Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:07:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can i pass on my bitcoins in case i die?  (Read 6505 times)
groll

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 08:46:26 AM

Makes me think also to give bitcoin as inheritance.  I think you could just write it on a journal about your email address, password for your bitcoin wallet.  And then wrap it up with the tag "Do not open until I die" then the name of the person who will inherit your bitcoins. Cheesy  But if you want it to be more legal, you could ask some attorney and have your last will and testament. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
susila_bai

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 08:52:23 AM

Thank you very much OP for giving such a good ideas,

I think it is better to keep all the wallets records in a pendrive with full details in a notepad, apart from that you can create a book with full details about how to use the bitcoin wallets and procedures of using bitcoin online and how to convert it to fiat currency. Like this you can keep all records in any safe place or in bank lockers and give instructions to bank  or your lawyers about the will of the bank locker details like this they will get all details about your bitcoin and they will take benefit of your hardwork after you are died
Senor.Bla (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 08:07:09 AM

so i was thinking a bit about different solutions and there i one question that i would like your opinion on.
what time span should it take to redeem the coins once i am dead or go missing (i know that there are laws on that, but forget about that)?

Sharma
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

GATCOIN : The New Currency Of Digital Marketing

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 11:04:08 AM

so i was thinking a bit about different solutions and there i one question that i would like your opinion on.
what time span should it take to redeem the coins once i am dead or go missing (i know that there are laws on that, but forget about that)?
Since you dont want to consider laws related to inheritance then your coins could be immediately accessed,used,redeemed or can be put to whatever use your heirs want to put them at.There's no maximum or minimum time limit

█████▄▄▄▄
   ████████████▄▄▄            ▀██████
   ███ ▀▀▀▀█████████▄          ▀█████
   ███         ▀▀▀█████▄         ▀███
   ███              ▀▀████▄▄███    ▀▀
   ███                ▀███████▀
   ███                    █████
   ███     ███▄         ▄███████
   ▐██▌     ▀███▄     ▄███▀  ███
   ▐███       ▀███▄▄ ███▀     ███
    ███▌        ▀████        ▐██▌
     ███         ████         ███
      ███      ▄█████▄       ▐██
       ███   ▄████▀ ▀███▄     ▐██
        ███▄████▀     ▀███▄   ███
         █████▀         ▀███▄████
          ██▀             ▀█████▌
                            ▀███▌
  ██████                      ▀▀
  ▀▀▀███
     ███
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
█         █   ███
 █        ███  ███  █
███       ███   █  ███
███   █   ███   █  ███
███  ███   █       ███
███  ███   █       ███
 █   ███            █
 █    █             █
             JOIN US             
TELEGRAM TWITTER FACEBOOK
LINKEDIN WHITEPAPER
stevo401

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 01:35:54 PM

As opposed to renting a safe deposit box at the bank to store your wallet information, many banks offer a 'secure document' or 'secure packet' service where they only store an a4 envelope of documents for you at a much cheaper cost. You can use this service to store details of your wallet information, but also copies of your Will, any power of attorney documents, your passport and your insurance policies as well.
You could then leave this packet to your heir in the event of death, or alternatively you can arrange for your heir to be able to sign the packet in and out of the bank by themselves - this might not always be the best option, but if you've got unconditional trust with the heir (for example, my wife can sign out my packet, but we also have joint bank accounts and live together so it's not like she wouldn't have access to my information or assets anyway!).
Senor.Bla (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 05:45:37 PM

Since you dont want to consider laws related to inheritance then your coins could be immediately accessed,used,redeemed or can be put to whatever use your heirs want to put them at.There's no maximum or minimum time limit
yes, i want to put the laws aside for this question. and that is why there is no minimum or maximum time limit. for me this begs the question if there should be a time limit.
here is why. my hires fake the death certificate, take the coin and off to mexico. maybe i get imprisoned or kidnapped and the do not hear from me for maybe a month. they assume i am dead and want to cash out and when i am back the money is gone. on the other hand i might want them to have access to money in case i am imprisoned or kidnapped and need help.
so i was wandering what is a good amount of time where the coins are frozen.

omer_parvez

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 06:41:21 PM

i think leaving clues and telling your loved ones or love one the tricks and educating them about bitcoins will help you in more than one ways and you can simply tell them about bitcoins and how to use them after you die and good luck for your future
groll

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 08:28:27 AM

i think leaving clues and telling your loved ones or love one the tricks and educating them about bitcoins will help you in more than one ways and you can simply tell them about bitcoins and how to use them after you die and good luck for your future

So you want your loved ones to be Sherlock before they have the bitcoins they have inherited? Grin  I agree with educating them about bitcoins because they will not just have the bitcoins but they will learn and know how to grow it more.  Through that they will be able to make a living out of the inherited bitcoins.
Superbitzz

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 07:05:39 PM

i think you should writhe your wallet key and keep it will your well and should also write the instruction about your bitcoin that how to distribute or use it after your death, i think it is not such a difficult thing to do.
fatima zuhra

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 10:15:33 PM

i think you should writhe your wallet key and keep it will your well and should also write the instruction about your bitcoin that how to distribute or use it after your death, i think it is not such a difficult thing to do.
yes i am also agree with you  that if you want to pass on your bitcoins in case you die, you should keep it with your well and your bitcoin can be use by any other person after your death.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 11:25:37 PM

pretty easy. let them know the details, as long as you trust them, and away they go. personally I'm not gonna make it official in any will. screw paying any possible inheritance tax. my final bitcoin act is gonna be to use it for what it's intended for - controlling my own money.
The00Dustin

Activity: 807
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 03:06:28 PM

Regarding the concern about using the coins but not updating a private key with a lawyer or safe deposit box, this is not a problem if you have a deterministic wallet.  I believe the latest version of bitcoin core will create a deterministic wallet if you don't already have a non-deterministic wallet.  Several other wallet softwares will as well, and I believe all hardware wallets are deterministic.  To be clear, a deterministic wallet is a wallet where each subsequent change (and/or receiving) address can be unlocked from the same root key/password.  In other words, you only need to store the information once, and anytime a wallet is re-generated from it, the remaining coins will be spendable.

Regarding the concern about involving a bank or lawyer in general, it has been a few years, and I have not had any luck finding the service even though I want to, but I once read about a service that stores whatever information you want (I say information, not data, because I believe they store the data in a secured database vs storing individual files, and the service is really meant for passwords and account information) in an electronically secure manner (supposed to be secure from hackers and disasters) for release to designated persons upon your death.  Obviously this would not be a zero-knowledge service, so there would be some third party risk, but in order to do the same thing with a zero-knowledge service and not still involve a third party to protect a password (something you know in 2FA terminology), it would be necessary to secure that service with something you have instead or as well.  Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen anything secured with zero-knowledge using something you have for security.
doomistake

Activity: 1400
Merit: 571

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 03:28:56 PM

Just tell them about your bitcoin account, your password and other important information that is connected to your bitcoin account simple as that. And it's better if you'll tell them about bitcoin as well in this case they will be familiar with it and they won't have any hard time for them if the time comes that they are the one who are gonna use your bitcoin account.
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 03:37:28 PM

The only thing that i can suggest to you is to inform one of you family member just choose trusted one so that your bitcoin is safe while you are collecting bitcoin and saving it for a long time. one you have die just make sure you make already automated note in your pc welcome note or sign that the one who trusted members in your family can remember what you have said to him or her.
ArcCsch

Activity: 224
Merit: 117

▲ Portable backup power source for mining.

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 03:58:23 PM

I have heard of someone stealing lots of bitcoins and distributing them, the thief created a transaction that sends all the coins to 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE after a certain block number. You could have your hair create a wallet, set up a similar transaction for your coins (set to a couple of months) that sends them to your hair, if the block is approaching and you are still alive, send all your coins to a new address and set up a similar transaction. Unless your hair is tech-savvy, it is unlikely he/she will even know about it until the coins show up.

If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have any bitcoin!  Signature campaigns are OK, zero tolorance for spam!
1JGYXhfhPrkiHcpYkiuCoKpdycPhGCuswa
YTBitcoin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 10:48:28 PM

Try to select for a trusted person in your home and tell him about the details of your bitcoins so after you he will be able to get your bitcoins and will be able to take benefit of that otherwise your bitcoins will die with you.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2016, 11:37:15 PM

Try to select for a trusted person in your home and tell him about the details of your bitcoins so after you he will be able to get your bitcoins and will be able to take benefit of that otherwise your bitcoins will die with you.
I think this answer is repeat many times here and i think its  a common way but how about if you dont have a  family how you can save your bitcoins and give them for your family in the future? it will save for a long time.. thats why i think the price of bitcoin will not go down because of this if there is a investors died when they are invest a lot in bitcoin they can not get those money back.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Senor.Bla (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 05:45:14 PM

I think this answer is repeat many times here and i think its  a common way but how about if you dont have a  family how you can save your bitcoins and give them for your family in the future? it will save for a long time.. thats why i think the price of bitcoin will not go down because of this if there is a investors died when they are invest a lot in bitcoin they can not get those money back.
yes, every other answer is useless and/or mentioned already, but this is simply how this forum works. all in all there seems to be not one perfect solution but many. depending on your exact situation one solution might be better then the other. 

th3nolo

Activity: 1232
Merit: 669

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 11:59:26 PM

I guess you should leave all your credentials and your private key details of your  cold wallet if you have.
perhaps a smart contract ethereum there are many possibilities but the easiest thing to my mind is your private key.
besides having a safe place to prevent the person you don't want steal your funds

▄██▄
   ▄██▄      ▀█▀▀     ▄██▄
   ▀██▀▄  ▄▄█████▄▄  ▐███▀
       ███████████████
      ████████▀▄▄▄▀████
 ▄▄  ▐███▀▄▀██▄▀▀▀▄█████  ▄▄
████▀█████▄███▀▀█████ ██▀████
 ▀▀  ▐███▄███ ██ ████ █▌  ▀▀
      ▀████▄██▄▄███▀▄█▀
    ▄▄ █▀██████▀▄▄▄█▀█ ▄▄
   ████▀   ▀▀▀█▀▀▀   ▐████
    ▀▀       ▄██▄      ▀▀
             ▀██▀
⟩ ⟩ ⟩             ▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █▄
 █           ▀▀▀  █
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▄
█ ▄▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀█ █
█ █ █       █    █ ▄
█ █ ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    █ █
█ █ ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄ █ █
█ █ █   █  ██  █ █ █
█ █ ▄▀▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀ █ █
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
⟩ ⟩ ⟩       ▄████▄  ▄████▄
      ████████████████
      ████████████████
       ██████████████
        ▀██████████▀
██        ▀██████▀        ██
██▌   ▄            ▄   ▐██
███  ███▄          ▄███  ███
▀███▄ ▀███▄      ▄███▀ ▄███▀
  ▀████████      ████████▀
     ▀████▀      ▀████▀
     ▄   ▄▄      ▄▄   ▄
     ▀█████      █████▀
Bitcotalk

Activity: 966
Merit: 517

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 10:36:03 AM

yes i am also agree with you  that if you want to pass on your bitcoins in case you die, you should keep it with your well and your bitcoin can be use by any other person after your death.

and for that he also have to give the complete details of access to the wallet of his to the person which he will want to distribute his bitcoins after his death but you believe it is hard for to give our info to someone.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: