Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:36:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ios alt mining?  (Read 3901 times)
Todd604 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 04:23:05 AM

Can we mine on ipads?

I have two... that I could easily put to work when I sleep.

I currently only mine on my PC when it's on... using gate Minergate.

Sorry mods (if this is inappropriate)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pginvest

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 10:09:03 AM

i guess you'll burn them... better not even try

Am I spamming? Report me!
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 10:12:13 AM

Can we mine on ipads?

like pginvest said: i don't think you should even try... It would come as a big supprise to me if you ever made enough ALTcoins to be able to withdraw them, especially before your ipads are completely broken.

Same goes for CPU mining on your pc (for example, using minergate): there's a reasonable chance you'll ruin your pc, and the chance of your electricity bill being higher than the amount of coins you mine is allmost 100% (unless you have free power)
Todd604 (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 05:12:57 PM

Woah close call ty.

Are you sure about the miner gate app. when I turn down the CPU Cores to 6... my computer only runs at 80%.

I guess, I'm just breaking even or losing money because of power costs. but it still seems like I'm making coins, because I'm already on the computer.... so isn't more better then less?

Or is the powerdraw that much more.

anyways, thanks for the info with the ipads... wouldn't wanna fry those.

So is the best way to mine with an antminer, those are 1440 USD and 1600 USD, thats a big investment. Do Antminers mine, any mineable coin? Like FCN or ETC or ETH?
merelcoin

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 06:17:22 AM

Woah close call ty.

Are you sure about the miner gate app. when I turn down the CPU Cores to 6... my computer only runs at 80%.

I guess, I'm just breaking even or losing money because of power costs. but it still seems like I'm making coins, because I'm already on the computer.... so isn't more better then less?

Or is the powerdraw that much more.

anyways, thanks for the info with the ipads... wouldn't wanna fry those.

So is the best way to mine with an antminer, those are 1440 USD and 1600 USD, thats a big investment. Do Antminers mine, any mineable coin? Like FCN or ETC or ETH?

A lot of questions at once, i'll try to answer most of them Wink
1) There is a (very) measurable difference between a CPU running at 10% and a CPU running at 80%. I've measured this for myself, using my old desktop PC. The difference between the two was an extra power draw of 120W. Using an extra 120W 24/7 will make a measurable difference when your powerbill arives.

2) I have no figures of cpu usage vs longevity of the CPU, this being said: overheating will never be good for a CPU. I think the actual effect (wether or not you'll break your machine) will probably depend on a lot of factors, but personally, i wouldn't take the risk to make a couple of bucks (at very best)

3) using minergate, you'll probably mine some coins, no question about it... The thing is: most of these coins will be worth allmost nothing. For example 1000 BCN is worth less than 6 cents. Minergate has a minimal withdrawal amount. For some coins you'll need a couple thousand coins before you can even withdraw them, so you should look into this before you start mining.

4) If your pc has a decent graphics card, you might be able to mine some altcoins with said card, and if you're really lucky (if you have a good card and a good electricity price), you might even make a profit.

5) Antminers are a brand of ASIC, they're made for 1 hashing algorithm, and one algorithm only. with an antminer, you can mine coins that use the sha256 algo. This includes bitcoin, but also these coins: http://www.coinwarz.com/miningprofitability/sha-256

6) sites like coinwarz can be used to see if you can make a profit mining bitcoins. They allow you to make a basic calculation including your power costs, pool fee, hashing power, initial investment,... Do be carefull tough, they make a calculation at current difficulty and block reward. The block reward will stay the same for another ~4 years, but the diff might go up or down. Also, the cost of an antminer might be influenced by your country. My country charges huge customs fees to get stuff into the country, especially when it comes from china.
Todd604 (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 07:03:38 AM

Ty I'm learning more each day...

I now am interested in mining steem, i downloaded the blockchain today, and am trying to figure it out, but it's complicated to hook up the config.ini file properly.

Wish they had a gui program, like minergate for steem. I kinda wanna mine it if it's safe. I think my rig is probably only worth like 1200$ CDN these days, so whats the worse that could happen? I fry either a mother board or cpu right, that would only cost 200-400? I don't know.
Not mining, and hearing people mine is annoying, i feel like I'm missing out on the free $$.

That sha-256, was interesting, thats the ant miner 9 algorithm eh?  I can't afford one of those right now anyways, and won't an antminer 11? (they seem to skip the evens)
hit the market soon? I wonder when 9 was released. It's daunting to see some of the earlier ones, show up as not profitable, on https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/#/equipment
merelcoin

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 10:59:18 AM

Ty I'm learning more each day...

I now am interested in mining steem, i downloaded the blockchain today, and am trying to figure it out, but it's complicated to hook up the config.ini file properly.

Wish they had a gui program, like minergate for steem. I kinda wanna mine it if it's safe. I think my rig is probably only worth like 1200$ CDN these days, so whats the worse that could happen? I fry either a mother board or cpu right, that would only cost 200-400? I don't know.
Not mining, and hearing people mine is annoying, i feel like I'm missing out on the free $$.

That sha-256, was interesting, thats the ant miner 9 algorithm eh?  I can't afford one of those right now anyways, and won't an antminer 11? (they seem to skip the evens)
hit the market soon? I wonder when 9 was released. It's daunting to see some of the earlier ones, show up as not profitable, on https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/#/equipment

As long as you realise you might actually kill your laptop nad you'll probably pay more for power than you'll generate in coins, it's a nice learning experience Wink

TBH, the S9 hit the market like 2 months ago: https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=0002016052907243375530DcJIoK0654 so it'll probably take a long time before the next gen hits the market, but as always, there's no certainty.

Good luck Smiley
Fanger

Activity: 90

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:53:20 AM

Can we mine on ipads?

The only one I'm aware of is:

https://jsecoin.com/?utm_source=referral&utm_campaign=aff48248&utm_content=

Also provides a small bonus upon registration.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: