Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 03:23:32 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumb Question : If I found a security flaw with a major bitcoin company ..  (Read 7283 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:15:58 PM

No Reply to the first or second attempt. 

There is no issue if you disclose their name publicly. They could be pointed to this thread, or contacted by other means and people, if we know who they are.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:16:46 PM

Fuck the law, if you live in another country just grab the damn coins!
Wow, you definitely make it on to my "do not trust, ever" list.
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:18:50 PM

I also felt the urge to give that ignore button a go, dispicable.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:20:19 PM

There is no issue if you disclose their name publicly. They could be pointed to this thread, or contacted by other means and people, if we know who they are.

If the flaw is truly boneheaded, disclosing the name might be risky.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:25:17 PM

Indeed.

1.  I will not steal or publish the results.   

I had a few hundred coins stolen from me 2 years ago,  at today's prices it would be $20,946.88
I do not wish that to happen to anyone ever.

2.  I attempted for a second time to inform the company,  no response yet.  When it comes in I will let you guys know what I found and how the exploit happened... that's after giving the owners time to correct the problem.

I got blasted via private message on bitcointalk for not publishing the exploit and stealing coins.

I hope that a few years from now if I was on the other side of the table people would handle it like this rather than freaking stealing coins.   If people were Honourable they would reward this type of behaviour rather than sending private messages like that... 

Remember a few years back I called you because your site dropped off the internet and i wanted to see if you were okay?

Well, now I know. You're okay.  Cool

Insu Dra

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:27:20 PM

If they keep ignoring you there is only one way, give them a ultimatum.

Tell them to fix the problem within a set time frame if they don't respond or fix the problem you will share the info with the public. Put this ultimatum up in a public place, name them and wait for response ...

if they don't fix it or ignore you disclose the info. If they sew you have the right to inform people about possible threads to there well being. (unless you had to break it to there systems to get the info)

speaking from experience it usually doesn't get that far Wink

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:28:14 PM

The flaw is idiot level.  It's something that I assume was explored,  methods against it were conceived and mostly implemented and someone forgot to upload it.

It had to have been something like that.

Good news though we're talking about at most a hundred coins..  Not thousands

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:29:31 PM

The flaw is idiot level.  It's something that I assume was explored,  methods against it were conceived and mostly implemented and someone forgot to upload it.

Hmm.. Not responding to emails, only holds a hundred coins... sounds like a bitgem ripoff site or gambling site to me.

the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:33:20 PM

Hmm.. Not responding to emails, only holds a hundred coins... sounds like a bitgem ripoff site or gambling site to me.

Trust me it's a widely used service,  but the exploit only shows a limited number of coins...  there's an easy fix to this.   

This is not a problem that would destabilize bitcoin... it's the type of flaw that could get media writing though.. which is what I am trying to prevent.

Bitcoin has a 850 million dollar economy,  we're talking about at most a few thousand dollars worth of exploit...  it's something that should be fixed... but it's not something crazy like millions of dollars.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:33:36 PM

One thing is exploiting flaws in computer systems, another thing is exploiting social trust of people. I never exploited trading or other forms of commerce where some degree of trust is essential. In long run it will make some forms of e-trade impossible and will hurt my goals in long term. Contrary exploiting flaws in computer security improves overall security in long term. Without such activities internet would be insecure, censored and boring place. But I used social engineering to get payload into losers computers or phish passwords. But this is more technical than exploiting pure trust. Everyone with slight knowledge will notice wrong URL or different checksums.

I will give OP idea - if trying to crash market, announce here that it is MtGox and post receiving address here and say you will transfer there n amount of coins from MtGox. Then transfer coins from your MtGox account to the address afterwards. No exploit involved but many would believe in that and start sell sell sell

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966

Keep it real

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:34:41 PM

Sounds like it's not a major bitcoin company...
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:35:02 PM

One thing is exploiting flaws in computer systems, another thing is exploiting social trust of people. I never exploited trading or other forms of commerce where some degree of trust is essential. In long run it will make some forms of e-trade impossible and will hurt my goals in long term. Contrary exploiting flaws in computer security improves overall security in long term. Without such activities internet would be insecure, censored and boring place. But I used social engineering to get payload into losers computers or phish passwords. But this is more technical than exploiting pure trust. Everyone will slight knowledge will notice wrong URL or different checksums.

I will give OP idea - if trying to crash market, announce here that it it MtGox and post receiving address here and say you will transfer there n amount of coins from MtGox. Then transfer coins from your MtGox account to the address afterwards. No exploit involved but many would believe in that and start sell sell sell

IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A FLAW TO CRASH ANY MARKET! 

It's a major bitcoin company... but the exploit isn't freaking stealing their whole wallet, just some people that utilize it.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:36:15 PM

How does a bitcoin business manage to amass hundreds of coins with an obvious flaw in their system? Does not compute!

@the founder disclose the name please, or PM a bitcointalk staff member that can assist you further.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:36:50 PM

Send them an email, tell them that you will take the coins so they are safe and no one else steal them (if someone else steal the coins, you'll be on the hook for it since you contacted them)
Grab the coins and email them and telling them you did it to prevent a not so honest person do the same..

I'm sure when they see the issue, they'll understand.

What about taking the coins then sending them to a known address of the company or company's owner. That might work.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:39:54 PM

I remember one guy who discovered flaw in university system, notified about it the responsible persons and got kicked out afterwards. If he would not be such white knight on donkey and instead anonymously vandalized the database and then leaked it on piratebay, no one would know who did it.

It really was bad idea to contact the owners about exploit.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:41:08 PM

Sounds like it's not a major bitcoin company...

Seems so...

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:41:45 PM

Send them an email, tell them that you will take the coins so they are safe and no one else steal them (if someone else steal the coins, you'll be on the hook for it since you contacted them)
Grab the coins and email them and telling them you did it to prevent a not so honest person do the same..

I'm sure when they see the issue, they'll understand.

Like noticing someone dropped their wallet, picking it up and handing it back to them?
Energizer

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:42:05 PM

Do not publish the bug. And do not exploit it. Keep trying to reach them. Usually it takes some time for your email to reach the right person within the company. Do not rush and do not take any action to be blamed about in the future.
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:44:11 PM

THEY RESPONDED

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 06:46:13 PM

THEY RESPONDED

Lol, so you were trolling.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: