Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:39:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum GPU Mining Optimisations for Pools  (Read 6564 times)
thevictimofuktyranny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 07:27:11 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2017, 04:02:17 PM by thevictimofuktyranny

Many GPUs rig owners have been reporting getting 10%-25% less shares or payouts for mining Dagger (Ethereum) at the pools, when compared to the mining calculators. I decided more than 2 weeks ago to research this topic for the benefit of the GPU rig owners' community.

For these benchmarks – I will be using:

Claymore Dual Miner 6.2 Windows and Linux:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.0

Modified Titan Nvidia Drivers, to be used for 1070s and 980s:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B69wv2iqszefQVRfOEhWS0FCdUE
These drivers are no longer recommended, as they can cause the PC to crash on restarts - switch to latest drivers

Latest AMD Drivers:
Crimson Edition 16.8.2 Hotfix

Windows 7 64Bit

-----------------------------Aimed to remove all causes of lost shares at pools------------------

Test settings and Hardware setups:

AMD RIG
1) Phenom 555 dual core processer, 1 core disabled and overclocked to 3.5Ghz.
2) Asus Crosshair Formula IV motherboard
3) Antec PSU 850watts
4) 8GB DDR3 running at 1066mhz (faulty memory controller on Phenom and can only run memory at the lower speed).

INTEL RIG
1) Sandybridge 2500K Quad, 2 cores disabled and set to 3.3Ghz
2) MSI Z77A-GD65
3) EVGA PSU 600watts
4) 8GB DDR3 running at 1600mhz (memory speed does not really matter with this processer)

Firstly, running the CPU at 3.5Ghz and 3.3Ghz does result in more shares (4% more then when power saving modes for Intel and AMD) accepted per hour, when dualmining or solo mining at a pool, but above 3.5Ghz there are no extra shares found per hour. By disabling 1 core and 2 cores in the motherboard bios, you can bring the electricity usage back down to an acceptable level.

Window 7 OS - Special settings:
1) Aero graphics disabled and put into High Contrast Black.
2) "Desktop Manager" disabled via "Services". It is debatable as to whether this good for long term OS stability, but helps in benchmarking.
3) “Superfetch” disabled via “Services”; "Superfetch" destroys SSDs performance figures over time.
4) AMD Hotfix patch for FX CPU installed for the Phenom CPU

AMD GPUs

1) earliest iteration of R9 290 (ASUS) - overclocked to 1100mhz and memory 1300mhz. Powerlimit 20% Sweet Spot for Mining ETH and SC.

*Powerlimit above or below 20% produce less shares accepted per hour.
*Can be overclocked to 1150mhz with 50mvolts, but produces less shares per hour, then when no extra voltage is added for solo mining.
*Dual mining can be overclocked 1130mhz with 50mvolts, but produces less shares per hour, then when no extra voltage is added for dual mining.

This GPU does not like extra volts and will hash lower when overvolted and when undervolted.

2) XFX Radeon R7 370 2GB Double Dissipation - overclocked too 1180mhz and memory overclocked too 1500mhz, Powerlimit 20% Sweet Spot for Mining ETH and SC.

No options on MSI Afterburner to change Powerlimit above 20% or add extra mvolts.

Nvidia GPUs

Go to Nvidia Panel - Scroll down to "Power Management Mode" and change to "Prefer Maximum Performance" and click "apply". The default "optimal" setting attempts to save a few watts, but causes rejected shares in dual mining mode. Updated 31.08.16.

A matched pair MSI GTX 1070 8GB Aero OC Edition Graphics Card.

1) Fans set to 90%.
2) It is recommended: you go into "Device Manager" and disable all Nvidia HDMI drivers

Currently, these MSI card shipped with Micron memory modules, however this is a lottery because manufacturers ship the same cards with either Micron or Samsung memory. Bios updates have been released for Micron Nvidia cards by Palit, Gainward and EVGA cards, but MSI is still working on bios update release.

More info here:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/manufacturers-roll-out-firmware-updates-for-geforce-gtx-1070-due-to-memory-issue.html

Interesting Discovery 1:

When the 1070’s were put onto AMD RIG, they found more than 11% (can be as high as 20%) less ETH shares per hour then when they were on the INTEL RIG.

When AMD GPUs were place into the INTEL RIG, they found 8.5% less shares ETH per hour than when they were in the AMD RIG.

Yelp, Nvidia Compute is being primarily coded for INTEL RIGS and AMD openCL is primarily being coded for AMD RIGS. Not having the right Chipset/CPU combination on the RIG for your GPUs is going to lose you a lot of ETH shares per hour at the pool.

---------------------------------Claymore Dual Miner Fees----------------------------------------------

3% better hash-rate then public releases.

Fees paid to Claymore:

1% for solo pool mining ETH.
2% for dual mining ETH and SC or ETH and DECRED.

Consequently, you won’t actually notice the fees, when mining at a pool, because the Dualminer is 3% faster for solo mining ETH at the pools.

Special Setting for AMD GPUs – set all GPUs to slow mode or “-etha 1” in the bat.

Benchmark Dual Mining ETH and SC versus Solo Mining for AMD GPUs 200 and 300 series.

Dual Mining ETH and SC sweet spot setting is: -dcri 22

Solo mining ETH is less efficient then dual mining ETH and SC, efficiency of shares found per hour is better by 2.5%.

Yes, you read that correctly everybody - dual mining ETH and SC gets you more ETH at the pool, than solo mining ETH by itself.

Why would this be the case: these GPUs were built for gaming loads - give the GPUs the correct load and you get more efficiency and more ETH at pool.

Above a setting of -dcri 22 for dual mining - you lose a lot of ETH at the pool.

Setting -dcri 40, reduction in ETH hashrate is 8%.

However, there is 14.6% drop in shares found per hour at the pool.

Net disadvantage of this higher SC setting is: -6.6% compared to the reduction in ETH hashrate.  

Therefore, not really much reason not to Dual mine, plus there is an extra 2.5% Eth at pool each day.

Benchmark for 1070's for dual mining SC and ETH using Nvidia 369.05 drivers provided by Claymore's for his Dual Miner!

DO NOT SET A FAST OR SLOW SETTING (-etha 0 or 1) in the bat file.

It appears: the sweet spot is 50, this maximises the Ethereum shares found per hour for each 1070's hashpower.

Below 50, you lose a lot of shares (6.29%) accepted per hour on ETH and above 50 you lose a lost of shares accepted per hour on ETH.

For example: at SC setting of 70, you see a 6.29% drop in Ethereum shares accepted found, but hashpower has only been reduced by 1.9% in the dual mining mode.

Therefore, you end up being 4.39% worse off, in ETH mining efficiency.

Should people find the the sweet spot for dual mining ETH and Decred for AMD or NVIDIA GPUs, please post a reply.

I will be fine tuning the Dual Mining the 1070's settings in next week and will post and update.

----------------------------------------Turning to rumours of Bots intercepting you pool connection and stealing shares------------------------------------------------

I have no evidence that Bots exist - e.g. they intercept your pool connection and pinch your shares and reassign them to the Bot operator's account or wallet address!

It is alleged Bots steal up to 12% from the major (established) crypto pool shares from a mining rig.

It is alleged Bots steal up to 25% from the minor (under development) crypto pool shares from a mining rig.

Therefore, I feel it is something that needs addressing, even if what follows is an entirely hypothetical - since I am explaining how to stop Bots, when it is only a rumour Grin

Firstly, with mining software, which is open source (no fee disconnections) the solution is pretty straightforward.

There are 2 types of pools: a) wallet address pools; b) sign in accounts.

a) Simply use a new wallet address each time you restart your miner - a Bot can only intercept old connections from the public list of pool wallet addresses. Where it to indiscriminately intercept all connections to a pool it would be discovered.  

b) Set up a new worker, with the longest randomised password on each restart of your crypto rig. Delete of, all, the very oldest workers as you go along to help the account mining pool out.

Claymore Dual Miner - private miner with fees:

a) Using new wallet address will work, but each time you disconnect there is always the chance a bot operator will be able to intercept your re-established connection. However, they won't know the exact time of disconnections, therefore it will be hit and miss. The 2nd algo is always connected, so simply using a new wallet address each time you restart will keep the bot out.

b) Set up a new worker for both account mining pools, with the longest randomised password that the pool allows. Eventually, a bot operator (if you have one who is a hacker) will be able to crack the password on the ETH mining pool and intercept your shares. Therefore, you will need to set up new workers and passwords every 1-2 days to maintain your share averages and ETH payouts. Delete of, all, the very oldest workers as you go along to help the mining pool out.

Future major improvements: to the Claymore Miner would be not to disconnect from the main ETH mining pool, but merely to stop doing work for up to 72 seconds when doing Claymore's fee on his mining connection.

Therefore, some hypothetical solutions to deal with rumours of Bots on the POW algos.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 11:16:41 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2016, 12:56:14 PM by thevictimofuktyranny

Just as update:

You may see posts about overclocking the 1070's close to 2Ghz,

This will, indeed, get you to about 29.5mhs Dual mining ETH.

However, I would imagine temps will be pretty toasty  Cheesy  Grin Perhaps with watercooling?

However, I have not tested solo mining ETH at the pool, because I'm expecting their will be lower amounts of shares found per hour then dual mining e.g. the 1070's will not have enough workload to mine efficiently and will find less shares per hour.

On the power side for 1070s - no overclock:

Solo mining ETH uses 96watts.

Dual mining ETH and SC use 117watts

Yelp, that is right - dual mining uses only 21 watts more electricity on the Pascal GPU architecture than solo mining ETH Smiley

This tends to indicate - the Pascal GPU architecture will be very short on workloads when solo mining ETH at a pool.

Dual mining SC calculations are:

UK electricity costs per day 21 watts: £0.05
SC earning per day: £0.21
malekbaba
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1026

SellDefi.com | Earn by selling files

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 11:50:31 AM

please post the .bat setting for AMD 7950 card for claymore dual mining miner. Please
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 12:10:02 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2016, 06:16:09 PM by thevictimofuktyranny

please post the .bat setting for AMD 7950 card for claymore dual mining miner. Please

GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool eth-eu.dwarfpool.com:8008 -ewal deleteandaddwalletaddressETH -epsw x -eworker rig1 -dpool stratum+tcp://siamining.com:7777 -dwal deleteandaddwalletaddressSC.rig1 -dcoin sia -allpools 1 -allcoins -etha 1 -dcri 22 -r 734 -estale 0 -cclock deletewithGPUclock -ttdcr deletewithmaxtemp

Set powerlimit, memory and fan speed with AMD Overdrive.

These are settings for 200 series and 300 series GPUs, you may have to adjust for you GPU - as it is very old.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 04:03:32 PM

Can you explain the difference between slow mode and fast mode ?  What is the actual difference you saw in testing ?
LegendaryMembership

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 04:29:24 PM

don't forget to add -tstop 85 this is very usefull to control our temperatur
anyway i think you must move this thread to mining section
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 05:36:23 PM

don't forget to add -tstop 85 this is very usefull to control our temperatur
anyway i think you must move this thread to mining section

Nope, put it here for reason.

7 months left until POS!

I want every newbie GPU owner to crypto-currencies to mine and have ETH in a wallet Smiley
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 11:16:19 PM

GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool eth-eu.dwarfpool.com:8008 -ewal deleteandaddwalletaddressETH -epsw x -eworker rig1 -dpool stratum+tcp://siamining.com:7777 -dwal deleteandaddwalletaddressSC.rig1 -dcoin sia -allpools 1 -allcoins -etha 1 -dcri 22 -r 734 -estale 0 -cclock deletewithGPUclock -ttdcr deletewithmaxtemp

Set powerlimit, memory and fan speed with AMD Overdrive.

These are settings for 200 series and 300 series GPUs, you may have to adjust for you GPU - as it is very old.

If you did some testing you'd know that you only have to set GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT for 2G cards.  The rest are unnecessary, and can even cause problems.
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 11:22:38 PM

Many GPUs rig owners have been reporting getting 10%-25% less shares or payouts for mining Dagger (Ethereum) at the pools, when compared to the mining calculators. I decided more than 2 weeks ago to research this topic for the benefit of the GPU rig owners' community.

Most calculators are accurate.  For example, I've checked this one:
http://karldiab.com/EthereumMiningCalculator/

In testing with my fork of Genoil's miner, pool returns are within a couple percent of calculated when averaged over a few weeks.
https://github.com/nerdralph/ethminer-nr/tree/110
I've tested with MPH and Coinmine.  Returns on dwarf are lower, probably in part due to dwarf not sharing uncle inclusion rewards.  They also didn't reward stale shares the last time I checked.
Mugatu

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 11:58:59 PM

and how long did you run these tests for?
TheRider

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 01:54:34 AM

Firstly, running the CPU at 3.5Ghz and 3.3Ghz does result in more shares (4% more then when power saving modes for Intel and AMD) accepted per hour, when dualmining or solo mining at a pool, but above 3.5Ghz their is no extra shares found per hour.

What do you think the reason is for this 4% increase?
Dev_Sempak_coin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 05:20:09 AM

Nope, put it here for reason.

7 months left until POS!

I want every newbie GPU owner to crypto-currencies to mine and have ETH in a wallet Smiley

any official ANN for POS system ?

Mastercon

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 07:33:23 AM

Extra Watts Dual mining is 27%.

R9 290 uses 45watts.

This costs (in UK) £0.10 more each day.
The extra SC (SIA) is worth £0.27 more each

Therefore, not really much reason not to Dual mine, plus there is an extra 2.5 Eth at pool each day.

