Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:58:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I made a giant, overpriced mining rig  (Read 7816 times)
TCollar (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:16:42 PM

cooling solution is a colocation facility. 

66F to 68F 24/7.

Tea, Towels, Vogons etc.

Activity: 20

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:58:37 PM

But still, the promise of my virtual ASIC chip, as improbable as it is, is still about the same delivery rate as the real ASIC chip makers are doing. 

Hmmm. BTW, what do you think this is?

https://i.imgur.com/oEIjyj8.jpg

Besides boxes of fans and blue lights of course

DROOOOOOOOOL! let me play!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 04:39:32 PM

cooling solution is a colocation facility. 

66F to 68F 24/7.

What you're paying for the colo?

My rigs are a cluster of 4 nodes each and one embedded *BSD licensed controller of my own design.  Each one has 8 8 core cpus, 512GB of RAM and 12 GPU cards with logging and storage done in an encrypted VIA Mini ITX controlling a storage array (so an error won't crash the system by filling up system disks).  The other rig is exactly the same, located in a different location with the same colo company and has hot failover capability with the other machine using something Linux HA heartbeat.  So if one rig fails it takes over the tasks of the other rig as its virtual instances switch tasks (why I needed so much RAM).

You better put those "beasts" at work and minimize the losses, here http://www.openstack.org/software/, or just mine some litecoins at the same time http://litecoin.org

If I were in your shoes, I would be more than pissed with the whole thing.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:06:37 PM

It looks like a shelf of ASIC rigs,  Probably from Avalon.

Easy to buy those Avalons, aren't they?  ASIC chip production is just increasing exponentially with the demand huh?  

About as easy to buy as an Absurdocluster of OverpriChips and a bunch of FAIL safes. But way cheaper.
TCollar (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:15:10 PM

Got a bargain on the colo (managed too) since my employer is a good customer of theirs I got setup for a BBQ and beer for the staff who did it next time I am around and I pay about $200.00 per month for both locations.

As far as being pissed goes, It may be a money pit but it is working better than I though.  If the price drops below $20 then I will be pulling my hair out (or what hair I have) .

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:26:58 PM

If the price drops below $20 then I will be pulling my hair out (or what hair I have).

Why?  If the exchange rate falls to $20 (or difficulty increases by a factor of 10) why not just imagine up a higher hashrate and make even more "profit"?  I think you could install a couple of quantum doublers and vortex fans and get those "rigs" up to 500 GH/s each pretty easy.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:40:30 PM

I hate you.

Quote from: DeathAndTaxes
I think you could install a couple of quantum doublers and vortex fans and get those "rigs" up to 500 GH/s each pretty easy.

But I love you.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: