Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:12:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.8.1 upgrade help (sorted today by liamwli) thanks  (Read 790 times)
reg (OP)

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:29:31 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2013, 07:29:19 PM by reg

non tech user needs help to upgrade: current client 4.7.3. System linuxOS I have teamviewer7 installed.
I downloaded upgrade (linux.tar.gz)and extracted to documents folder. I used split screen to click,drag and copy update to old version- this now does say it is bitcoin 0.8.1 but when I run client nothing has changed it still says it is old version? it does no rescan and loads in normal time 2-3 min whereas Gavin said it could take a few hours?
anyone! reg
ps I do not know what I am doing wrong?
have I loaded the wrong version?
Is there something else in "just copy it over" I need to do?
Should the icon on the desktop also be changed?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
reg (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:42:57 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153114.msg1624868#msg1624868

hi,If anyone can help- here is a link to a recent but connected problem I had. It is a novel but true!
I am struggling with the very basic functions of a linuxOS system as will be evident. To summarize I had an unexplained "strange transaction". Two very clever people came to the conclusion my private key had been compromised. I am still not sure about that? I messed up the rescan and psy kindly recovered my lost client.
I thought an update might resolve this but I am so silly I can't even do that!. Maybe someone who is a masochist, insane and would help just for the challenge could help me. My only hope is that very clever people have just those traits i need. thanks reg. 
ps I beat Fritz9 on hobby player level at chess yesterday! so there is some hope.
w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:17:03 PM

Hi reg,

First, make a safe, secure backup of your wallet.dat.  This is absolute. Do that before anything, and even if something goes wrong you'll still have your coins.

In my opinion, the simplest option is just to create a symbolic link to the upgraded bitcoin-qt client.  This is like a Windows shortcut.  Assuming you put it in a directory called 'Documents' in your home directory, you want to run this command in your terminal (ctrl-T usually).  If you use Ubuntu or Linux Mint, you'd run:

sudo rm /usr/bin/bitcoin-qt
sudo ln -s ~/Documents/bitcoin-0.8.1-linux/bin/64/bitcoin-qt /usr/bin/bitcoin-qt

Otherwise, you'd switch to root and then run the two command above without the sudo in front.  Make sure the directory names above match exactly your actual directory names (e.g., if you renamed bitcoin directory you'd need to adjust the directory name accordingly).

You'll need to change the 64 in the command above to a 32 if your os is 32-bit.  You can check this by running:

uname -p

If it says "x86_64" or "ia64", you need "64" but if it says anything else, like "i686" or "i386", then you need "32".

Normally, you'd want to move the new bitcoin app to another location (like /opt) but for the sake of simplicity just keep it in the Documents directory unless you feel comfortable moving it. If you do move it, you'll need to relink it using the commands above, but with the new directory.

Once you do this, any menu shortcuts you have to bitcoin should run the updated version.  You'll need to delete all the files from your .bitcoin hidden directory except your wallet.dat before you run the updated client.  The safest way to do that is to make sure you've backed up (copied) your wallet.dat to another directory, then delete all the files in the .bitcoin directory, then copy the wallet.dat back in.  Use the GUI file manager for this if you feel more comfortable.  The new version of bitcoin will still look for your wallet in the same default location (the ls -".bitcoin" directory).  If you don't know how to do this, or don't feel comfortable doing it, then post a response and me or someone else will help.

Good luck!  And just know that as long as you have the wallet.dat backed up, there's almost always a way to get to your coins if something goes wrong (nothing should go wrong if you follow the directions above).  So make sure you've securely backed up wallet.dat before any of this, and make sure it's a new backup.

4096R/F5EA0017
reg (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:01:09 PM

If you don't know how to do this, or don't feel comfortable doing it, then post a response and me or someone else will help

thanks for your detailed response. The problem is I do not know enough to "run" commands. If you remember I downloaded the update into a downloads file and extracted it, by default it loaded into documents. The old client is in the home directory however and that is how I was able to update it- by using split screen and dragging it across. Now the client in home says it is bitcoin 0.8.1 but the desktop icon to run it I have done nothing with. so my questions are these: can the two versions both be in the folder but with only the updated title and is the start icon pointing to the old version? Also I know I have a 32 bit linuxOS already. So should I try to copy the updated icon in the document folder to the desktop and try to run the new version like that or do I need to still run the commands you suggested? I am weary of deleting stuff although I have a backup wallet.dat and moved all btc's to a wallet on blockchain.info untill I sort this out!. reg
Liam W

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:36:33 PM

What linux distro are you using? On Ubuntu, bring up the terminal with the Ctrl+Alt+t command Smiley
reg (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:45:10 PM

What linux distro are you using? On Ubuntu, bring up the terminal with the Ctrl+Alt+t command

psy had trouble getting me to discover this- If I do what you suggest above where is the result displayed? I have a very basic linuxOS installed (by my son) and I have very little knowledge of basic functions but if you explain step by step I could find out. reg 
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:46:14 PM

What linux distro are you using? On Ubuntu, bring up the terminal with the Ctrl+Alt+t command

psy had trouble getting me to discover this- If I do what you suggest above where is the result displayed? I have a very basic linuxOS installed (by my son) and I have very little knowledge of basic functions but if you explain step by step I could find out. reg 

Hmm. Did you say you had teamviewer? That would be easier Wink
reg (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:49:44 PM

teamviewer

yes version7 it was how psy sorted me last time-I was impressed with it.reg
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:54:42 PM

teamviewer

yes version7 it was how psy sorted me last time-I was impressed with it.reg

Check your PM's Smiley
w1R903

Activity: 218

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:01:51 PM

If you don't know how to do this, or don't feel comfortable doing it, then post a response and me or someone else will help

thanks for your detailed response. The problem is I do not know enough to "run" commands. If you remember I downloaded the update into a downloads file and extracted it, by default it loaded into documents. The old client is in the home directory however and that is how I was able to update it- by using split screen and dragging it across. Now the client in home says it is bitcoin 0.8.1 but the desktop icon to run it I have done nothing with. so my questions are these: can the two versions both be in the folder but with only the updated title and is the start icon pointing to the old version? Also I know I have a 32 bit linuxOS already. So should I try to copy the updated icon in the document folder to the desktop and try to run the new version like that or do I need to still run the commands you suggested? I am weary of deleting stuff although I have a backup wallet.dat and moved all btc's to a wallet on blockchain.info untill I sort this out!. reg

Great, smart move to move all your bitcoins elsewhere temporarily.  I'm relieved you did that.

I think someone else is helping you right now via teamviewer but if not pm me and I'll see if I can help you sometime today or tomorrow.

4096R/F5EA0017
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 07:25:03 PM

Great, smart move to move all your bitcoins elsewhere temporarily.  I'm relieved you did that.

I think someone else is helping you right now via teamviewer but if not pm me and I'll see if I can help you sometime today or tomorrow.

Yup, I sorted it for them Smiley
reg (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:28:05 PM

liamwli

Many thanks for liamwli who sorted me out (literally) by using teamviewer. What a star! reg.
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 07:29:02 PM

liamwli

Many thanks for liamwli who sorted me out (literally) by using teamviewer. What a star! reg.

Thanks Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: