Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:59:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confiscating gold vs confiscating bitcoin  (Read 739 times)
Bowjob (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:39:28 AM

"They first have to find the gold. If they confiscate bitcoins all they have to do is take over computers. If they are to confiscate gold, they have to search each individuals homes. Mush harder (Especially if you do not keep your metals at home ) Wink"

According to a gold bug.. Wow.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:46:53 AM

Tell him they'll have to confiscate my brains for my coins.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:49:04 AM

Tell them you committed something that may have been a crime, and used a statement confessing it as a brainwallet.  Plead the 5th.

BTC -> sha256("I sped")

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Littleshop
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:51:06 AM

"They first have to find the gold. If they confiscate bitcoins all they have to do is take over computers. If they are to confiscate gold, they have to search each individuals homes. Mush harder (Especially if you do not keep your metals at home ) Wink"

I think both are on the same level, both basically require the government to search homes.  Both have countermeasures (like Casascius coins and hiding gold).  Neither is likely in the USA.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:52:51 AM

Tell him they'll have to confiscate my brains for my coins.

Nooo, what have you done!

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Bowjob (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:53:58 AM

I think both are on the same level, both basically require the government to search homes.  Both have countermeasures (like Casascius coins and hiding gold).  Neither is likely in the USA.

Not really. If my harddrive fails utterly, and my backups too, I can recover those coins pretty easily.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:59:16 AM

No, not the same at all.  It's easy enough to prove that gold exists, if you can find it.  You can't prove that I have any bitcoins at all, even if you have a copy of my wallet.dat.  Because it's encrypted also.  You have to have me and access to my computer.  If you have me, then it doesn't much matter because you can use rubber hose crytography.  But if I have gold in my safety deposit box, I may be able to evade capture but not if I return for my gold.  With bitcoins and an Electrum neumonic wallet, I could flee to just about anywhere and recover my bitcoins using a borrowed laptop if I must.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Littleshop
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 03:09:28 AM

No, not the same at all.  It's easy enough to prove that gold exists, if you can find it.  You can't prove that I have any bitcoins at all, even if you have a copy of my wallet.dat.  Because it's encrypted also.  You have to have me and access to my computer.  If you have me, then it doesn't much matter because you can use rubber hose crytography.  But if I have gold in my safety deposit box, I may be able to evade capture but not if I return for my gold.  With bitcoins and an Electrum neumonic wallet, I could flee to just about anywhere and recover my bitcoins using a borrowed laptop if I must.

If I have your wallet.dat I know how many coins you have.  I just can not spend them. 

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:11:18 AM

20th century thinking is not appropriate today. Government, or a powerful corporation, does not have to search your home to find wallet.dat or paper wallet or even your brain. They need to watch network traffic, searching for the particular spend they are after.  

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:07:32 AM

If I have your wallet.dat I know how many coins you have.  I just can not spend them. 

Can you prove that's my only wallet?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 10:18:14 AM

20th century thinking is not appropriate today. Government, or a powerful corporation, does not have to search your home to find wallet.dat or paper wallet or even your brain. They need to watch network traffic, searching for the particular spend they are after.  
This is why Tor works also with Bitcoin.

Gold is much harder to hide, it cannot be encrypted to appear indistinguishable from poo. Bitcoin data can be encrypted to be indistinguishable from random data using full disc encryption. Hidden bitcoins can be more easily hidden with smaller footprint, like microSD card vs gold bar. And both gold and Bitcoin can be hidden in remote locations in woods.

Gold have pros that it will retain value even after unlikely event when electricity and internet disappear worldwide.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: