Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:56:37 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core has stopped syncing at 2 years and 17 weeks behind.  (Read 454 times)
wajj7 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 06:55:37 PM

I am new to all of this and don't know how to handle this problem. I tried to send $100 from circle to bitcoin core, but the bitcoin core wallet stops syncing, I think that is what it is doing, at around 2 years behind and there is nothing I can do. I have left my computer on for weeks like this.

I tried to import the wallet file to blockchain, but when I drug the file over the box indicated for import, nothing happened.

Any help would be appreciated.  Undecided
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 07:52:14 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2016, 08:13:50 PM by franky1

in bitcoin core go to the command line
help > debug window > console tab

and type in
dumpprivkey <yourbitcoinaddress>
where <bitcoinaddress> is the address you send the funds to. dont type in <>, just type the address you want the key to.

you will get the private key of the bitcoin address you send the funds to, and you can copy that private key into another bitcoin program/service to then move those funds once that program/service has the key.

note for later:
before doing anything else to fix/reinstall/change bitcoin core.
get all your private keys the way mentioned above.
also make a backup of the wallet using different methods
EG
going to your directory and copying the file
within bitcoin core go to file -> backupwallet
from the command line
dumpwallet <filename>
where <filename> is the name of the file you want to call it. dont type in <>, just type the file name,
you will get a file with human readable results in text format showing the privatekeys and corresponding labels and bitcoin addresses of all addresses in your wallet

ofcourse read it and double check you havnt missed anything

i say backing it up in the 3 ways. because one way may fail if your computer is having issues and the worse thing you can ever do is realise that one has failed when you try to use it after deleting the original. and that is the only copy you have and doesnt work

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 08:24:56 PM

I am new to all of this and don't know how to handle this problem. I tried to send $100 from circle to bitcoin core, but the bitcoin core wallet stops syncing.

what is the version of Bitcoin Core ?
wajj7 (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 10:03:46 PM

Franky1, I am sorry, I am really new to all of this. It is like trying to learn a foreign language within a week. I am confused about this part specifically:

and type in
where <bitcoinaddress> is the address you send the funds to. dont type in <>, just type the address you want the key to.

So I type in dumpprivkey and then what address. I simply received an address from Bitcoin Core and copied it and pasted it for Circle to send the funds. I see several address' on Blockchain transaction information. I also see green and red arrows. I have no idea what address I would need for what you are trying to instruct me to do?

As far as the version of Bitcoin Core I am using, I am usure. I just downloaded it a couple of weeks ago, so I would imagine it is the latest version?

Thanks for any help or support you can offer to further guide me. I really appreciate it, it is so frustrating to know so little about all of this. Starting to give up hope on ever seeing the funds I sent.
wajj7 (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 10:15:10 PM

Franky,

I tried what you explained using the address I thought the funds were being sent to. I received this message:

Private key for address (address was here) is not known (code -4)
wajj7 (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 10:47:26 PM

I tried another address that I could see on the transaction information screen and I did get a private key. I hope this is the write one? I have never sent anything before, so it should be.

Now, how do I import this into another wallet?

I don't understand the what you were saying about the backup wallet and...?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 11:04:50 PM

Franky1, I am sorry, I am really new to all of this. It is like trying to learn a foreign language within a week. I am confused about this part specifically:

and type in

So I type in dumpprivkey and then what address. I simply received an address from Bitcoin Core and copied it and pasted it for Circle to send the funds. I see several address' on Blockchain transaction information. I also see green and red arrows. I have no idea what address I would need for what you are trying to instruct me to do?

the address you used in what you described.. the one you copy and pasted to use with circle.
if you dont know which one it is because you have done other transactions.
you can probably go to circle and look at their transaction history and see where the funds went to, to remind you which address it was

or you could look at the bitcoin core transaction history if you remember the amount and see the address that received that amount. or look by date if you can remember when you done that transaction..

the other option is just to do the bits i said in 'note for later' where you can get all privkeys of all addresses you own and just move everything, rather than just a single value from a single address

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: