Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:26:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-08-18]Gregory Maxwell: “Vitalik Buterin Ran A Quantum Computer Scam”  (Read 887 times)
BTCBinary (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 12:50:26 PM

Gregory Maxwell: “Vitalik Buterin Ran A Quantum Computer Scam”

Being a public figure in the cryptocurrency world comes with prestige and personal attacks. Vitalik Buterin, the visionary of Ethereum development and coding genius, has been active in the world of technology for quite some time now. Before he even created Ethereum, however, he was working on building a computer program to solve NP-complete problems. Or as some people would like to call it, vaporware...

http://www.newsbtc.com/2016/08/17/gregory-maxwell-vitalik-buterin-ran-quantum-computer-scam/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 07:04:05 PM

Money quote from Maxwell:

“Vitalik’s project immediately before Ethereum is that he was collecting investments from people to fund building a computer program to solve NP-complete problems in polynomial time, supposedly by simulating a quantum computer. (Never mind that even real QC aren’t conjectured to be able to do that, nor does ‘simulation’ make any sense; unless BPP == BQP that’s not even possible, and virtually all experts agree the complexity classes are probably not equivalent). He built up a reputation for himself writing tech explainers of other people’s ideas usually without any attribution (until someone complains), making him look like the author.”

How in the living fuck do you 'simulate' quantum processing? I'm not an advanced maths kind of guy, but I've been following the tech surrounding Qbits and how rudimentary quantum machines are right now. Trying to encapsulate such a property in software seems like an impossibility without using actual quantum elements to do it. Maxwell has it covered, but this whole story makes me wonder if Vitalik is just an advanced huckster moving on to the next shiny bauble in search of money.

Ethereum is a train wreck, and aside from being infinitely exploitable, is now fractured between two camps and even its purported uses are up for debate. Especially after the "code is law, until we decide it isn't and hard-fork" debacle.

Steer clear of his projects, is all I can say.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 02:44:52 AM

How in the living fuck do you 'simulate' quantum processing?
Short answer: Very slowly. Long answer: Since the wave function of a quantum system is really just an ordinary mathematical function, it can be calculated by traditional methods. This is very useful for designing quantum computers and algorithms, but not useful at all for actually solving quantum-computable problems, due to the aforementioned slowness, which gets exponentially worse the more complex the simulated system is.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 04:34:00 PM

How in the living fuck do you 'simulate' quantum processing?
Short answer: Very slowly. Long answer: Since the wave function of a quantum system is really just an ordinary mathematical function, it can be calculated by traditional methods. This is very useful for designing quantum computers and algorithms, but not useful at all for actually solving quantum-computable problems, due to the aforementioned slowness, which gets exponentially worse the more complex the simulated system is.

So again, that is my question - how do you even think a viable quantum computing approach can be achieved in software? Its absurd, attacking NP problems in polynomial time? Get the fuck outta here.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 07:56:26 PM

That story doesn't say if the investors in Vitalik's quantum computer "scheme" were reimbursed when he dropped it, or if he permanently dropped it. If they didn't get their money back, and he promised a finished product but dropped the project, then he scammed them.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:23:46 AM

Its absurd, attacking NP problems in polynomial time?
Yes, it's absurd. That's what I just said using different words.

So again, that is my question - how do you even think a viable quantum computing approach can be achieved in software?
I don't think that. I was pointing out that simulated quantum computing is a real thing (contrary to your claim that it's impossible), and that it doesn't do what Vitalik says it does at all. I thought I was clear in my post exactly what it is and isn't a viable approach for.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: