Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:32:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transifex translations for Armory  (Read 856 times)
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2016, 01:19:22 AM

Armory is now supporting Transifex translations for the software. The website translations will be coming soon.

Transifex: www.transifex.com/bitcoin-armory/

Please submit your translations and these will be included in future versions of Armory.

Right now the languages that we are supporting are:
  • English
  • Chinese (China)
  • Chinese (Taiwan)
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Italian
  • German
  • Russian

If there is a language that you can translate for but isn't listed, please let us know and it can be added.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 09:20:26 AM

Brilliant. I would encourage contributors to help to cover character sets as well as languages. People from Iceland and Norway speak languages that are similar enough that one translation would be a good enough substitute for another, because they can still read each others script (and interpret or look up the meaning of any words that are totally different between the two). Character sets are more of a barrier than in that example: Arabic speakers just won't know how to read any Kanji at all, so getting translations for alternative (non-Western) character sets would be more effective way to reach more people.

Vires in numeris
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 07:28:18 PM

As you can see, I already started translating so feel free to add the website to the Transifex page as well (If possible).
I do have one question, though, what would the translation of the word "Armory" would be ? should I keep it written "Armory" or I should write it in the Arabic characters but keeping the same prononciation ? or I should give the real transaction of the word "Armory"? I know It seems like a bit confusing but just making sure I don't screw things up.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 07:48:22 PM

As you can see, I already started translating so feel free to add the website to the Transifex page as well (If possible).
I do have one question, though, what would the translation of the word "Armory" would be ? should I keep it written "Armory" or I should write it in the Arabic characters but keeping the same prononciation ? or I should give the real transaction of the word "Armory"? I know It seems like a bit confusing but just making sure I don't screw things up.
Since Armory is the name, I think it shouldn't be translated.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 07:16:41 AM

I started translating as I told you last time , now I came back to transifex and I found that 0 strings were translated (in the Arabic language) and there were more strings then before  Huh

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2016, 12:28:59 PM

I started translating as I told you last time , now I came back to transifex and I found that 0 strings were translated (in the Arabic language) and there were more strings then before  Huh
Yeah, I updated the strings resource. There were 549 initially. I wrapped all the GUI strings with the right function and regenerated the new resource file. It now has 1779 strings to translate.

knahrvorn

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 03:23:24 PM

Your translated strings should not go all the way back to 0, even though the English strings were updated, though. Not unless, by chance, ALL the strings you translated are among the ones that were changed, but that seems unlikely if you have translated more than just a few.

Either way, Transifex will remember your old translations, and if an English string has only changed a few words during an update, Transifex will suggest your old translation for you. See the "History" and "Suggestions" tabs below the translation text box.
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2016, 03:37:16 PM

Your translated strings should not go all the way back to 0, even though the English strings were updated, though. Not unless, by chance, ALL the strings you translated are among the ones that were changed, but that seems unlikely if you have translated more than just a few.

Either way, Transifex will remember your old translations, and if an English string has only changed a few words during an update, Transifex will suggest your old translation for you. See the "History" and "Suggestions" tabs below the translation text box.

The progress went to 0 because the contexts changed. So Transifex thought that each string was a different string when it actually wasn't. It does still remember those translations and the suggestions do have suggest the previous translations.

The only reason that the other languages had translations after that change was because I updated them myself. I had pulled down the old translations for any language that had over 5% translated and I just updated those with the new contexts and uploaded them back to the site. Unfortunately Arabic was not one of those languages.

knahrvorn

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 06:52:21 PM

The only reason that the other languages had translations after that change was because I updated them myself. I had pulled down the old translations for any language that had over 5% translated and I just updated those with the new contexts and uploaded them back to the site. Unfortunately Arabic was not one of those languages.

Ah ok, makes sense then, although your i18n system should probably only remove translations in cases where the actual string has changed. Different systems work differently, though, so it seems this one regards a string different if the "context" is different. Maybe this is also why there seems to be a lot of strings with equal content now. For instance I count ~35 strings containing just the word "Cancel"  Smiley
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2016, 07:08:49 PM

Ah ok, makes sense then, although your i18n system should probably only remove translations in cases where the actual string has changed. Different systems work differently, though, so it seems this one regards a string different if the "context" is different. Maybe this is also why there seems to be a lot of strings with equal content now. For instance I count ~35 strings containing just the word "Cancel"  Smiley
Yes, that is due to the context. The context is determined by the type of object that the string is displayed in, which is basically different for every dialog since every dialog is its own object.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 08:10:47 PM

I would encourage contributors to help to cover character sets as well as languages.

An issue I've thought of since then: the Armory soft-keyboard. It's not been any trouble to me, as I use the Western phonetic character set anyway, but it might improve Armory's worldwide appeal if the soft keyboard could handle alternatives. An argument could be made to permit use of multiple character sets for a single passphrase, as it would increase the size of the number domain, and hence add a little future proofing to passphrase security.

I can see that this would be a significant amount of perhaps unexciting work, but how does that trade off against worldwide appeal and passphrase security improvement?

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: