Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:17:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] TorBroker - Fund your account in Bitcoin, trade >1000 real stocks and ETFs  (Read 58363 times)
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 06:36:07 PM

I'm sure it would be trivial to discover the owner by making signature investments on certain scales and identifying the pattern on an exchange.

+1

I was also curious about dividends.

That would be ideal:  a [non-anonymous, sorry TorBroker] service that allowed me to
  • deposit bitcoins
  • trade US securities
  • receive dividend payments, instantly converted to bitcoins, and credited to a bitcoin balance
  • withdraw bitcoins

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 06:42:30 PM

I'm sure it would be trivial to discover the owner by making signature investments on certain scales and identifying the pattern on an exchange.
Yeah. But then you need to assume that they are stupid and so when you say them "buy 1264 shares of ABC and 1734 of DEF" (where ABC and DEF are a rarely traded assets), they are actually buying the exact amount of both of them... which they should not, if they are smart and don't want to get busted.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 06:48:34 PM

Yeah. But then you need to assume that they are stupid and so when you say them "buy 1264 shares of ABC and 1734 of DEF" (where ABC and DEF are a rarely traded assets), they are actually buying the exact amount of both of them... which they should not, if they are smart and don't want to get busted.

It is tough to do real-time trading and avoid that problem.

piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 06:56:24 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2013, 07:09:16 PM by piotr_n

It is tough to do real-time trading and avoid that problem.
Well if you have 1% commission in + 1% out, you have about 2% of "space" to modify the order volumes, while statistically you should break even anyway, despite of the provision, just by choosing the direction up/down randomly.
And the more the service gets popular, the more the volumes add up, the harder it is for anyone to match them with a single account requests.
But that is also why I don't think they will ever switch to an actual real-time trading - it must always be somehow delayed, in order to combine requests from different accounts.

Another trick you could use is to spread the requests among different brokerage accounts.

These are just ideas from the top of my head, but I'm sure if I had built such a service, I'd probably have more security related countermeasures in my head.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
TorBroker (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 02:42:14 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2013, 02:31:12 AM by TorBroker

Problem #1:  impossible to prove this is not a scam, besides actual service testing and observing the results.
Yes, we've been thinking hard about how to overcome this. Our first approach was to contact high profile Bitcoin community members and ask them to hold a bond, but unfortunately no one were willing to hold it.

We're working to introduce leveraged trading soon. If we offer you X times leverage, then you can essentially trust us with an amount of funds equal to 1/X and still get the same exposure in the markets as now.

Problem #2:  US capital gains tax liability, which the operators presumably must pay

Problem #3:  Bitcoin income/exchange tax liability, and other regulatory risk.  Move any significant amount of money into TorBroker, and it is noticable that you are suddenly appearing at your brokerage's doorstep with USD cash from already-watched bitcoin exchange sources.
We answered that here: "Our accounts are in jurisdictions with no capital gains taxes, so we can pass on the full profit to our customers." The income/exchange tax is also not an issue in our jurisdictions.

We should probably feature our answer somewhere more prominent, because it gets asked a lot.

I was also curious about dividends.
Dividends are currently added to your balance when you sell the security. Unlike capital gains, some US dividends are taxable no matter the jurisdiction you're trading from, and we will subtract the taxes we pay before paying out to you. Stay tuned for the details about this.

We are aware of this potential pattern recognition problem and think we have it solved. We can't go into details, but essentially there is a lot you can do to add randomness across multiple accounts.

Also, we're primarily staying under the radar to avoid political pressure to pass new regulation. To the best of our knowledge, passing on gains from securities trading with no legal ownership of securities given to our customers does currently not require a license in our jurisdictions.
TorBroker (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 06:25:31 AM

Dividends are currently added to your balance when you sell the security. Unlike capital gains, some US dividends are taxable no matter the jurisdiction you're trading from, and we will subtract the taxes we pay before paying out to you. Stay tuned for the details about this.
A 15% dividend tax applies to US stocks. ADRs representing companies in other countries may be subject to dividend taxes of their local jurisdictions as well - we recommend you investigate the rate for the jurisdiction of the specific company you want to buy. Dividend taxes are subtracted before we receive the dividends in our accounts. Whatever amount we receive we simply add to your TorBroker USD balance.
TorBroker (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 04:09:07 PM

We've set up www.torbroker.info to promote the service to people not yet familiar with Tor. Let us know what you think!
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 06:44:20 PM

We've set up www.torbroker.info to promote the service to people not yet familiar with Tor. Let us know what you think!

I apologize for having to ask this, but,

Please remove "BitPay" mention if you would, any comments I make are my personal opinion, and not an official company endorsement.

TorBroker (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 03:52:22 PM

I apologize for having to ask this, but,

Please remove "BitPay" mention if you would, any comments I make are my personal opinion, and not an official company endorsement.
We didn't intend for it to look like a company statement but rather just information about who you happen to be. We've removed it now. Looks OK?
TorBroker (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:51:21 AM

TorBroker is currently experiencing downtime regularly. We will soon be upgrading our infrastructure which should eliminate these outages. Sorry for the inconvenience.
TorBroker (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 06:48:59 PM

TorBroker is running much better yet again, thanks for your patience. Stay tuned for some exciting updates to come.
jaminunit

Activity: 132
Merit: 14

Co-Founder of TheStandard.io & Vaultoro.com

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 04:27:06 AM

This is so fucking epic! Well done guys

I've been a Bitcoiner since 2010, and currently working on TheStandard.io, a next-generation stablecoin, and lending protocol.
The Standard Protocol Announcement thread
lindatess

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:42:52 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 06:53:01 AM by lindatess

If you can't reveal your company name, then how is your firm going to deal with a huge capital gains tax?

Are you trading as an individual or an entity?

If you are withholding the tax, are you guys doing some form of tax arbitrage? How do you intend to make a profit?

----
If I'm trading from Australia, as a foreigner I can't get dividends, but if I trade with you, do I get the dividend?

For a normal foreign investor there is no point collecting the dividend or not because they can't claim any tax offsets (e.g. franking credits)... However, TorBroker may be able to claim it and benefit, but don't know the insides of the U.S. tax system.

I already sell and then buy back my US shares on interactivebrokers each time there is a dividend.

TorBroker (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 04:48:46 PM

If you can't reveal your company name, then how is your firm going to deal with a huge capital gains tax?

Are you trading as an individual or an entity?

If you are withholding the tax, are you guys doing some form of tax arbitrage? How do you intend to make a profit?

----
If I'm trading from Australia, as a foreigner I can't get dividends, but if I trade with you, do I get the dividend?

For a normal foreign investor there is no point collecting the dividend or not because they can't claim any tax offsets (e.g. franking credits)... However, TorBroker may be able to claim it and benefit, but don't know the insides of the U.S. tax system.

I already sell and then buy back my US shares on interactivebrokers each time there is a dividend.
TorBroker operates from jurisdictions with no capital gains tax.

Dividends are currently added to your balance when you sell the security. A 15% dividend tax applies to US stocks. ADRs representing companies in other countries may be subject to dividend taxes of their local jurisdictions as well - we recommend you investigate the rate for the jurisdiction of the specific company you want to buy. Dividend taxes are subtracted before we receive the dividends in our accounts. Whatever amount we receive we simply add to your TorBroker USD balance.
TorBroker (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 03:56:11 PM

Happy New Year!

We are still working to introduce exciting new features to TorBroker. Expect to see live trading, margin trading, and a better portfolio interface in the coming months.

If you don't have the TorBrowser, you can now also access the website in your regular browser through: https://torbrokerge7zxgq.onion.lu
However, please note that this requires some trust in the owner of the onion.lu proxy as he can snoop your login credentials.

Also, we've decided to keep the $5 minimum trade commission for the entirety of 2014.

May 2014 be the year of financial freedom and prosperity!

TorBroker
leancuisine

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 09:29:40 PM

Is it just me or can I not access both the Tor and non-Tor based versions of the site anymore? Just worried about my investment there, to say the least...

naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 09:31:00 PM

Is it considered as gambling?
leancuisine

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 03:19:27 PM

Is it considered as gambling?
Trading stocks could be called as a risky investment, or better yet a gamble. Wink

EDIT: The website is also up now. Tongue

only

Activity: 706
Merit: 500

Dutyfree.io – defying tobacco taxes since 2009.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 05:07:54 PM

Is this still working? Can't see any securities in the list.

TorBroker (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 05:15:20 PM

Is this still working? Can't see any securities in the list.
Absolutely. Are you sure Javascript is enabled in your browser?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: