Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:38:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RX470 4GB Custom rom  (Read 10072 times)
brizio71 (OP)

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

Blockchain Just Entered The Real World

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 10:19:37 PM

Hello,
is it possible make a custom rom with RX470 4GB an done for RX480 8GB ?
thx

▄▄███████▄▄       ▐█     █▌         ██          ▐██████▄▄       ▐██████▄          ██         ▐█▄        █▌    ███████▌
 ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄     ▐█     █▌        █▌▐█         ▐█   ▀▀██▄     ▐█   ▀█▌        █▌▐█        ▐███▄      █▌       █▌   
▐██▌        ▐██▌    ▐█     █▌       ██  ██        ▐█      ▐█▌    ▐█   ▄█▌       ██  ██       ▐█ ▀██▄    █▌       █▌   
███          ███    ▐█     █▌      ██   ██       ▐█       ██    ▐██████▀       ██   ██      ▐█   ▀██▄   █▌       █▌   
▐██▌   ██▄   ▐██▌    ▐█     █▌     ██████████      ▐█      ▐█▌    ▐█▀██▄        ██████████     ▐█    ▀██▄ █▌       █▌   
 ▀███▄▄ ▀██▄ ▀█▀     ▐█▄   ▄█▌    ██       ██     ▐█   ▄▄██▀     ▐█  ▀██▄     ██       ██    ▐█      ▀███▌       █▌   
   ▀▀█████▀██▄        ▀██████▀    ██         ██    ▐██████▀▀       ▐█   ▀█▌   ██         ██   ▐█        ▀█▌       █▌   
           ▀▀▀

A Blueprint for Mapping Decentralized Data

Telegram             Twitter             Medium             LinkedIn
██
██
██
██
██

Data Stamping
Constellation Creation
Enriched data and services
██
██
██
██
██

With Quadrant, any form of

Data can be Authenticated.
Eliovp
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293

Huh?

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2016, 07:28:45 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2016, 07:50:17 AM by Eliovp

I'll see to go buy a 470 this weekend and getif there's one available Smiley

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 07:36:13 AM

I'll see to go buy a 470 this weekend and get one available Smiley

Nice thanks!
Eliovp
Legendary

Huh?

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2016, 07:49:57 AM

MM kind of misstyped there. "if there's one available"..

Just curious what i can do with those Smiley

dumada

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 07:55:42 AM

If you can get one to overclock the memory to 2200 MHz and tight timing, then the 470 will be as good as the 480.
Eliovp
Legendary

Huh?

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2016, 08:05:36 AM

If you can get one to overclock the memory to 2200 MHz and tight timing, then the 470 will be as good as the 480.

Who knows  Wink

Mzie

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 08:48:14 AM

how much power does it consume on overclock?
brizio71 (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 12:27:01 PM

Hello,
thx

Yes - mine is hashing ~27MH/s.

Can you please write a step-by-step procedure to have a custom rom ?

thx

▄▄███████▄▄       ▐█     █▌         ██          ▐██████▄▄       ▐██████▄          ██         ▐█▄        █▌    ███████▌
 ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄     ▐█     █▌        █▌▐█         ▐█   ▀▀██▄     ▐█   ▀█▌        █▌▐█        ▐███▄      █▌       █▌   
▐██▌        ▐██▌    ▐█     █▌       ██  ██        ▐█      ▐█▌    ▐█   ▄█▌       ██  ██       ▐█ ▀██▄    █▌       █▌   
███          ███    ▐█     █▌      ██   ██       ▐█       ██    ▐██████▀       ██   ██      ▐█   ▀██▄   █▌       █▌   
▐██▌   ██▄   ▐██▌    ▐█     █▌     ██████████      ▐█      ▐█▌    ▐█▀██▄        ██████████     ▐█    ▀██▄ █▌       █▌   
 ▀███▄▄ ▀██▄ ▀█▀     ▐█▄   ▄█▌    ██       ██     ▐█   ▄▄██▀     ▐█  ▀██▄     ██       ██    ▐█      ▀███▌       █▌   
   ▀▀█████▀██▄        ▀██████▀    ██         ██    ▐██████▀▀       ▐█   ▀█▌   ██         ██   ▐█        ▀█▌       █▌   
           ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██

Data Stamping
Constellation Creation
██
██
██
██
██

Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 01:43:45 PM

The best thing to do would be practice flash some older cards that have a dual bios switch.

Look up some guides on atiflash, boot into dos and run through the different commands. flash, backup etc and then you should be good to flash the newer cards without screwing them up

If you make a mistake then you can just flick the switch and youll be fine, re-read the guilds and try again.
brizio71 (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 02:32:42 PM

The best thing to do would be practice flash some older cards that have a dual bios switch.

Look up some guides on atiflash, boot into dos and run through the different commands. flash, backup etc and then you should be good to flash the newer cards without screwing them up

If you make a mistake then you can just flick the switch and youll be fine, re-read the guilds and try again.

I did with all my HD7970 cards, I would like to know the software to use for make a new bios and I have read in other post the signature problem, can I use the same procedure describe for RX480 card ?

▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██

Data Stamping
Constellation Creation
██
██
██
██
██

bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 08:44:07 PM

Hello,
thx

I made a custom rom for my Sapphire RX470 8Gb card.  I used the Polaris Bios editor tool.
It should work for any RX4.. card.
I changed the memory timings for the 2000 MHz strap to equal that of the next lower strap - and voila
the hash rate went from 23Mh/s to 25Mh/s just by that change alone.  I also lowered the core frequency
from 1260 to 1150 to save some power.   I will look at lowering voltages next ..
But the custom rom development is a pain here - Custom roms are done in Windows, then I have to reboot
into Linux to run miner tests...

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
sp_
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1087

Team Black developer

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 08:54:05 PM

You just need somebody to crack it without sideeffects. You can ask ppl here: http://www.pouet.net
Some of them have been doing this shit for 30 years...

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
Eliovp
Legendary

Huh?

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2016, 09:00:45 PM

Hello,
thx

I made a custom rom for my Sapphire RX470 8Gb card.  I used the Polaris Bios editor tool.
It should work for any RX4.. card.
I changed the memory timings for the 2000 MHz strap to equal that of the next lower strap - and voila
the hash rate went from 23Mh/s to 25Mh/s just by that change alone.  I also lowered the core frequency
from 1260 to 1150 to save some power.   I will look at lowering voltages next ..
But the custom rom development is a pain here - Custom roms are done in Windows, then I have to reboot
into Linux to run miner tests...

The voltage is another story, you can set each vid for each dpm manually, but you'll have the risk that the controller won't deliver enough power to operate decently.

That's why it's more interesting to tell the voltage controller to start at a lower voltage offset.
in a lot of cases you can do this by modifying the vddc offset in the rom, but with these rx's, there is no voltage offset in the rom, you can add this though, but that's more than opening a tool and changing some numbers  Wink

Working on one for the 480's though Smiley

Going for minimal power and maximum hash!

sp_
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1087

Team Black developer

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 10:51:28 PM

It's been done, but then you need to also disable driver sig enforcement.

That's not a proper crack.

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 11:31:36 PM

I prefer to drop the core clock such that she mines at 25MH/s - wall draw with one card is ~175W, system idle draw is ~50W - 55W, so I estimate ~120W - 125W.

That doesn't accurately reflect the card power usage for two reasons:
1) It uses power even at idle (I've measued a difference of over 10W for some GPUs at idle vs running off the iGPU)
2) PSUs are very inefficient (often <75%) below 10% load.

The best way to do it is to measure marginal power increase from adding a 2nd card.  If your system uses 175W mining with one card, I would bet it will use around 325 with 2 cards (i.e. 1 card uses about 150W).
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 11:34:23 PM

But with 32 instead of 36 compute units, you won't be able to underclock it as much.
Q_R_V

Activity: 428

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 12:19:35 AM

But with 32 instead of 36 compute units, you won't be able to underclock it as much.
True, but price is lower and because there is 32 CUs they will produce almost the same amount of heat as lower clocked 36 CUs (based on comparison between 380 and 380x)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 05:43:09 AM

I prefer to drop the core clock such that she mines at 25MH/s - wall draw with one card is ~175W, system idle draw is ~50W - 55W, so I estimate ~120W - 125W.

1) It uses power even at idle (I've measued a difference of over 10W for some GPUs at idle vs running off the iGPU)

The best way to do it is to measure marginal power increase from adding a 2nd card.  If your system uses 175W mining with one card, I would bet it will use around 325 with 2 cards (i.e. 1 card uses about 150W).

even this way it's not perfect, the overall load for the system(not gpu) will increase if you add more gpu, but still better than the other method yes
dumada

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 08:19:54 AM

The best way to do it is to measure marginal power increase from adding a 2nd card.  If your system uses 175W mining with one card, I would bet it will use around 325 with 2 cards (i.e. 1 card uses about 150W).

even this way it's not perfect, the overall load for the system(not gpu) will increase if you add more gpu, but still better than the other method yes

I agree with that. Also the environment temperature and ventilation is very important. For my system, if the environmnet is low, the power consumption is 1020. If the env temp is 4 C higher, the power consumption is 1050.
brizio71 (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 12:55:06 PM

which is the difference between use a modded bios or use wattman in order to optimize the gpu ?

▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██

Data Stamping
Constellation Creation
██