Is that for one 290 card that you get £0.27 more each card? So the extract earning is £0.17 per card.

That might not worth the dual mining.
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 07:58:24 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2016, 09:30:08 AM by thevictimofuktyranny

Extra Watts Dual mining is 27%.

R9 290 uses 45watts.

This costs (in UK) £0.10 more each day.
The extra SC (SIA) is worth £0.27 more each

Therefore, not really much reason not to Dual mine, plus there is an extra 2.5 Eth at pool each day.

Is that for one 290 card that you get £0.27 more each card? So the extract earning is £0.17 per card.

That might not worth the dual mining.

You get 0.17 more a day net on SC

But, up also get an extra £0.063 ETH a day - through 290 hashing more efficiently on Dagger and finding more shares.

The ETH boost cost no extra electricity - so total gain is £0.233 per 290.

Furthermore, if enough GPU owners optimise their own hardware efficiency for their mining pool - the number of duplicate jobs will go down and their will be mining pool boost in efficiency - the mining pool will find more blocks and miners will get better payouts closer to Ethereum calculator figures.

For example:

A GPU owners has 10 R9 290s mining at TotalETHpool (not a real pool).

He/She has them on Intel Chipset/CPUs, when openCL needs AMD GPUs to be on AMD chipsets/cpus

He/She is sending 312mhz to poolside, but because they are on wrong chipset/cpu their efficiency to solve jobs is equivalent of:

254.3mhs

So, the stratum pool will assign jobs at 312mhs, but the rigs will solve those jobs at 254.3mhs.

Other GPU owners will then, be given more duplicate jobs to make up for that guy or gals inefficient rigs - this reduces the blocks found by the mining pool and reduces the mining payouts for everyone at at that mining pool!
DrX

Activity: 233
Merit: 20

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 11:50:26 AM

So you are saying that if i now got my rig mining with settings

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool TotalETHpool:8008 -ewal deleteandaddwalletaddressETH -epsw x -eworker rig1 -dpool stratum+tcp://TotalSIApool.com:7777 -dwal deleteandaddwalletaddressSC.rig1 -dcoin sia -allpools 1 -allcoins -dcri 45

I should change the dcri to 22 to get more shares?

My rig is 7950, 280 and 280x. (and now using Intel e8400)

Now i got Eth with 50.645 Mh/s and Sia 990 Mh/s (Claymore and -dcri 45)

when i change to  dcri 22 i got only Eth 50.487Mh/s and Sia 555Mh/s?!

I still should change the dcri...did i understand you right?

I have other rig with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 (am2), would it give me more shares?

Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 12:03:06 PM

So you are saying that if i now got my rig mining with settings

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool TotalETHpool:8008 -ewal deleteandaddwalletaddressETH -epsw x -eworker rig1 -dpool stratum+tcp://TotalSIApool.com:7777 -dwal deleteandaddwalletaddressSC.rig1 -dcoin sia -allpools 1 -allcoins -dcri 45

I should change the dcri to 22 to get more shares?

My rig is 7950, 280 and 280x. (and now using Intel e8400)

Now i got Eth with 50.645 Mh/s and Sia 990 Mh/s (Claymore and -dcri 45)

when i change to  dcri 22 i got only Eth 50.487Mh/s and Sia 555Mh/s?!

I still should change the dcri...did i understand you right?

I have other rig with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 (am2), would it give me more shares?

Need some basic information:

Ethereum calculator says you should be getting: 0.32ETH a day for 50.64mhs minus 1% pool fee.

But, my calculation says you will be getting under 0.285ETH a day. Is it correct, are getting under 0.285ETH a day?

Secondly, is ETH you priority or SC your priority?

sp_
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1087

Team Black developer

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 12:07:56 PM

You need to use the "frontier diff". Some calculators still use the old reward wich is higher than the current reward.

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 12:14:38 PM

You need to use the "frontier diff". Some calculators still use the old reward wich is higher than the current reward.

Etherscan calulator is showing:

0.328ETH per day for 50.64mhs minus 1% mining pool fee.
DrX

Activity: 233
Merit: 20

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 12:43:57 PM

That's what i'm getting...
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 12:49:48 PM

That's what i'm getting...

Cheesy Then don't waste my time posting with fake newbie account - this is an ANN for people who getting 10%-25% below the ethereum calculator.

You can't read English, can you:

"Many GPUs rig owners have been reporting getting 10%-25% less shares or payouts for mining Dagger (Ethereum) at the pools, when compared to the mining calculators. I decided more than 2 weeks ago to research this topic for the benefit of the GPU rig owners' community."

What is wrong with you?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: