Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 01:07:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting out with my mining rig. Constructive advice/thoughts please :)?  (Read 632 times)
uzer (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 09:27:53 AM

Hi everybody,

I have cruised around the forums before, but am a new member.

I am getting started in the bitcoin-biz, and I would like some advice/thoughts on my mining-rig (Work In Progress)

Currently I have:

5x MSI X48C Platinum MOBO
4 GB RAM (2X2GB) per MOBO (240 pin, PC3-6400 800 MHz DDR3 SDRAM)
Intel Pentium D 945 Processor (4M Cache, 3.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

10x AMD 5970 (2x [pci-e 16x] per MOBO, GPU's on each MOBO will be connected with a crossfire bridge)

I was thinking of getting pci-e flex cables, so the GPU's have more ventilation space. Is there any downside to pci-e flex cables?

I am currently waiting on everything to be shipped tho,
so in the mean time I still need to get some kind of storage for my units, how many people are using usb drives instead of HDD's? Aren't HDD's more reliable?

I am planning on running windows XP on them, but I have heard better things about linux for multi GPU's.
Has anyone had any problems using XP? What is the best/stable version of ubuntu for mining?

I also need to get some good/cheap PSU's, has anyone ever heard of the "RAIDMAX RX-1000AE 1000W"?

With the amount of GPU-power my rigs will make, should I bother to join a bitcoin-pool? Or just mine solo?

I will try to post some pics once everything is set up Smiley!

Any constructive thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks!
alternativesurfer

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:22:32 PM

I can only offer advice on the PSU.
Do not go cheap when it comes to powering your rig.
koobie

Activity: 16

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:47:38 PM

I'm not sure I would be building a GPU rig now.  But since you are, I will tell you that you don't need to use crossfire.  From what I have read here, mining does not require crossfire support. 
Search for crossfire in the hardware subsection to verify.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: