Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:48:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recover access from wallet.dat  (Read 782 times)
woland (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 09:56:18 PM

Hello.

I have a wallet.dat backup. I want to restore access to the particular bitcoin address.
But the problem is this address is absent in this wallet.dat because backup of wallet.dat was made earlier then the address was created.

Can I recover access to the bitcoin adress having wallet.dat with other my addresses?
Is there a some kind of "master key" which can be used to recover access?

I tried pywallet to find out what I have. That is what I have in my wallet.dat (sensitive information is cut in "[]"):

Code:
The wallet is not encrypted
{
    "bestblock": "[...]",
    "ckey": [],
    "defaultkey": "[...]",
    "keys": [
        {
            "addr": "[bitcoin address]",
            "compressed": false,
            "hexsec": "[...]",
            "private": "[a lot of letters&numbers - several hundreds]",
            "pubkey": "[...]",
            "reserve": 1,
            "sec": "[...]",
            "secret": "[...]"
        },
        {
            "addr": "[bitcoin address]",
            "compressed": false,
            "hexsec": "[...]",
            "private": "[a lot of letters&numbers - several hundreds]",
            "pubkey": "[...]",
            "reserve": 1,
            "sec": "[...]",
            "secret": "[...]"
        },

... and so on
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2016, 10:01:44 PM

Unfortunately no, that address is now lost. Bitcoin Core currently randomly generates the addresses. It does not (yet) generate them deterministically. That means that old backups will not have any newly generated keys.

MyBTT

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 03:29:39 AM

Please tell me you didn't paste the wallet.dat into the text box and then edit it online...

No. Unless you have a HD wallet (You don't), your wallet will randomly generate keypairs into your wallet.dat. If you were to succesfully reclaim your bitcoin, that would be a private key collision. Something very very bad.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║