Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:57:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VGA cards in mineral oil, remove heatsink and fans or leave them on?  (Read 2847 times)
Milan77 (OP)

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 11:09:14 AM

As subject says...

_IF_   putting VGA cards in mineral oil, should I remove heatsink and fans or leave them on?

Please your opinion?
no name

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 11:14:01 AM

My guess is:
Heatsink leave and fans remove! Indeed, you need separate fans for cirulation oil fluid.
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 11:14:33 AM

Not sure how much the fans will help but I would leave the heatsink for sure.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Milan77 (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 11:41:31 AM

Yes, certain amount of circulation will be present, normally... but not from vga coolers then.

I asked because of GPU<-thermal paste->heatsink combination, will oil affect thermal paste, how to predict what will happen?
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 11:57:04 AM

Keep those heatsinks on! You need the surface area to dissipate to heat to the oil. The chip itself doesn't have nearly enough surface area to do this effectively. I'm not sure about the fans. They will probably help, but fail a lot faster due to the condition they are in. So it might be best to be prepared to run fanless, so see if you can keep those temperatures in check without any fans.

Good luck! Keep us updated on this project, it looks interesting Smiley

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Shermo

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 12:35:51 PM

I would guess something like the Arctic Accelero S1 would be pretty good for mineral oil cooling?
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 01:11:30 PM

Keep those heatsinks on! You need the surface area to dissipate to heat to the oil. The chip itself doesn't have nearly enough surface area to do this effectively.

I'm no physicist, but how does that statement make sense? The chip itself has enough surface area to transfer its heat to the heatsink attached to it, assuming that there's flow in the mineral oil, wouldn't logic say that no heatsink would work just as well assuming that the entire mass of mineral oil IS the heatsink?

I'm sure there's some math involved in the oil's ability to transfer heat, but in terms of current water cooling setups, water blocks are very, very small compared to air heatsinks because the liquid passing through them transfers the heat away.

Again, armchair physicist, but I think there might be some play in using no heatsinks on this one.
Milan77 (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:46:34 PM

I am considered that thermal compound will dissolve in oil making it unsuitable after a while.

I have 12 x 5970 cards that I am planning to strip to the bone and submerge in oil for the end of their lives.
They are EOL products anyhow... Mineral oil is my idea to keep them alive as long as I can. Up and running.
Only VGA will be in oil, other components above. Extenders are "a must".

Since I never did it before, dunno should I leave any cooling elements on them, or some better idea.

Thanks everyone this is really I hope to hear, very constructive ideas. Post yours, please.

eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 02:58:20 PM

To clarify... are you pumping mineral oil through a water-cooling system or simply submerging into a tub? If submerging, you need to leave the heatsinks on. Just think of the oil as very efficient air, you still need a heatsink. I've seen setups that leave the fans on as well, but the thickness of the oil would likely burn them out after a while, due to enhanced stress and slower spinning speeds.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/441587/building-a-mineral-oil-submersed-computer/

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:20:47 PM

Heatsinks: On!
Fans: On!

You need the heatsink for the surface area, as others have said, but you still need the fans for proper circulation. The fans will be running at a lower RPM due to the increased resistance (oil vs air), but they will actually last longer.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Milan77 (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 04:47:13 PM

Ok, I have heard ideas of very respectable community members, thanks mates.

Now, my idea of this setup is:
Cards with heatsinks on, vents and plastics off.
Vents will be present, but not stock ones, I will invest little money in hi-flow 220V 120x120x38 vents and hopefully, they will do it.
Cards will be submerged in mineral oil, case and pumps are going to be defined, radiator and vent for him also.
Cards will be popped in oil upside down, with pcie slots up, extenders going above to motherboard.

I have seen a lot of air resporators running in these cases, also doing good oil circulation, maybe they could replace vents in some case?
I think not... better to keep 120/38 vents...

In next few months will be done I hope.

Case material sould be:
1) Glass joined with silicone  (maybe could break in case of too hot oil?)
2) Big plastic tubs (plastic+oil+heat=?)
3) Metal tubs (not great idea, ergh...)

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 10:01:52 PM

I would advise against this, but hey, they're your video cards, and yours to destroy. Let me know how it works out and take pictures.

I for one would NEVER immerse ANYTHING in oil, as it destroys resale value. Sell it to an ebayer, ebayer receives oily video card, goes "What in the flying fuck? My video card is all wet. Plugging it in will probably short out the rest of my computer"

Anyways, good luck, I guess. Take pictures.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 10:04:16 PM

I would advise against this, but hey, they're your video cards, and yours to destroy. Let me know how it works out and take pictures.

I for one would NEVER immerse ANYTHING in oil, as it destroys resale value. Sell it to an ebayer, ebayer receives oily video card, goes "What in the flying fuck? My video card is all wet. Plugging it in will probably short out the rest of my computer"
Anyways, good luck, I guess. Take pictures.
Lol mineral oil isn't going to short out anything, and there is such a thing as cleaning your dripping-with-oil cards before you resell them.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Crystallas

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 11:34:59 PM

I have oil cooled a few systems. Not for mining, but it's as safe as possible. Mineral oil is one of the best supplies I have for restoring retro electronics because of it's ultra low conductivity and lubrication properties.

Logic says: Oh no, liquid bad for computer.
Science says: It's okay, chill.
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:32:15 AM

just make sure you have something to stop the wicking of oil going up the pcie extenders...i've read that oil likes to run up cords and such...also your gonna need some very good radiators/pumps to get the heat out of the oil as those 5970's are going to be pumping in the heat....good luck on your project

Ok, I have heard ideas of very respectable community members, thanks mates.

Now, my idea of this setup is:
Cards with heatsinks on, vents and plastics off.
Vents will be present, but not stock ones, I will invest little money in hi-flow 220V 120x120x38 vents and hopefully, they will do it.
Cards will be submerged in mineral oil, case and pumps are going to be defined, radiator and vent for him also.
Cards will be popped in oil upside down, with pcie slots up, extenders going above to motherboard.

I have seen a lot of air resporators running in these cases, also doing good oil circulation, maybe they could replace vents in some case?
I think not... better to keep 120/38 vents...

In next few months will be done I hope.

Case material sould be:
1) Glass joined with silicone  (maybe could break in case of too hot oil?)
2) Big plastic tubs (plastic+oil+heat=?)
3) Metal tubs (not great idea, ergh...)

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: