Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:34:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know of a way to convert PayPal USD to BTC?  (Read 1339 times)
zdmas (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:16:31 PM

Hey guys,

I understand this is difficult because of the presence of chargebacks, so I'm willing to do some workarounds if necessary. Does anyone know of a way I could pay for BTC with PayPal USD directly, or indirectly (by converting into some other digital "currency", or whatnot)?

Thanks
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:43:34 PM

I would look for somone trustworthy. There's a thread in discussions that lists traders who have completed transactions without incident. For an indirect method some people convert to dowalla(?). That is sme kind of facebook money. If you have fb.

In any case paypal is becoming harder to trust recently.  Depending on where you live, this may be your safest option.:
http://btcnearme.com/

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 07:52:05 PM

You can buy Linden (Second Life currency) with Paypal, and then convert Linden to BTC-
Heard it is quite quick too but there are some limits to the amounts-

https://www.virwox.com/

Would love to hear the results if you go that route;

BiggieJohn

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:56:43 PM

You can buy Linden (Second Life currency) with Paypal, and then convert Linden to BTC-

I have been using VirWox.  it works, but their market depth isnt so good.
But yes, they are legit, and safe to work with as far as I can tell.

wahtever you DO NOT USE xchange4L$

PMC-1A11eCF2Rzqzy4PCrV9jabYv1fvYfmN2yc
Doge-D8KLtphcSB3qAkfjBdvceEMj9TJUiJrFd3
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:01:19 PM

Any method of moving funds from Paypal to BTC is dangerous for the person selling BTC.  No honest seller is going to do it without a significant risk premium.  It's possible that you could find bitcoin users in your city, particularly if you live on the East coast of the United States, and trade cash in person.  Or you might be able to find someone on the OTC network via IRC, but that's still risky.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
DDreez

Activity: 20

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:06:09 PM

BitMarket.eu has PayPal as a payment option. This site escrows the BTCs and the users transfer the funds via bank transfer (mainly EU residents) or PayPal (worldwide). It's peer to peer so you buy directly from approved users, not from the site itself. I myself have been buying there both with bank transfer and PayPal without problems. However they had a _lot_ of people sign up last week so they actually disabled new signups temporarily for technical purposes. Don't know if it's opened up again now or not. GL
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 08:08:03 PM

Nobody trusts Paypal anymore

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
zdmas (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:32:24 PM

Hmmm this looks good, also supports bitcoin payments, thanks for the tip.

BitMarket.eu has PayPal as a payment option. This site escrows the BTCs and the users transfer the funds via bank transfer (mainly EU residents) or PayPal (worldwide). It's peer to peer so you buy directly from approved users, not from the site itself. I myself have been buying there both with bank transfer and PayPal without problems. However they had a _lot_ of people sign up last week so they actually disabled new signups temporarily for technical purposes. Don't know if it's opened up again now or not. GL

I'll take a look at this too when the signups are reopened.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:16:53 PM

There really does need to be a more direct route for acquiring BTC. I don't see this breaking into the mainstream if it requires bank transfers, signing up to several services, 2-3 days waits, etc. It's just entirely inconvenient.

Elon Krusky
zdmas (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:19:06 AM

There really does need to be a more direct route for acquiring BTC. I don't see this breaking into the mainstream if it requires bank transfers, signing up to several services, 2-3 days waits, etc. It's just entirely inconvenient.

I totally agree.

Although, I did use $60 to get 2 BTC via the method outlined above using virwox.com. Currently they are doing manual checking to verify the transaction. I overpaid a lot for these, so it's gonna be a lot harder to make money off this investment, but it works.
forests

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:41:23 AM

Wow, I thought paypal didn't allow USD->BTC transactions because it was alternative currency... but linden is fine?
zdmas (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 05:24:27 AM

Wow, I thought paypal didn't allow USD->BTC transactions because it was alternative currency... but linden is fine?

Well Linden is actually approved by the government, or something along those lines.
sirj

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 05:26:31 AM

There are groups that turn paypal in to Liberty Reserve, which can then be turned into Mt. Gox, for purchasing BTC.

Or just look around for someone selling BTC, someone's sure to accept paypal.
Alik

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:55:42 AM

I think you can at bitcoinexchange.cc
awozny

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:33:06 AM

FYI,

VirWoX registrations are now open again.

Andrew
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: