Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:52:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Masking Miner Activity  (Read 756 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:57:16 PM

Would it be possible to have a script that connects through different proxies *each time* your ASIC were to ask for new work, and thus make the network think that you were different miners all with the same hashing speed?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:28:35 PM

Sure.  And if you can find a pool that pays based on work requested rather than work completed, PM me.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:36:20 PM

Sure.  And if you can find a pool that pays based on work requested rather than work completed, PM me.

I didn't mean to sound like the miner wouldn't be doing any work, but I wasn't aware it needed to be connected while doing the work other than to *submit* the actual work once a share/block was found. I don't understand the process completely is why I'm asking.

I have this picture in my head of a miner asking for work, switching to another IP address, submitting that work, rinsing, repeating, and masking the fact that it's a single ASIC. Would that work?

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:08:33 PM

Maybe you'd be better off just explaining what you want to do.

No one anywhere is going to get confused about your hashing speed.  No one counts work requests as speed, they count work returned.

The getwork protocol doesn't care about IPs, but the tracking database might, so your work may or may not be accepted at all, depending on the server you are talking to.  Stratum uses a persistent connection, and I don't know the protocol in enough detail to know whether or not it will accept (on the protocol level) work on one connection that was given out on a different connection.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:16:28 PM

Maybe you'd be better off just explaining what you want to do.

No one anywhere is going to get confused about your hashing speed.  No one counts work requests as speed, they count work returned.

The getwork protocol doesn't care about IPs, but the tracking database might, so your work may or may not be accepted at all, depending on the server you are talking to.  Stratum uses a persistent connection, and I don't know the protocol in enough detail to know whether or not it will accept (on the protocol level) work on one connection that was given out on a different connection.

To clarify, it's not something I want to do, it's something I suspect could be done by ASIC developers (mining before shipping). When I go to blockchain.info, it shows a pie chart showing the dissection of mining pools and their hashing speed. When a new block is found, it shows that IP with a label for which pool it came from. This is why I ask-- couldn't someone just change their IP everytiume they submitted to make it look like they were multiple individuals and not the same miner/pool?

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:21:55 PM

Would it be possible to have a script that connects through different proxies *each time* your ASIC were to ask for new work, and thus make the network think that you were different miners all with the same hashing speed?

Is this about pools or solo? Cause the blockchain doesn't save the ip of the block finder, so your already masked in the respect.

Basically I'm trying to see if it'd be possible for someone like BFL to be mining right now with their ASICs and us not know about it, because instead of consistently mining blocks, they'd be jumping around to different IPs to make it look like different computers doing small amounts of work.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:27:24 PM

To clarify, it's not something I want to do, it's something I suspect could be done by ASIC developers (mining before shipping). When I go to blockchain.info, it shows a pie chart showing the dissection of mining pools and their hashing speed. When a new block is found, it shows that IP with a label for which pool it came from. This is why I ask-- couldn't someone just change their IP everytiume they submitted to make it look like they were multiple individuals and not the same miner/pool?

The IP address you're referring to is the IP address of the node that first relayed the block. It is possible that someone with a better connection may appear as a large ''miner'' if he relays a block created by the actual miner.

There was a bit of ''panicking'' a while back over this.

Signature space available for rent.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:28:51 PM

The IP address you're referring to is the IP address of the node that first relayed the block. It is possible that someone with a better connection may appear as a large ''miner'' if he relays a block created by the actual miner.

There was a bit of ''panicking'' a while back over this.

Oh that's hilarious. I wasn't here during that time and missed that one. Thank you. So blockchain.info's chart for network hashing division is based on relayed blocks then?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: