Fv1Ghk
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:06:41 AM

the more i hoard this coin the more it loses value, where can i buy something with it?

Maybe you could pay a software developer to make a ticker/app which shows how much value you have already lost to this dubious idea.  Like a realtime you have lost "X" clock.
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Another block in the wall

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:23:18 AM

Maybe you could pay a software developer to make a ticker/app which shows how much value you have already lost to this dubious idea.  Like a realtime you have lost "X" clock.

LOL

In Cryptography we trust.
saddambitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:48:11 AM

it is kind of like holding USD, the value just goes down but i have less of this green smelly paper

Ignore@YourPeril

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:20:16 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2013, 06:47:28 AM by Ignore@YourPeril

Taking away value from people for hoarding doesn't sound like a good idea to me,

Every satoshi of which is financing network security and indirectly subsidizing tx fees. In 3 years Freicoin will transfer more of a percentage of the coins to miners, than that of Bitcoin.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:37:28 AM

Eventually it disappears.

more or less retired.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 09:29:30 AM

Until there's a BTC/FRC exchange (ehem, profit opportunity for entrepreneurs), it is very difficult that merchants accept them, because they cannot convert them to other currencies, including their local national currency that the NEED to pay some bills.
BTC/FRC would be actually something good to start, but USD/FRC, EUR/FRC and the like would help much too.
Think about how much BTC has grown after services like bitpay. Think about how little it was before the first exchange (technically we have an exchange, but not very useful because it's only tradeable for other small altcoins, excluding bitcoin and namecoin).

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 01:29:22 PM

5% demerging is like the frog that jumps half the distance of pond in the first jump, then half that distance in the second jump, then half the halved distance in the third... will the frog ever get to the other side of the pond?? technically no 1/2 + 1/4 +1/8.. etc never actually = 1 

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:59:07 PM

Taking away value from people for hoarding doesn't sound like a good idea to me,

Every satoshi of which is financing network security and indirectly subsidizing tx fees. In 3 years Freicoin will transfer more of a percentage of the coins to miners, than that of Bitcoin.

So the coin that disappears actually goes to the miners? Interesting idea.
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 11:34:01 AM

So the coin that disappears actually goes to the miners? Interesting idea.

Yes.
Miners will end up receiving a constant subsidy that combined with demurrage will lead to a constant supple when the supply gets to be 20x the constant final miner's subsidy, which is 5 MM frc annually (so the supply converges at 100 MM frc).

5% demerging is like the frog that jumps half the distance of pond in the first jump, then half that distance in the second jump, then half the halved distance in the third... will the frog ever get to the other side of the pond?? technically no 1/2 + 1/4 +1/8.. etc never actually = 1 

But freicoin aren't infinitely divisible (like space in your example), so the satoshi actually disappears when you have less than 0.5 satoshis on an output. That's why colored coins aren't feasible in freicoin without modifications, that is, directly implementing what I sued to call "ripplecoin" (not sure that term is appropriate now that ledger consensus Ripple exists) inside freicoin. Those changes could be merged into bitcoin later to improve the "smart assets" management if there's consensus on the part of the devs.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 11:37:17 AM

The coin that "ROBS" from everyone to give to the "MINERS".

Interesting version of Robin Hood.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 11:47:24 AM

The way I see it, Freicoin just pays for its security (miners) more with demurrage fees than with transaction fees.
"Everyone" has to pay for the security of the system (that miners provide) one way or another.

chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:29:36 PM

I don't mine freicoins or buy them.

But, I researched them, and the main point of freicoin is so that the cost of capital is 0%.  So, you could lend your money to other people.  (trust issues though).

Also the demurrage goes back to miners, so if you keep mining you'll still grow.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:21:22 PM

What happens to 1 Freicoin, can that lose 4.9%?

And if so, what happens when you are left with the smallest unit possible? Does it ever get to 0?
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 03:28:15 PM

Bitcoin robs from everybody and gives to miners too.

jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 03:49:06 PM

What happens to 1 Freicoin, can that lose 4.9%?

Yes, Freicoin are divisible to 8 decimal numbers just like bitcoin. You pay 4.9% annually, which is (if I remember well) 2 ^ (-20) % per block. It is a base 2 number per block for sure, that's the reason why is not 5% annual: so that calculations can be optimal with computers.

And if so, what happens when you are left with the smallest unit possible? Does it ever get to 0?

Take into account that there's rounding errors, but basically when 1 satoshi gets to be less than 0.5 satoshis, the satoshi disappears.
Well, maaku must have the correct answer for this, but I'm almost certain that this is how it works.

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:48:40 PM

Take into account that there's rounding errors, but basically when 1 satoshi gets to be less than 0.5 satoshis, the satoshi disappears.
Well, maaku must have the correct answer for this, but I'm almost certain that this is how it works.

Does this mean eventually all the satoshi's will disappear and not be rewarded to miners, thus eventually destroying all the coins? (Because you can't reward less than 1 satoshi to the miners, right?)
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 12:23:27 PM

Does this mean eventually all the satoshi's will disappear and not be rewarded to miners, thus eventually destroying all the coins? (Because you can't reward less than 1 satoshi to the miners, right?)

What miners receive will be constant. Actually, it's not like they directly receive the demurrage fees. We've taken a simpler approach.
Demurrage fees are just destroyed, but after the 100 MM freicoin are out there what will be destroyed will equal what miners receive.
So effectively miners are receiving the demurrage fees, but not literally.

If someone losses his wallet, for example, the coins will end up being "recycled". After a wallet loss, the monetary supply will be temporarily reduced, but it will eventually converge to 100 MM again automatically.
Bitcoin on the other hand doesn't have such a mechanism, so the supply will end up being effectively less than 21 MM. The lost coins will just add value to the rest of the bitcoins, but bitcoin devs aren't concerned with deflation or hoarding.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:24:51 PM

Buy something at auction. http://fre.icoin.ch/

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: